Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Gimme 5: Why Georgia hasn’t, and likely won’t, have a home night game in the 2022 season

SystemSystem Posts: 10,485 admin
edited October 2022 in Article commenting
imageGimme 5: Why Georgia hasn’t, and likely won’t, have a home night game in the 2022 season

Welcome to Gimme 5, a weekly Q&A where one member of the DawgNation team answers your questions about the Georgia football program. To ask questions, simply check out the DawgNation forum and your questions could be featured in a future edition of Gimme 5.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

"Any changes we get black uniforms for the Tennessee game?"

Those black jerseys are hideous, and I hope we don't see them anytime soon. There is a significant psychological advantage in wearing the uniform that is associated with the Dawgs success. The intimidation factor that comes with that uniform should not be underestimated. This is just my opinion, and I understand that there are a lot of great people who make up DawgNation who disagree. I understand. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

Agree with everything in your post, except for the word "hideous" ! 🤣

I love the black jerseys with the red pants and the silver britches, but I definitely think that your statement about the psychological advantage of our red jerseys as an intimidation factor is a very valid point! Although the UTjr game is not the time to wear those jerseys, they would look great if we had them on for the Tech game!

Go Dawgs! Let's kick some gator, vol, wildcat and the imitation bulldog butt!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Putting aside the subjective aesthetics stance (on which I strongly disagree with you), I find this to be a questionable argument. By my unofficial count, the Dawgs are 5-1 in black jerseys. I'm not sure what the historical record in red jerseys is, but I'd be willing to bet it's not better than .833. You might argue Georgia's stellar home record under Smart, but I know it's not better than the 1.000 record in black jerseys since he's been here. Also, the last time we lost in black jerseys was 14 years ago, which of course can't be said for red jerseys; any association with black jerseys and failure should be long gone by now.

Now, obviously, the black jerseys present a much smaller sample size, and they've been applied much more selectively over the years. But the point is, if you're going to correlate jersey color and success rate, that would be an argument for black jerseys, not against them.

• Options

@E_Roc I didn’t mention anything about the success rate associated with either color, that’s just a meaningless superstition. I mentioned the psychological advantage and the intimidation factor that I believe comes with the familiar red home jersey. I’m fine if you and others disagree as I said in my original comment (I understand). These two factors are very real for UGA and other teams in several different sports. In some cases, they don’t factor enough to get a win. You still have to go out there play the game.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2022

"There is a significant psychological advantage in wearing the uniform that is associated with the Dawgs success."

I never thought you were going the superstitious route. But you very clearly did link jersey color to success. You seem to be making a different argument at this point, regarding familiarity as opposed to success, and that's fine. My only real rebuttal to that would be that I've argued in the past that the black jerseys should be part of that standing/consistent tradition, black being one of our two official colors and all. But I can see I'm not going to persuade you on that so I'll just leave it be.

• Options

@E_Roc you are right, I did associate the red jerseys with success. I should have been more clear that I didn’t believe the success was a result of the Jersey color. The black jerseys probably didn’t deserve my description of “hideous”, I just don’t like them and I should have left it at that. You and I will yell just as loud for them no matter what color. I appreciate the dialogue. GO DAWGS!

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t like alternate uniforms. Prefer red jerseys, red helmets and ‘silver’ britches. Let Oregon wear weird stuff, but the Dawgs belong in red! 🤣

(And yes, I will never get over that awful loss in the black jerseys! 😐)