Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Arik Gilbert 2023 NFL Draft hype is exactly what Kirby Smart warned against

SystemSystem Posts: 10,421 admin
edited May 2022 in Article commenting
imageArik Gilbert 2023 NFL Draft hype is exactly what Kirby Smart warned against

Arik Gilbert had more hype build ahead of the 2023 season.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was one of those who at this time time last year was saying: "If not this year, then when?" Some of you writers were like "there's no rush" ," it doesn't have to be this year" yada, yada, yada, ... but I could see all the things coming together, especially when Wyatt and Davis decided to return. I just thought JT would be the one leading us to the promised land.

I said then , that this year didn't look as good because I was figuring JT would be gone, we would have to reload on defense and we would be led by an inexperienced FR or redshirt FR. at QB.

THings in that area have fortunately changed with SB's return, so I'm more optimistic about winning it all today than I was a year ago.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 390 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Dawgs are too young and inexperienced at DT and DB to be counted on to win the National Championship. If they do have a chance, it will come with serious offseason work. The number one group is very good, but the 2's and 3's need to grow up quickly. UGA rotates, so even Freshman have to be ready for their reps. A lot of key plays are made by Freshman and Sophomores who grow quickly. Brock and Mitchell come to mind.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gilbert has the talent. So does Bowers, Washington and Delp. Could Gilbert go No.5? Yes.

With so much to learn - new system - not playing for a full season, I see no reason for such a lofty prediction that soon.

If Arik stays in the system for two years (unlikely) gets another two years of experience and development, then I could see such a lofty draft position.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A superb weapon in an arsenal of superb weapons who do you double cover, you can't. AG has elite talent.😎

• Options
    edubbedubb Posts: 54 ✭✭✭ Junior

I have seen a lot of Alabama press lately about UGA should be thanking Alabama for the Natty. Training Kirby,etc? I would say Alabama should be thanking UGA for lending Kirby to them to allow them to win several Natty’s. With Kirby almost a Natty every 2.125 years. Post Kirby a Natty every 3 years with one being given to them by a ref’s intentional call mistake? Without that call it would be a 1 Natty in 6 years. If you are going to spin Bama spin it all.

• Options
    JBMDawg46JBMDawg46 Posts: 366 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hope Arik has a great year. However, he looked sluggish in G-Day game imo. I think Kirby saw that too. Hence the comments about getting in better shape which would probably include losing another 10 to 15 pounds. Delp looked faster to me. Then you add in Bowers and Washington. Arik had better get to work if he expects to play ahead of those guys.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I kept remarking during G-Day, Arik doesn't look crisp....like he was "sluggish"...as one commenter put it..yet look at the numbers he put up....a slimmer, trimmer more fit Gilbert will wow the fans and crowd....and coaches. Count on it

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

LOL...They forget, when Richt fired Willie Martinez, UGA went after Smart...and Muschamp. Both were given significant raises to keep them at BAMA and Texas, respectively. UGA wound up hiring Todd Grantham.

They did it again when UGA fired Grantham, and wound up settling for Pruitt.

UGA had to fire Richt, to get Smart. Excuse the pun. LOL

When Smart announced he would be returning to UGA, Saban was the most unhappy HC in college football...and he was playing for a Championship that year.

When Kirby came, he fired Pruitt and brought Mel Tucker with him...and eventually, Scott Cochran. Saban knew, that without Smart, his days of dominating defenses was OVER. That's when he turned to Lane Kiffin to re-imagine the BAMA offense.

UGA is perfectly set up this year to take advantage of Monkins expertise. They will dominate on the offensive side of the ball and will be good on the defensive side. With their retooled defensive backfield, I look for more turnovers.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dude...I could care less about numbers. That doesn't show me anything...especially in Spring scrimmages. The guy has hands and instincts, you can't teach. Gilbert, like Bowers and Delp, is the real deal. D. Washington is a great TE, but, those 3 guys are in a league of their own...different. A new breed of TE. A hybrid version along the lines of Tony Gonzales on steroids. I can't wait to see this group in action. It's going to be something very special...please God...no injuries this year.

I thought, last year, that Bowers was the equivalent TE version of RB Herschel Walker, as far as impact. Make no mistake, Herschel was no more or less dominant...with the obvious exception of world class speed. That being said, I'm not sure which of the two had more explosive plays. Walker had to make changes to his game in his Sophmore year, and like Bowers, he had shoulder issues in his Freshman year. He played with a separated shoulder in the Sugar Bowl, against Notre Dame in 1980, for the Natty.

Git em Dawgs.