Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Todd Monken to reportedly interview for NFL offensive coordinator job next week

2»

Comments

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

For those doubting Mike Bobo he is a DGD, a great recruiter for the state of Georgia and a long way removed from a Mark Richt coached team. He would be a good OC, I hope CTM stays, continuity goes a long way....

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Unless they offer him significantly more $$, I sure don’t get why he’d want to go back to the Bucs. They are in a downward spiral right now. On top of that they don’t know if Brady will retire or stay. At UGA his probability of success is vastly higher. Oh well I’m just a fan, I sure don’t know all the nuances of these deals. Guess we’ll all find out soon enough.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

@navydawg

There's:

1. He's accomplished all that he can on the college level
    2. Winning a Super Bowl as an OC
    3. Becoming an NFL head coach
    4. He is 56 so his window for becoming a first time NFL head coach is closing and the way that the college game is going - giving HC jobs to guys in their 30s - he isn't likely to get a college job at a major program at this point either
    5. Are the Bucs as dysfunctional as people think? They only gave up 19 sacks this season with a 45 year old QB who threw the ball an incredible 733 times this season (the most in the NFL by a mile). They also had a top 10 defense (though playing the Falcons, Saints and Panthers twice might have padded those stats).
    6. Another shot at the NFL isn't guaranteed. The Bucs went 19-29 with him and the Browns 6-10. At UGA, he had the #38 offense (#41 in yards) in 2020. In 2021, he had the #9 offense, but #28 in terms of yards, indicating that the defense did a lot of the work. 2022 was a lot better: #5 overall and in yards ... but with a ton of upperclassmen talent to get it done with and running a scheme that absolutely will not work in the NFL. So it is debatable whether he is as highly regarded in the NFL as he is in Athens. Note that there was no interest from the NFL in him last season. Also, going from college OC to NFL OC doesn't happen often unless you have prior NFL experience. Usually it is from college OC to NFL position coach. While Monken has experience, it wasn't positive.

Not saying that Monken will go or that he should. But if he isn't content to be UGA's OC for the rest of his career, well see above.

• Options
    edited January 2023

1) No he hasn’t accomplished All he can at the college level. He could help and be a part of winning Three National Titles in a row which is Extremely Rare, would be Huge in CFB History. And with what UGA has returning is a Very achievable goal, VERY. 2) Winning a Super Bowl with Any NFL team is a monumental task and Considerably more difficult than winning a Ntl. Title in College Football, because in the NFL it’s pros vs pros Both players and coaches. The Bucs are a rebuilding team that are currently in a downward trend. Not saying they Can’t come back, they probably will, Eventually. But that could take several, several years. No he’s not really an old man, but at 57 he ain’t no spring chicken either. 3) You contradict yourself here, I don’t watch or keep up with the NFL but the Bucs already have a HC do they not ? So if he took the OC job How Long would he have to wait to get a shot at the HC job ? And as they desire younger coaches in their 30s what assurances would he have that they would promote from within ? 4) The OC that the Bucs just fired was making $800K per year as I understand it, that means the Bucs would have to offer $1,200K More just to match Monken’s current salary. Plus UGA as I understand it will be giving him a $100K bonus for this last Ntl. Title. I’m confident UGA would give him an even fatter bonus for a Third Natty. The pressure to provide near instant Positive results will be even greater in the NFL. Are the Bucs gonna be willing to pay him Significantly More than he’s making now at UGA ? Keeping in mind his predecessor only took $800K per year out of their budget. When you close with 6) we seem to be in agreement I think. Unless the Bucs are going to pay him Significantly more $$ AND there’s a definite potential for him to leap frog to a HC position, there’s really no reason for him to leave UGA. Unless the idea of being a part of a winning Super Bowl team is a challenge that he just can’t resist. I’ve read that he Loves to win. But chasing the star of winning a Super Bowl is far more improbable than this 2023 Dawgs team winning a Third Ntl. Title I’m not totally naive and though Yes I’m a homer to the Dawg bone I realize that winning a Third Ntl. Title in a row would be absolutely Monumental, this 2023 Dawgs Team has the players to do it. They just need the same level of quality in Coaches. Stability is the key. If Monken stays he could be a part of a Extremely Rare event in CFB history. I’m not internet search it but I think there’s only been two maybe three teams to Ever accomplish it in all CFB history, None in the modern era. So hopefully for the Dawgs sake he’s just making the interview to keep or increase his stock with UGA, and see just what the Bucs Would offer, and as another poster said Not burn a bridge. If he does leave because of the issue of stability it will make that goal more difficult for the Dawgs.

• Options

@Loranwhaddayagot I agree with your take. And he could see just What Woukd they offer ? But I think unless it’s significantly more than what he’s already making, I just don’t see him leaving. The Bucs are currently on a downward trend and will need rebuilding in many areas. They don’t know if Brady is staying or retiring. When he came to UGA, Kirby had a great group of talented players already in place. And I’m not just referring to the Offense. Kirby had already been recruiting ( he and his staff) at a Very high level before Monken joined up. So Monken saw the potential for the Dawgs to be a winning team for him to be a part of. UGA has and I think will continue to be Very generous with his salary. He’s the highest paid OC in all CFB. I just don’t see him leaving that for a potentially rough ride in the NFL that could leave him unemployed in very short order, as the Bucs are going to want instant success at a very high level.

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gotta go back to Minnesota in the 1930’s when teams played about 8 games for the only legitimate three-peat in CFB history. So yeah, winning 3 in a row in the current era would be unique. It has not been done.

• Options
    ATDATD Posts: 259 ✭✭✭ Junior

Big Monken fan here, but "In Kirby We Trust"!

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 513 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Monken has deserved the opportunity to go back to NFL if he desires and most Dawg fans will respect that. After all, while he ain’t the only reason, he is a major reason we’ve been able to enjoy back to back titles. I think he is gauging how bad the Bucs or any other organization really want him and they will have to show it by setting the OC bar in salary. The Bucks are not known for elite salaries for their coordinators but usually scale at about average. Average is 1 million dollars. I think they will have to offer 2.5 to 3 mil just to peak his interest. If they do, Georgia will have the opportunity to counter. I really like Monken and he is a great asset but I think Georgia should stand on his current 2 mil until his contract renewal time comes or else, we may be doing this on a yearly bases. If Monken leaves, I wish him well and hope Kirby can lure Buster back. I truly think he is a young Monken. He has been in that style of offense since at least his college days.

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited January 2023

I believe it comes down to personalities

would you rather Coach kids who MUST respect you or men who can just as easily cuss you out

would you rather spend 20-30 hours a week more recruiting and coaching young men or spend those hours with your family

is college actually harder and more hours than the NFL? College doesn’t really have an off season. Do pro’s really work and train year round?

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great point. If he stays, I feel there needs to be an adult conversation, this type of situation is not beneficial to encounter every year. I understand that with success comes coordinator turnover but I also know that long term retention of coordinators is possible , Bud Foster.

If this is indeed something we are going to encounter every year then we should reserve the right to upgrade as well if presented with the opportunity

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can remember talking with my brother-in-law who is a huge DAWG fan himself, rehashing some of Bobo's calls back in the day and both of us just shaking our heads. There were always 2-3-4 maybe 5 calls a game like that. I don't want to revisit those days in the future.

Om the other hand i know money isn't everything when you're set for life, but I think it would be hard to say good bye to a million a year, or even 500K. Baby always needs new shoes.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Excellent point! CTM has to consider that he is currently under contract as the highest paid OC in CFB, with a Head Coach that’s not going anywhere for the foreseeable future. With Tampa Bay, his job security is only as good as Bowles’. It is very realistic to expect 10 more years at UGA under Smart, making a salary that’s more than comparable to NFL money. It is also very realistic that Bowles is out at TB in a couple of years, and CTM is back in Jimmy Sexton’s office (or whoever his agent is) hoping he can work some magic.

One of the biggest factors that has to be considered, but none of us has mentioned is how Mrs. Monken feels about it. Just sayin…

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    LoranwhaddayagotLoranwhaddayagot Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, I feel like UGA can have its pick of OCs and Kirby shouldn't settle.

I'm still hopeful Monken will stay for 1 more year at least, but I'm hopeful that we could get an NFL caliber OC.

I've heard Joe Brady's name mentioned for Alabama's OC job...if Saban doesn't get him, is there a chance Kirby could?

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Just for the record I didn't say I would want Bobo as OC, but if it came to that I think he would do a good job. Just don't see the ignorance some of you display wanting to bash or belittle him. It's easy to hide behind a "vote down" key. If you disagree why not have a responsible debate.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Love Monken. Absolutely love him! That aside, I don’t want a Harbaugh experience after every season.".......If I know anything, it's Monken is a straight shooter.....He's told us what he's going to do......the "Harbaugh experience" you mention is all Mike Griffin, Connor Riley, etal stirring the pot with easy post. Monken has made it crystal clear that WINNING is paramount. As I have mentioned before, Monken is HIS toughest competition. Given the DAWG talent level for 2023, especially at QB, he will have a very good chance at eclipsing all of his previous accomplishments....plus the very good possibility of being the only OC 3-Peat NC in the modern era...... the only positive in reference to the Tampa Bay job......IF Brady returns, he wouldn't have Gisele telling him how to best use Tom.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 938 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I like the way you think!!! Buster would be PHENOMENAL and paired with Bobo, who is no dummy and has learned from the very best and matured and would be great in his on right, would be MONKEN 2.0.....I don't see Todd moving on for another year or so.....By then Buster will be more than ready! I see Bobo getting another HC if he's (or family) is really willing to try it again.