Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

First impressions: The most physically imposing Georgia players who stood out on Day One

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageFirst impressions: The most physically imposing Georgia players who stood out on Day One

ATHENS — The first look at the 2022 Georgia football team left an impression of another national championship contender.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He's just not a tall dude. BUt don't let him take his shirt off!

• HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Beck is physically imposing? Conveniently left out the Mailman… at this point, he is THE key to Georgia’s offensive success. He looks a bit beefier than last year… will he, once again, answer the challenge? It remains to be seen, but my bet is that Bennett will have his best year, not just because of his experience and ‘baller’ tenacity, but because he appears to have a solid O-line and tons of promising skill position players around him.

• pepinpepin Posts: 52 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited August 2022

Huh? Kelee Ringo is 6'2" 205 which is very big and tall for a CB and even for a safety. A few years ago when everyone was imitating FSU's 4-6 defenses (prior to the current era when everyone emulates the Saban 3-4 defense, Smart included) you would frequently see linebackers smaller than Ringo.

Also, Carson Beck is 6'4" 215 lbs, or maybe 220 lbs. That was considered good size in the pro-style era with guys like Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Drew Bledsoe and Troy Aikman. These days in the spread/RPO era that allows guys like 5'8" Kyler Murray to be the #1 overall pick and 5'11" Bryce Young (who may still grow an inch or two as he was a true sophomore last year) to likely be the 2nd QB taken and a top 5 pick Beck clearly has above average height, size and arm strength. He doesn't remind anyone of Josh Allen, Cam Newton or Daunte Culpepper, granted, but he has the physical tools that Jake Fromm and SB IV didn't/don't and is clearly the best physical specimen among the QBs.

• CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Mike G. meant to say that Ringo and Beck DID come off as imposing for their positions -- just not as startlingly sp as Mims or those three tight ends. Anyway, he's just reporting what he saw on the field, so I'm happy for the update.

This makes me feel REAL good about our DL! And together with those earlier reports on Smael Mondon, it makes be feel good about our entire front 7!

Also, just wanted to put in a word that Vandagriff ain't no slouch at 6-3/205 and just a sophomore. I wonder if his play will catch up with Beck's in time to get some playing time.

• BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think that’s the key Loran. Can you imagine facing this depth in the fourth quarter and wave after wave of hungry Dawgs just keep flying full steam after you. There’s nothing some of these teams can do. Florida, Tennessee, Auburn, SC. Y’all had better buckle up tight or it’s not going to be pretty. Go Dawgs!

• BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

""though their size isn’t quite as imposing, and they are better judged with the ball in their hands:""--MG

Bennett fits this description as much, if not more, than Beck and Vandergriff. Why he was left off the author's list of players, beneath the paragraphs header...only Mike Griffith can answer that. Griffith has tendencies, too. He's rather predictable with regards to his QB assessments. LOL

FYI, MG and other Dawg Natiom writers continue to insist Beck lost his #2 QB position, which he never had, to Bennett, after the post-Clemson, Monday practice. This is a ridiculous statement and hasn't been confirmed by any of the coaches. No QB in the history of football has been replaced on the depth chart, based on a Monday practice, which is usually a shorts and shoulder pads event...especially after a game as physical as the Clemson game. After a full off-season of Spring Paractice, OTA's, Fall Camp and numerous scrimmages, I assure you, Smart and Monkin didn't need to see Beck in a light practice, to decide he wasn't ready to run UGA's offense. That decision had already been made. Bennett moved into the #1 position after the Clemson game and Beck was named the #2 guy. The thing that confused everybody, including Dawg Nation, is that Bennett had not been officially "named the #1 QB" until the UAB game.

On a different website, Smart is quoted at the "SEC Media Days" as saying that going into the 2021 season, there were coaches that thought Bennett should start. Daniels was not a consensus pick to start against Clemson last year. That duty could have gone to Bennett as some of UGA's coaches believed Bennett gave them the best chance to win "all of the games". Daniels didn't match up well against a few of their opponents on the schedule, while Bennett's mobility worked in every scenario. I think Kirby kinda boxed himself in by naming Daniels "Team Captain" at "Media Days", in 2021. In a toss up... He sorta had to go with Daniels, for the sake of credibility with the team. That being said, Bennett was the #2 QB heading into last season.

Bennett's value to the team, is a given. He's one of the guys, that it's not necessary to mention in "up-and-comer" articles, anymore. Like the '69 Mets aren't "The Amazing Mets" anymore...Bennett isn't "The Amazing Walk-on", in 2022. He dropped that label last year, as far as I'm concerned. Now, I expect him to perform like a pro.

As far as the other 3 guys...Based solely on the Spring Game, Beck and Vandergriff are virtually equal in physical stature and arm talent. Beck makes better throwing decisions and BVG has a better feel for when to take off and run with the ball. Beck seems to play with more confidence in the passing game, while BVG is a little more hesitant with his decision making, leading to errant throws and forced QB runs.

It would behoove UGA to get both of these QB's significant game-time, early and often, to improve their confidence. Not at the expense of victory, obviously. It would be nice if they could run the scores up a little bit, to allow for experience building...on both sides of the ball.