Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Georgia Tech’s coaching future holds the key to ‘Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate’ mattering again

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited November 2022 in Article commenting
imageWhy Georgia Tech’s coaching future holds the key to ‘Clean, Old-Fashioned Hate’ mattering again

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

I recall the Joey Hamilton years and that Roddy Jones game, those memories still sting. I know there are some who talk about the forecast calling for rain, well let me tell you…rain, sleet,snow, or shine I hope they beat the brakes off of em.

go Dawgs!

• Options
    Billy2131Billy2131 Posts: 155 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited November 2022

I believe it was Buck Belue who said that you might think that Rburn, FU, or UTjr would be the dirtiest rival, but it was Yech.

He said they would do stuff that was just u.g.l.y.

Honestly, I think the biggest insult of all would be for UGA to say, "Since y'all are irrelevant, we don't feel a need to continue the rivalry."

If UGA puts it away in the 1st half, I really want to some Beck come out in the 3rd quarter and light it up for the fans!

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just goes to show you how worthless and what a joke bowl season has become when a potential 6-6 Tech team (Tech currently 5-6) might even remotely be considered for a bowl. With 30+ bowls it's become ridiculous and not special at all for the few teams that actually deserve the recognition and bowl game.

• Options

Gotta say I have mixed feelings about all the bowls. I like having games all December and half january. I see there are a lot of doo doo bowls out there but for those teams going to them I see it as an opportunity for them to feel important even though they aren’t playing for a natty. It also allows for a dozen more practices for these kids to get better for future endeavors.

just my 2 cents.

• Options

@Vetdawg....understand what you are saying, but with so many bowls now, the "special" and meaning of it has gone out the window. The bowl season used to be great when you had a dozen games between Christmas and New Years involving teams that earned a right to be in a bowl. It's just about money now, nothing more. It's a joke now. I don't even watch the bowls until much closer to New Year's Day. A team that is barely batting .500 or just above that shouldn't deserve a bowl. They are just trying to fill slots now with too many bowls and not enough deserving teams. It's a slap-in-the-face to deserving teams and makes a mockery of the entire bowl system. We all make fun of it.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 712 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The Jasper Sanks phantom fumble really turned this into more hate towards them for me. Johnson’s arrogance too. Go Dawgs!! Wreck tech!!

• Options
  • Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I couldn’t care less if this is ever a “real” rivalry game again! I want the Dawgs to beat the ever-loving crap out of Tech every time we play them!

As for the bowls, there is only one bowl season now…those bowls that make up the playoffs. Players opting out and coaches using practices to prepare for next season has reduced all the other games from The Granddaddy of them All, when not in the playoff rotation, to the Toilet Bowl to nothing more than no big deal exhibitions.

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

About bowl games...

I, too, am on both sides of it. I do like the idea of bowl games throughout the holiday season, but recognize that it's gotten out of hand. Fortunately, I have a solution!

Get it down to 10-15 games, outside of the playoff, and base it on the final rankings. The playoff ranking goes out to 25, so put the rest of that official ranking to some meaningful use. It would take a little tweaking, since an even number of teams is needed to make bowl matchups. But they could take it out to, say, a top 30, and have 13 bowl games outside of the playoff. Then match up 29 vs. 30, on down the line until you get to the New Years Six games.

Which brings me to my second point. And honestly I think this is at least as important as reducing the total number. Give every bowl game a real name. No more of this Corporation.Com Bowl bullsht. Even if good teams are playing, it's not possible to take a game seriously when it's so blatantly reduced to a glorified ad. At most it should be Real Name Bowl presented by Corporation.

And just to make sure everything stays fair, just give every team those extra practices. Why not? It would actually set up nicely going into the next season for teams that don't have any more games to play, since it will allow them to focus more on the players who will be coming back. Each team can decide for themselves how to incorporate the players who will be moving on. I imagine it would be optional, and they can take on more of a coaching role if they want to be a part of those practices. Or they can keep getting reps if they have a shot at the draft.

Anyway. It'll never happen. The fact that bowl season is in its current state to begin with is a testament to the power that corporate money has over the sport. Next up: 12 team playoff.

• Options
    edited November 2022

Also, does anybody know what Connor's tweet above is about? Beating 1, 4 and 5 by 142 points?

Update: Never mind, was stuck on the thought of actual rankings.

• Options
  • Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Call Tech a rivalry. Don't call it a rivalry. Makes me no difference. It's just game #12 on the schedule and we need to win it to remain undefeated and keep the top seed in the CFP. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    edited November 2022

@E_Roc....not bad suggestions. Yes, the silly names have gotten out of hand. I remember growing up how cool it was and how much I looked forward to bowl season back in the 70s and 80s. The games meant something then for teams that deserved to be in one. And like you said,10-15 games IS plenty.

Another idea: The FCS just announced their 24-team PLAYOFF schedule. Expand the FBS playoffs to 24 teams and include MORE teams in the actual playoffs. Do that and get rid of the bowl games altogether or incorporate more of the bowl games in the playoffs.

I'm halfway joking about the idea above, but the idea does have some merit. If the FCS can handle 24 teams, then there's no reason we couldn't expand further.

• Options
    Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    Dawg01Dawg01 Posts: 53 ✭✭✭ Junior

I was at Mark Richt Field for last year's game. 52,000 there and I promise you, 45,000 were Dawgs. It was their Senior Day. The small crowd was so uninvolved with Senior introductions that you had Dawg Fans clapping for them (kid you not). The clock ran the entire 2nd half and the quarters were shorten to 12 minutes and it was still 45-0. It is the most one-sided football game I've ever attended at any level.

I think they'll come in and battle - but it will not matter. Fully expect the Dawgs to take care of business.