Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football winners and losers following iconic win over Ohio State

2»

Comments

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@CandlerPark

So ... you are able to point out UGA's not having their pass rushers but Alabama is not able to point out their not having their WRs? By the same token, Ohio State was missing their best player on offense - yes Jaxon Smith-Njiba is better than Harrison - and their best tailback. And then they also lost Harrison during the game thanks to a UGA player giving him a concussion. Meanwhile Ohio State had no plan for Arian Smith because they had no tape on him - he missed the entire season - and he roasts them for 130 yards.

So if the Buckeyes and their fans aren't saying "coulda woulda shoulda" ... maybe you shouldn't either? Because I have to be honest. The Buckeyes offense with Smith-Njiba and Henderson would have been A LOT more explosive than the one UGA played. With no Henderson - and with Miyan Williams gimpy and out of shape as ESPN infamously pointed out - Ohio State had no running threat, because their most talented back was missing and their big change of pace back was way less effective. Which they badly needed, for example, on that last drive in order to turn that 50 yard field goal into a 45 one. Instead of running up the middle for a 2 yard loss on first down and throwing 2 incompletions on the next two downs, they likely let Henderson do his slashing moves on counter plays the first two downs and then let Williams power ahead on third down. Or they are able to do play action with Henderson in the game and then throw to the wide open Cade Stover over the middle, who they also lost during the game.

That's just one example. In reality, Ohio State had to play the national title game without their best WR and best RB, and they had to play the second half without their second best WR and their best TE. And they lost by 1 point thanks to a missed field goal at the end. And none of their fans or players are talking about this. To the contrary, CJ Stroud is on the front page of this blog (for now) congratulating UGA on a great win.

So how about you leave alone the coulda woulda shoulda talk and just enjoy the win? Because when you see Smith-Njiba tearing up the NFL next season, you are going to be REALLY GLAD that you didn't have to play him on Saturday. Because that is who Kelee Ringo would have been covering because Smith-Njiba is better than Williams. And this means that Emeka Egbuka, a 1000 yard receiver, would have been covered by UGA's slot DB. Because Ohio State's base offense is actually 3 WRs when they are all healthy.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 831 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I disagree with both of you. Nobody from Bama, OSU, or Georgia for that matter, gets to use the "woe is me card" when starters get hurt. Alabama, Ohio State, and Georgia-- all 3 and maybe the only 3-- have such depth thru perennial top 5 recruiting that when their 1s do down, there's little discernible difference when the 2s or 3s step in. It's an insult to those 2s and 3s (who'd be 1s on any other roster, including TCU, and practice against the very best in the country every day of the week) to suggest otherwise. So for us Georgia fans, I think we should count our lucky stars for Kirby and staff recruiting that we are so "unfortunate" that we have to lean more on the likes of a Robert Beal, or a Mykel Williams, or a Marvin Jones, Jr. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can't agree on the officials. Was worried a PAC12 crew couldn't officiated an SEC type game. They pretty much let them play and didn't cover the field w/flags. Football is impossible to officiate. There are penalties and holding on almost every play. Pretty shocked they called almost no penalties on OSU.

BUT they got the "targeting" and Bowers spot calls right/corrected after reversing what was called on the field. That took real cohones. Would have been easy to ride with "the play stands as called on the field". Hard to bash the officials after seeing much worse all year.

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There is NO WAY you can label C.J. Stroud a "Loser." If the contention (and it's a weak one) is that he's a loser because "somebody" has to be a loser in a game, then label the ENTIRE OHIO STATE TEAM as a loser. But don't single our Stroud, not after the game he played. That's utterly ridiculous and just lazy journalism. Do better. And Go Dawgs!

• Options
    DallasDawgDallasDawg Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wish I could up vote this post more than once! Instead, I will just say kudos for a comment that needed to be pointed out! CJ left his heart and soul on the field and through his bitter disappointment, displayed outstanding sportsmanship and faith as our Dawgs celebrated the victory!

• Options
    CandlerParkCandlerPark Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually, I was making the same point as you. But I guess I was unclear. My point was that everybody can play the "if only that guy hadn't been injured game."

When people make excuses that way (whether its Harrison this year or Williams last year), the winning team can almost always come back and say, "Well, we were missing key players, too."

Just as you said, at this level -- and particularly with Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama -- the teams usually have a "next man up" who's almost as good as the guy who's out.