Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Todd Monken to reportedly interview for NFL offensive coordinator job next week

SystemSystem Posts: 10,439 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageTodd Monken to reportedly interview for NFL offensive coordinator job next week

At least one NFL team has taken note of Todd Monken’s success in his time at Georgia, as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are reportedly set to interview Monken next week, according to a report from Jenna Laine of ESPN.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No real surprise here. But I would be surprised if he doesn't get an offer from Tampa. Keeping my fingers crossed Monken stays put as the Dawg's OC. My bet is Kirby knew this day was coming and already has a short list of potential replacements. Unfortunately, Bama is in the market as well for an OC and DC. Just another typical day for Saban in the coaching carousel that is Bama.

• Options
    PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I just want to know what Monken's game is. Perhaps everything he has said is BS. He likes to win. Well, how many undefeated NFL teams, are there? It can only be money. There is no other reason. Does he think an NFL team will pay him more than $2 million? Maybe?

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The chance to 3-peat goes way down if he leaves.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

We knew this day would come.. Sure hope he stays at UGA. Byron Leftwich made far less than 2 million as the OC at Tampa Bay. And I doubt Tampa Bay would come close to matching the 2 million Monken now makes at UGA.

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Taking the interview could mean something. He is out recruiting now. He has strong ties with Tampa B. as we all know. All is speculative at this time. I hope he finds again that all is not gold in the NFL. This would walk back our chances for a third Natty... Bobo amd McClendon simply are not Monken....even though both are experienced. All my opinion.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I highly respect Monken and his expertise, but we need to realize it’s not the end of the world if he leaves. A good example is Clemson just hired the OC who beat Monken for the Broyles award. There are likely a bunch of amazing OCs out there and I assure you Kirby knows who they are. Also, don’t forget we can afford to pay the highest salary in the nation for an OC since that’s what Monken is making. Life is good and we will survive. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not saying it’s possible. But could keeping your finger in the NFL conversations help with future contact negotiations at UGA?

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Monken is the highest paid assistant coach in CFB. He is not leaving UGA for another CFB OC job. He sees the size of the UGA staff and how hard everybody works to reach the top. He gets to focus on football over recruiting during the season. He has no desire to be a CFB HC and toil in mediocracy without the staff and effort he sees at UGA.

NFL OC is a much easier job. But it doesn't pay as well and has less security. Byron Leftwich's salary was half of Monken's. Plus Tampa may be looking for an entire new staff next year if Bowles stumbles again.

All things equal Monken is an NFL OC. But all things are not equal. The smart move to Monken is to stay put for 3 years and then retire or give the NFL a last shot.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@BubbaBill

You are correct, there are ALOT of other good or great and talented other OC’s out there.

You are also correct, if he leaves our Dawgs, it is not the end of the world.

What is not correct, IMO, is to assume, the way Connor does in this article and some in others, that if McClendon or, Lord help us, Mike Bobo, takes over the position as OC, that it would be a great move for UGA and the Dawgs offense.

That would be a DISASTER.

Mike Bobo and McClendon should NEVER be given the keys to Georgia’s offense as their OC.

That would be a terrible move and, dare I say it, the END of the WORLD, in a non-literal sense.

Mile Bobo will be forever known for, as long as I am on this earth, as the lead architect and orchestrator of FIRST and ****.

And not only that, but the way he acted after those decisions he made as the OC against Spurrier’s Gamecocks, the blowback from we fans and the media, and his response to we Dawg fans, instead of just admitting his absolute **** use of not only Todd Gurley AND the non-mobile QB Hutson Mason in calling a naked bootleg on 1st and goal from the 4 yard line in the middle of a severe rain storm on the road in Columbia SC, he acts like a know-it-all and says we would have cheered if his idiot play-calling had worked.

Nonsense. You have Todd Gurley in the backfield. On the road. In a rain storm. With a QB who couldn’t run and escape from a disabled child in a wheelchair. Just like Seattle against the Patriots with the skittles guy in the backfield in the SuperBowl.

Bobo would ruin our offense. RUIN IT.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

With all due respect ( and I Mean that) I’m gonna have to disagree with you on this. For one Mike Bobo as Mike Bobo wasn’t That bad, maybe not the best, but he had good times, he was just streaky, with good and bad times mixed. But this Might be a New version of Bobo. He might well under direction from Kirby been studying and learning Monken’s ways. I mean Kirby had to know that at some point there was a high risk that Monken could leave the program right ? Surely Kirby wouldn’t just wait till the last second and try to plug the hole if Monken did leave ? I would think that Kirby especially after Seeing first hand Monken’s success after his first full year, told someone Alright get your notebook out and start taking notes !! As Bobo has been an O analyst since coming back to UGA it’s a fair assumption that He would be that guy. The ole saying about you can’t teach an ole Dawg new tricks is just that, an ole saying. If this is a revised version of Bobo I think he would be a good choice. P.S. Someone down voted you wasn’t me, my comments are merely my opinion, hey I’ve been wrong many times !!

• Options
    edited January 2023

Oh and UGA should at least tempt Monken to stay. They could tell him Get Us Another Natty and we’ll give you a 15% of your salary bonus. That’s a $300,000 bonus in addition to the $2 mil salary he’s already making !! That’d be hard to turn down, but Very reasonable on UGA’s part. We All know the revenue from winning a third Natty in a row would be HUGE !! That would be chicken feed out of UGA’s coffers to Try to keep him !! If he’s gonna leave, then he’s gonna leave, but he’s done enough for the program in terms of coaching and recruiting that he’s very much worth a $300,000 bonus contingent on winning another Natty. And I’d think he’s got to be curious what a new QB ( probably Beck) could do, right ?

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not too worried at this point. He's paid well and has 2 Championship rings and a chance to continue building dominate offenses and helping the kids grow into real talents. NFL jobs don't offer that. He has made it very clear in interviews he wants to win. Unless you are offering him a team that can win the Super Bowl, I doubt he'd be interested.

• Options

Yep. Agree with your comments. And Bama showed us the bad things that can happen when you have a talented roster of players, but you don’t have the coaches to match. For sustained success it is imperative that you have Both great players and great coaches. I’m not trying to be sarcastic or pessimistic toward Anyone I promise. But I’ve read several comments on here that if Monken does leave it’s no big deal there’s plenty of great OCs out there. Not trying to be a smart butt, I just really want to know. Can someone name Three Great OCs that are currently available ?? By Great I mean the perception that the vast majority of college football fans would say that Hey that guy is a Great OC. !! Please make me feel better !! As I’m not so sure there are that many Reliable Great OCs out there.

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

I think the interview is maybe a negotiating tactic toward UGA…can’t blame him for that.

and it may be a courtesy…my mom always told

me to never burn any bridges.

Tampa Bay will be a dumpster fire next season.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think you are being a little hard on Bobo. He has spent 3 yrs studying the Monken O and working closely with Monken. You think he is the same guy he was as OC for UGA way back when? Don't forget that UGA also has better players now than back in those days. I think he is the OC in waiting.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@navydawg

It’s all good fellow Dawg fan.

I can handle disagreements.

I am just not a fan of Mike Bobo as OC and the years from 2008 to 2014 when he was calling plays and the whole Joe Cox era and some other things that happened during that time period Like the embarrassing Bowl game loss to UCF and all that nonsense.

It is what it is. I am just glad it is in the past.

Oh what a long way our Dawgs have come since then! I would rather not revisit that awful past and Bobo was a part of that time period I’d rather not relive.

Is it possible he has changed? Maybe.

But then again, maybe not.

Dont also forget that it was only a couple of seasons ago that virtually the ENTIRE SC gamecocks team walked out on Bobo as the interim coach and the Bowl game opportunity they had. Something just rubs me the wrong way about that entire thing.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

From what I've read there is precedence for an NFL OC to make up to 4 MIL a year. Doubt that anyone would offer that to CTM but a contract could be put together with incentives. Coach Monken seems to keep things close to the vest, hard to know what he's thinking. He has a great thing going here, I would hate to lose him but with the talent we have and Kirby calling the shots the future is bright....

• Options
    DawggyDawggy Posts: 346 ✭✭✭ Junior

Kirby will out-bid the NFL, to keep Monken. If he goes anyway, get Buster back from GT, and make he and Bobo Co OCs. Hell, Bobo had a 43 point a game offense, with half the talent on the O-line as this team. And his QB was Hutson Mason.