Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ohio State Monday Scouting Report: Buckeyes arrive in Atlanta with ‘second chance at life’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited December 2022 in Article commenting
imageOhio State Monday Scouting Report: Buckeyes arrive in Atlanta with ‘second chance at life’

ATLANTA — Ohio State arrives in Atlanta with a unique shot at immediate redemption.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited December 2022

I had forgotten that Alabama lost their last game in 2017, though I did remember how their much-hyped third straight playoff contest against Clemson turned into an unwatchable morass between two teams with no passing game. It is amazing how Jalen Hurts went from not being a viable QB and the sole deficiency holding back a loaded team in 2017 to being the NFL MVP a mere 5 years later.

Still, comparisons between this Ohio State team and UGA in 2021 or Alabama in 2017 are invalid. Whatever can be said about Alabama's losing Metchie and Williams, UGA still had 15 draft picks in 2021 and could easily have 10 in 2022. Alabama 2017 wasn't quite as loaded, but still had 12 picks including 4 first rounders. The next year they won the SEC, went back to the title game, had 10 picks including 3 in the first.

Ohio State, by contrast, doesn't have anywhere near that type of talent. Plus they won't even be the favorites to win the Big 10 next year. Michigan - who is clearly better coached and with better systems on both sides of the ball at this point - will be, and what is more Penn State might even join them.

UGA hammering Ohio State on Saturday may actually signal the Buckeyes' exiting the scene as a national power, just as USC losing to Texas did in 2005 to the Trojans and - ironically - Ohio State trashing Clemson in the 2020 playoff appears to have done to the Tigers. I would add Oklahoma to that list, but as the Sooners haven't won a title since the current Vols head coach was their QB, they were never a legit national power anyway.

• Options
    EastmandawgEastmandawg Posts: 145 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited December 2022

Nice comments, agree with most all of it.

However, not sure about the “talent” comment……if you believe in the rankings that Rivals and 247 (composite) do. The 4 year talent is a good one to use as a measurement, but as a tool only imo:

I think most look at this when they compare the talent levels for both teams. But to me, so much more goes into it……coaching/development, chemistry with the staff and players, character, experience,”the want to”, teams and staff conditioned to tough play week in and week out, etc.

For these reasons, all of this may separate the two teams……and the reason I like the Dawgs chances, but I always like our chances every game…..but “any given Saturday”, things happen.

Once again, good comments, thanks.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2022

“ATLANTA — Ohio State arrives in Atlanta with a unique shot at immediate redemption.”

If the USC loss in the PAC 12 Championship gave tOSU their “shot at immediate redemption”, it’s going to take some substandard play from the Dawgs for them to move on to the next stage. They’re going to need some busted coverages by the Dawgs secondary, and a couple of turnovers by Stetson and company. If UGA shows up to play mistake-free football, the Buckeye’s dream of “immediate redemption” will end pretty early. The kind of football UGA played against Oregon, South Carolina, Tennessee, and the first half of the LSU game is more than good enough to dispatch any of the other three teams that make up the playoff bracket. The only team that can put UGA out of the playoffs is UGA.

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think this will be a great matchup and an exciting game to watch. You never know what to expect when a team like the Buckeyes has 5 weeks off between games, and the Dawgs 4 weeks off. Sometimes it's a blessing, but sometimes it's a curse.

Who's hungrier? Which team shows up more completely? Who plays error-free football? Who's got the best game plan and is able to execute? Who can score TDs vs FGs? Who can convert 3rd downs better? Who can make adjustments as needed? Which team can limit the big plays?

These questions and more will decide which team wins on the 31st.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

‘the’ OSU can absolutely beat this Georgia team. However, I believe it will require something akin to Georgia’s defensive implosion during last year’s SECCG against Bama.

As you, @MikeGriffith, like to say (lately), if Bennett comes out in top form for the game, this Georgia team seems mostly unbeatable. And yet, even if Stetson does not have a great game, Georgia still has so many ways to win. My prediction remains a rosey 45 Georgia 17 OSU.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It seems that every story has to do with ohio state wanting to get revenge for their loss to Michigan. I don't know that I see anything mentioning that they want to beat UGA and win the National Championship. If this was a story about us we'd be saying we were looking past our next opponent.

So keep looking and go home sad, ending the year on the letdown of never getting that second chance.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I see uga getting ahead by four scores, then running clock, followed by subs getting valuable playoff experience. UGA 30 - OSU 3, plus garbage points. .

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Hemingwey

UGA actually does have flaws. The problem is that Ohio State and Michigan can't exploit them. (Of course for UGA fans this isn't a "problem.") Ohio State in 2019 could have as back then they had a dual threat QB, a 2000 yard rusher at nearly 7 ypc and a fast defense that still was mostly Urban Meyer recruits. LSU 2019? Clemson 2018? Alabama 2015 and 2020? Ohio State 2014? Same. I don't think that anyone in 2016 or 2017 would have been able to beat this UGA team either.

But right now, no one has the pass defense to cover Bowers, Washington and McIntosh at the same time because the pass defense personnel is constructed to cover 3 WRs down the field, not TEs and RBs on short and intermediate routes. And no one has the talent on offense to prevent UGA's front 7 from making them one dimensional. No great dual threat QBs this year - the Heisman voters liked Caleb Williams a lot more than I did - and no pro style team with future Pro Bowl tailback, multiple NFL starters on the OL and a good vertical passer at QB the way Alabama did in 2015 and 2020, and LSU in 2019.

Of course, UGA can continue to recruit excellent TEs, RBs who can catch plus QBs who can make plays in and out of the pocket and get rid of the ball quickly as their new base offense going forward. None of these defenses that are mainly built to stop the spread passing offenses will be able to handle them.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@thadec I think this is your best post ever on this site. While I don’t agree with everything you say in your post you make some interesting and excellent points! I agree that this Georgia team is not without flaws; however, the schemes dialed up by the coaching staff have mostly (not always—see the D secondary in the SECCG this year) covered those.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawg fans, it will soon be time to rock the Benz again! Turn it up as loud as you can. Do YOUR part, and if the person sitting next to you ain’t loud enough, slap them! LOL Just kidding, don’t slap them! Just encourage them to turn it up! You can make a difference. Let’s go, baby! Let’s go!

GO DAWGS!

BEAT OHIO STATE!