Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart on playing marquee non-conference foes at Georgia: ‘We don’t run from that’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,486 admin
edited August 2022 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart on playing marquee non-conference foes at Georgia: ‘We don’t run from that’

Between the two Notre Dame games, last year’s Clemson opener and this year’s game against Oregon, Georgia is no stranger to playing big games against non-conference foes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,149 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Non-conference premiere games: “Our fans want that—I want that,” Smart said. It generates a lot more excitement, and you recruit off that. Sure, especially if you win. Get blown out and that gets old in a hurry. I would not say it would be a recruiting tool at that juncture....at least not as powerful a tool. Oregon lost a very good player to a tragic accident. They are playing for him...a powerful motivating force. This could be an interesting first game. I believe UGA will win. They have depth and incredible talent. Young team but well coached. If they communicate and sync...it should be over in the first half. Depends on how UGA integrates the RBs. UGA can beat Nix if he is the starter.

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That's what we want marquee non-conference games it keeps us stronger focused and motivated, after all iron sharpens iron. 😎

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Blown out? Blown out? Blown out? Dude...I know you aren't referring to UGA getting blown out by anyone. Ever, as long as Kirby Smart is coach. Get with the program, catch up to the times already. These aren't your daddy's Georgia Bulldogs. Not even the ones you have known for about 5 1/2 decades or more it appears.

Blown out? Come on, man! The foundation was laid. The defensive side of the program is now fully constructed. Complete. Done!

When the top wide receivers start to come, its a wrap. You think the Kirby Smart firmly established finely tuned and running on all cylinders defensive program will ever get blown out? Even with inexperienced youth? Come on, man!!! Blown out. Smh...

• Options
    ChewDawgChewDawg Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby's the man. Giving not just GA fans, but all fans...what they want. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You can never predict whether a team will be good or not years in advance, but if you choose a major program (like Oregon in this case), you're bound to benefit greatly from it and I'm very happy that this is Smart's philosophy.

Historically, this has benefitted us in the rankings as well as we are almost always one of the top 1 or 2 loss teams.