Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Preseason Stetson Bennett hype is meaningless, scoreboard will tell 2022 Georgia quarterbacks story

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited July 2022 in Article commenting
imagePreseason Stetson Bennett hype is meaningless, scoreboard will tell 2022 Georgia quarterbacks story

ATLANTA — It’s all just talk about Georgia football right now, but that’s what SEC Media Days are all about.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    doubledawg1990doubledawg1990 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭ Junior

Nice article, MG. Re-watched natty last night (don't ask me how many times at this point!) and at the end, SB and Bryce Young hug it out. (It appears) Bryce Young is no taller than SB. In fact, may be a bit shorter. Doesn't translate into who's the better QB but it debunks this "what he looks like when he gets off the bus" stuff.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 391 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I agree with doubledawg. Bennet is bigger than the Young. I don't see how analysts don't see it. Bennett was better than the other QB's. He may not be the best in that QB room, but he's the best on the field. Desire plays a HUGE role. It took years for Stafford to learn to desire a pro championship - he just didn't at UGA. Want it bad enough to bleed out for it. Stetson has that.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

The best thing Stetson has going for him is still being able to play college football at age 25. Coach Monken said it best when comparing Stetson to Tom Brady. 'Look at Brady, he's making plays that he didn't/ couldn't make at 22-25 years old, Brady's body caught up to his football IQ and the rest is history. Sees similarities in Stetson's physical maturity.' Was something like that but some of the hits Stetson took last season would probably have put a younger Stetson Bennett on the sidelines for a few plays. I'm real sick of the "Teebo Gospel Commentary" as well.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited July 2022

There's nothing in the track records or tape of Levis, Hooker, or Richardson that blows me away or screams success on an SEC gridiron. In fact, I'd beg to differ that a few of their coaches might in fact be happy to have a proven Stetson Bennet (or Beck, Vandagriff, or Stockton, for that matter) over their own QB at this point. Can't wait for this season to begin... it's great to be an underdog, despite being last year's champs and still brimming with so much talent. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I would compare SB to maybe a Tim Hudson in baseball. Hudson was only 5'10" and certainly didn't impose fear from his precense on the mound, but once he started pitching, he was a beast. Heart of a tiger. What SB does well, he does really well. Can't do everything all the bigger arms do, but they don't ask him to. Ge the ball out quick, be accurate, don't make fooolish throws, be confident and know what you're doing. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I hate the way Stetson is dismissed because of his height and HS “star” status. Heck, he’s taller than Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson and the last time I looked Baker Mayfield had limited “stars” and was also a former walk-on. The most important thing to me is leadership and the Mailman certainly delivers in that category. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

This year's QB talent in the SEC truly is astounding.

Consider this: In addition to Bennett, Tebow's list doesn't include KJ Jefferson, Will Rogers or Jaxson Dart!

Honestly, it's hard to fault Tebow for leaving those four off his list. A case could be made for ALL NINE of those guys being among top 15 in the country.

• Options
    GoodtimeDawgGoodtimeDawg Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good points MG - Stetson is Georgia's best chance to start the season against Oregon. He has earned that by his playtime last year and in the post season. I am sure Kirby and Monken are watching him closely and will make any changes if it comes to that. The Georgia team will no doubt be playing with a chip on it's collective shoulders because so much of the media will be talking about Alabama and how hard it is for Georgia to win a championship two years in a row. That's ok, that is fuel for Georgia's fire and I am excited to see how Georgia comes out firing this year. It's great to be a Georgia Bulldog! GO DAWGS!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think that after watching the Spring Game, everyone should agree that Bennett should be the starter with Beck in there if needed. Stockton is too inexperienced and Vandagriff isn't quite "there" yet.

Now, comparing against other former Georgia QBs is kinda a loaded question. Of course most people should pick the most recent QB as well as the one that led them to a NC. In addition, 5% chose Eason which is silly as while he is a DGD, Fromm clearly was better than him in everyway. I suspect that JT is going to have a huge year (and hope so, he deserves it) and I bet there will be some "why did we let him go" type comments. A better question would be a deep dive comparison between Bennett, Aaron Murray and Jake Fromm - all EXCELLENT college level QBs.

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"I would compare SB to maybe a Tim Hudson in baseball."

Or a Greg Maddux. Maddux even had the right nickname because of his competitiveness: BULLDOG!