Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: Texas gamebreaker Anthony Evans III has made his college decision

Comments

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

You been drinking again or is it anger issues? UGA is fine. I will take UGA's overall roster over every other team in the nation, except 1 or 2 that have more experience or defensive depth. Don't forget the defense! Would you like to trade defenses with those teams? Enjoy the ride for pet's sake! You just won the Natty LOL!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 475 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The articles are more than likely pre-written awaiting the young guns decisions. Jeff seems to invest a lot of time and energy with these recruits and at the end of the day there is always the possible flip or two, thus always show the love. Well except to the gators and those barn boys

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yes, UGA has put 10 WRs in the NFL versus OU's 9. But two things.

1. Blue chip recruits want programs that have a track record of developing players at their position to be high draft picks who go on to have 10 year NFL careers. It is the 3 star players who are looking at programs that give them the best shot at merely making the NFL.
    2. UGA signed top 10 recruiting classes for 15 years under Mark Richt and has now signed top 4 classes for 6 years under Kirby Smart. With the exception of a few years following their 2000 national title, Oklahoma didn't recruit at that level under Stoops or Riley. So Oklahoma's putting basically the same number of OL, WR and RB in the NFL as UGA - and far more QBs - despite signing much lower rated recruiting classes does make choosing to go there savvy.
  • Options
    plrdawgplrdawg Posts: 157 ✭✭✭ Junior

Why all this background, and fluff for someone who committed to another school? Give him creds when he commits to the G. Don't waste our time, on other teams commits. If they change their minds, spend some time, giving them some air time.

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 382 ✭✭✭ Junior

Stop hating on other people, I for one thing Brent has earned this and I hope he does well for him and his family. Stop losing sleep over a WR who has #45 at his position. Go to a Florida Gaytors page for that type of negativity, you would fit right in over there!

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 415 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mark my words...Kirby will flip 2 players thought to be locks, but went elsewhere. Oklahoma won't win 8 games this year.

• Options

God your logic and arguments are laughable! Of those 10 drafted, none of the UGA have done anything to separated themselves as a top WR in the NFL...Pickens is still a ?. Our last best WR that went into the league was A.J Green over a decade ago. OU has Hollywood Brown, CeeDee Lamb, Sterling Shepard, etc. who were 1st or 2nd round picks. Please for the love of God do your research!

• Options

Lol, I agree! I remember just a 3-4 years ago, UGA fans were complaining on why we don't use the TE's and how we cannot get them...but now we have all the talent in the world in the TE room but now everyone is mad the WR's are 5 Stars...your can't always have it both ways, we have good WR's, they might not be 5 stars, but they do the job. Stop stressing UGA fans and R...E...L...A...X!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

NO Sarcasm from me here, or me trying to be Mr. Know It All, cause I sure Don’t, and I learn new things all the time. But there’s allot of dismay among quite a few Dawgs fans at the Seeming lack of success at WR. I’ll explain the Seeming in a moment. But let me first preface and then ask a question. Brock Bowers is a Known commodity right ?? Darnell Washington same thing right ?? AND as great as those guys have been they are No Where Near their ceiling !! So which of those would you trade off for a 4 or even 5 star WR recruit coming out of HS ?? And our RBs, would you trade Kenny Mac for a 4 or 5 star WR recruit coming out of HS ?? OK my point you ask ?? Even the Mighty Bama don’t get All the greatest players at All positions !! Of Course like most Dawgs fans I’d Love to see us land a couple of sky high potential WR recruits !! Would be very nice !! But I have to be realistic and just know that the Dawgs ain’t gonna land All the very best HS players !! But just LOOK at what we Do have in the TE room, the RB room, the O Line, and as far as Potential pretty much All the Defense !! The thing I see coming from Dawgs fans is a fear or worry of not being able to stretch the field. Well I’m not That concerned over that issue as though they might not have been 4 & 5 stars out of HS but we have WRs now that Can stretch the field !! Lastly and this is a repeat of what Some Dawgs fans here have said, the recruiting season is Far from over !! Plus if it gets down to it Kirby can look at the JUCO ranks closer Or dip into the Transfer Portal more than he has in the past. Our beloved Dawgs are gonna be just fine !! And they Can and Will be contending Very Hard for another Ntl. Title !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    1. This is NOT a stunning surprise. Fans who paid attention (some are on this string) knew this kid desperately wanted to play for OU. He KNOWS that UGA is the better school and team, which is why we had momentum to get him. But for his own personal reasons, which he is entitled to, he just wants to be an OU Sooner.
    2. No @navydawg , I wouldn't trade any of our current TE's for a 5-star receiver coming out of high school right now. But we don't HAVE to do that. The TE's are ALREADY on the team. We're looking to see what NEW blood we can infuse, which is what Bryan McClendon was supposed to do. Which brings me to . . .
    3. Just WHAT has McClendon done since he returned? He's swung and missed on all the top recruits that he was supposed to get. I hope I'm wrong, but I honestly don't believe we're going to get either of those two other top receivers we're pursuing. Somehow, the stank eye is on us when it comes to offensive players -- especially elite wide receivers -- and so far B-Mac has been unable to cleanse us.
    4. Finally, I don't believe that other schools are "cheating" their way to these players with NIL money. But I am beginning to wonder if there isn't something a bit off about the way we run or use our NIL "program," for lack of a better term. I mean, I just don't get the sense that it's a game changer for us. Shoot, I don't get the sense that we even really use NIL. It's very low-key. I know we can't use it for direct recruiting. Right. Whatever. But I don't get the sense that even after players arrive at UGA and do well, that they're going to be raking in the cash, unless they're a warm-and-fuzzy story like Stetson Bennett. Like, is Brock Bowers making a mint now? Or Jalen Carter? What about Ringo? Maybe so, but there just doesn't seem to be any buzz around our NIL exploits like you hear about at other schools. And without that buzz, I think we're going to lose a few other top recruits and yes, the 2023 recruiting season is all but over except for the "leftovers." The main guys, with one or two notable exceptions, are off the board.
  • Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

Agreed!

Remember, with Coach Kirby and his staff, the recruiting is never over until signing day! Too many examples of young men flipping to UGA at the last minute to give up hope on any of them! See e.g. George Pickens.

So why should we , as fans, or Jeff Sentel, as a Dawg reporter, burn a bridge with a negative/ stressed out comment or a short/negative article!? He continues the love with these posts and that’s a good thing!

These are just kids, after all, who sometimes are just overwhelmed with the enormity of it all.

And, heck, there is always the transfer portal for these young men to rectify their decision!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

@ColumbusDawg said:

“UGA is fine. I will take UGA's overall roster over every other team in the nation, except 1 or 2 that have more experience or defensive depth. Don't forget the defense! Would you like to trade defenses with those teams? Enjoy the ride for pet's sake! You just won the Natty LOL!”

Agree with this post!

Other teams are obviously recruiting against UGA in regards to their style of offense/use of WRs….

Let’em! I think Jeff’s reference to the Dad’s comment says it all. Good WRs will come to UGA for the chance to be developed against the best DBs and the best overall defense ! Very smart and wise man! I think Ladd McConkey and A D Mitchell have done all right.

And we’ll just keep winning NCs while other teams and their WRs have stats and losses!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

surprise surprise. We led until the end, when our history and NIL impacted the decision. This roller coaster stinks.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I get Some of what your saying. And agree to some extent. But to win a Ntl. Title I don’t think our Dawgs will necessarily Have to have the top WRs coming out of HS. Remember that BMac was hired to Coach as much if not More than to recruit. We haven’t had enough Time to see what his coaching work will produce. So Coupled with all these Great TEs, Great RBs, Great Defense, I’m hoping & thinking that if he can Coach Up 3 stars and maybe land an occasional 4 star ( Yes 5 stars would be Great or so we could Assume), then With that caliber team the Dawgs Will be in the conversation for a Ntl. Title every year. That’s what I meant when I asked would any Dawg be willing to Trade our TEs, our RBs, our Defense. We’re simply Not gonna get even close to All great HS players at All positions !! Even Bama doesn’t do that !! All told Kirby and his staff are doing a Fabulous job recruiting, Especially when you factor in the NIL thing. And in closing some of these schools better be Very, Very careful about the NIL stuff as the NCAA has made it clear they Resent it but can’t Legally Stop it. But I’m sure they are watching Heavy NIL schools with a very close eye………and just waiting for a mistake.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

I never stated UG had higher draft picks than OU, re-read the comment.. All I stated was UGA has put more WR's in the NFL than OU. That coming from an article written by another "expert".

• Options
    edited August 2022
  • Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2022

Yep. And if we do start running an offense with the WRs running wild, as soon as that happens we'll start seeing all these same complaints and criticisms about runningbacks.

• Options
    edited August 2022

Not hating, or losing sleep over a kid. His decision won't affect my life in any fashion. I simply stated my opinion, same as you. You don't have to agree with it. And I'm positive no one held you at gunpoint and made you reply. If you don't like it, it's simple, read it, and move on.. It's that easy.