Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

How a win over UAB gave Stetson Bennett the prospective he needed to shine for Georgia football

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageHow a win over UAB gave Stetson Bennett the prospective he needed to shine for Georgia football

Welcome to Good Day, UGA, your one-stop shop for Georgia football news and takes. Check us out every weekday morning for everything you need to know about Georgia football, recruiting, basketball and more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• KBPKBP Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

What's really sad is that in spite of the clear evidence from the Arkansas game forward that he could actually play, I was not completely sold on Stetson until the Michigan game. Bring another trophy home kid!!!

• bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 275 ✭✭✭ Junior

I think the headline should read "perspective" (I have a right to point this out as a graduate of UGA).

• SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I expect Bennett to play with composure. He does not need to be spectacular. What I do want to see is more than 200 yards on the ground. Do not forsake the run game, but focus on trap blocking and sweeps. Make use of the size and speed advantage you have up front.

• OBX_DawgOBX_Dawg Posts: 1 ✭ Freshman

I think it’s interesting that all of a sudden the narrative is that Stetson Bennett got “Benched” in 2020.

Connor, Stetson got injured on a late hit in the Florida game on a beautiful TD throw that put us up 14-0 after our first 2 possessions. The same play also saw us lose Marcus Rosemey-Jacksaint for the season. If they don’t hit him late, that’s a totally different game. Stetson tried to finish the game with a separated shoulder, then got dragged by the fan base for an ineffective performance

i was always under the impression that Stetson was “forced to yield” to JT because of that injury, I never felt he was “benched”.

after that, the “fans” were so loud in their criticizism of Bennett (both here and other places) because of the poor showing in game 2 @Alabama, and because of the loss to Florida, that the coaches decided to go with JT the rest of the way, thinking he was the higher upside

Funny how things work out sometimes.

Since then JT transferred to WV, won the job, lost his starting job, transferred again to what is now his 4th school, and we’ve gone from USC to Georgia to WV to …. Rice Yikes

meanwhile we all know what Stetson has done!

go mailman. Go Dawgs!

one more W!

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I was wrong about Stetson, not that I didn't like him, I did, I just thought JT was the better option of the two. I watched alot of JT's HS tape and thought he was the next best thing to sliced bread. I'm not sure if it was injuries or just his ceiling maxed out in HS or what to be honest, but he's now lost the starting job at 3 different schools. Like Monken said, sometimes you don't see what's right in front of you.

THe thing that you can't see from watching a video tape sometimes is the size of a person's heart, and what makes them tick(the intangibles). That's why, I just call SB the Little Train that could. He just keeps plugging alone til he get to the top of the Mountain.

• CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

The last game JT started against Vandy he was 9-10 with 4 TDs JUST IN THE 1ST QTR. That's some kind of ceiling to max out to. All he did at West Virginia is improve their offense by 2 TDs a game over last year.

And lost his job? How do you do that, in 3 different places? Especially if you actually did improve the offense by 14 points on avg.? Maybe it's a mobility issue or what?

• CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Change in coordinators at USC(while JT was injured) then mid-season at WV. Also here's a news flash: WV's defense not quite as good as the Dawgs. Plus the coaching staff was on the hot seat before the season started which led to instability.

I would challenge anybody to rewatch last year's South Carolina game in which both QBs played multiple series and come back on here and post "Best player plays" with a straight face. JT was lighting it up while Stets was doing the same bone-headed things he still does today. I don't think we'll ever really know what happened behind the scenes but it for sure wasn't "Best player plays". If going undefeated and having the highest passer rating in school history and improving the offense by a full TD when JT took over for Stetson in 2020 isn't enough to keep your job then nothing is

• StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

The journey Stetson Bennett has taken over the years should be inspirational to all of us who aspire for something greater. Who knows, if you don't give up regardless of what others say or things that may sideline you, you just might achieve your goal(s) in life. And maybe even win a championship or two.

Interesting choice of Rice, don't you think? No big time program offered him? I guess we'll know more after next season. Rice opens with Texas and Arch Manning.