Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Jimbo Fisher fires back at Nick Saban: ‘Maybe somebody should’ve slapped (him)’

2»

Comments

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why doesn't the NCAA ban any discussion of NIL before the student is enrolled at the school, and also ban any coordination between schools and the companies signing the kids to NIL?

Of course, such rules could be secretly violated. But just like other NCAA rule violations, there would be high stakes for anyone getting caught.

I agree with most commenters that Saban's not wrong but that Fisher didn't break the rules. Still, Saban's got a point (similar to what Smart has said previously): NCAA has got to get a handle of the situation or else it becomes basically schools bidding for players.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The NCAA doesn't have the authority to issue or enforce any such ban. The antitrust lawsuit won on player's behalf at the Supreme Court level is settled law until Congress changes the law.

Technically, School Coaches and Administrators are banned from direct involvement in NIL deals, yet they all have NIL advisors on staff to guide their student-athletes in finances and tax issues.

A coach, Sports247, ESPN, Rivals and others identify the top Football players and their target schools/players every year. I don't have to talk to Coach Smart, to know which players to direct my money to. Smart, Saban, Fisher...none of them, have to directly communicate which players they want. We all know, by the end of Summer. You can't stop a Booster, Business, Collective, from offering a kid an NIL deal, as things stand right now. THAT'S illegal.

If you can prove a Coach was directly involved, then maybe you've got something. Other than that...Good luck with enforcement as long as the NCAA doesn't have antitrust protection. The NCAA would be in court every day of the year...and lose.

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I see no hope for anything approaching competitive equity if unrestricted collectives pay the game into a distant memory. I do hope we can get Congress to provide that antitrust exception. If so, student athletes could still get reasonable NIL compensation from the team's collective, but the same financial ceiling for each collective would apply to all BCS schools, insuring that the highest bidder doesn't win each case whether it is retaining a proven entity already on the team (eg. Brock Bowers) or a very well sought after recruit.

• Options
    Slabdog64Slabdog64 Posts: 31 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fisher has decided to call out Saban in the press. Thats fine and dandy in May. He better hope he can coach this fall. I'm pretty sure Bama has that game circled and Saban will be ready.

• Options

LOL...I think their fans have it circled too. From what I heard on the Paul Finebaum Show today, I expect there will be a lot of fights at that game...just between the fans. Texas A&M and BAMA fans, officially hate each other now. 🤣🤣

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Saban didn't say anything that the rest of us didn't already suspect. What I think they should do, is have a cap on the NIL, much like the salary cap of the NFL.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 654 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If it takes an act of Congress, that's fine by me.

Whatever it takes, NCAA needs to get a handle on NIL, settle on a solution, and lobby Congress -- if necessary -- on legislation that protects athletes' rights while also protecting the sport.

• Options

I think it's going to take a come-to-Jesus moment for Congress to get on board. A kid is eventually gonna get screwed by a deal or a School and go public as in sue a University or Collective. It's bound to happen sooner or later. We'll all find out where some of the bodies are buried from one of the kids being bought. That's kinda what happened at USC and Ole Miss.

Once that happens, the NCAA will have some Congressional support. Right now, they see it as bad politics to get between a kid and a bag full of money as long as the SCOTUS says it's legal and the NCAA is in violation of antitrust laws. There's not much sympathy on the side of the NCAA, Big Business and Universities. Especially in these times of want. They could care less about Football or any other Collegiate Sport....right now. That will change soon enough, IMO.