Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Todd Monken reportedly interviewed for Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator job this week

SystemSystem Posts: 7,416 admin
edited January 2023 in Article commenting
imageTodd Monken reportedly interviewed for Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator job this week

Todd Monken was a busy man this week. In addition to recruiting the likes of 5-star quarterback Dylan Raolia and 4-star quarterback commit Ryan Puglisi, he reportedly interviewed for the Baltimore Ravens offensive coordinator job.

Read the full story here

Comments

• reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Say one thing for the fans and the recruits do the opposite "behind the scenes." Got it!

The Lane Kiffen of OC's. Wander Lust.

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He'd hardly be the first to do so. But has he, though? Did he ever say he wouldn't so much as take an interview if asked?

• DreamAndWonderDreamAndWonder Posts: 37 ✭✭ Sophomore

Hello Mike Bobo....just sayin.

• dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 181 ✭✭✭ Junior

Sounds like he’s on the way out

• UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually, recruits seem to be getting used to mobile coaches. They do understand that "you cannot always dance with the one who brung ya. Kirby is well aware of each interview Monken is taking. Monken seems to have an affinity for the NFL. We thank him for what he has accomplished at UGA. Maybe he won't leave after discussions....only he knows. He does seem to be the type that moves on. Not sure what his goals are? $2 million bucks, plus big increases, is the best in the NCAA right now at OC. Maybe he gets bored, honestly. Who knows. I guess Bobo may be tapped if and when Monken leaves.

I read somewhere just this past week(can't find it now) where he just said he was happy in Athens and planned on retiring there if UGA was still winning. It was all about winning. No one forced him to say that, he chose to, seemingly while he's interviewing for NFL OC positions.

If you want to play the field, then just say so, nothing wrong with saying something like "if the right opportunity presented itself I would have to consider what's best for me and my family." No one can fault a guy for saying that. We all get that. That's not what he said.

• budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I may be wrong (have been several times), but if Monken is honest about money and winning. Why would he leave? He makes more then the highest paid OC in the NFL. I believe it's by double. And look at the teams, Baltimore and TB. Not sure if Monken can call a triple option game plan for Baltimore with Jackson. He is not a great thrower by no means. And if Brady does come back, what down field play calls will he have available? With his old worn out arm. If Brady leaves, does anyone even know who the qb is? 🤔 And neither team is exactly winning at UGA's level now are they? 😂 Not sure what he is doing, but either way, glad he did what he did for UGA.

GO DAWGS!!!!!

• GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 442 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Along with being the highest paid OC in CFB, I would say his job is probably more secure than any other for as long as Smart is the Head Coach. While we know that job security is not absolute, that should be a major factor in his decision. His career is on a great trajectory since he arrived in Athens, and there’s not a more popular or well appreciated Assistant Coach in CFB. When it comes to money, it is safe to assume he will be very well compensated for as long as he wishes to stay. When it comes to winning, there’s not another program more poised for championship success than UGA (especially Baltimore or TB).

All that being said, I’m awful at predicting these types of things. None of the factors that I’ve mentioned will matter more than the conversation he has with Mrs. Monken.

GO DAWGS!

• E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

Eh. I'd have to see the actual quote and the context in which it was made. It may have been something more along the lines of "I could see myself retiring here" than any outright assurance that that's his life plan, no matter who comes knocking.

Maybe he leaves, maybe he doesn't. But an interview in and of itself is nothing.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

OK Y’all don’t stone me to death now Lol !! But IF he does leave Y’all better be prepped for the Possibility of Bobo. Because as I understand it he and Kirby are pretty good friends. Bobo is an UGA alumni. Good, Bad, or In Between he Does have allot of experience at the college level. His son is on the team. And last but Certainly not least, he’s been around Monken for a while now. I’m Not saying he’d be the right decision. But I’m not saying he’d be the wrong decision either. Time would tell the story. I’m just saying, especially to those who ain’t particularly fond of Bobo, that if there is a need for a new OC, Bobo might be a real Possibility in Kirby’s thinking. And I could be Totally wrong on that to !! Sure wouldn’t be the first time. But I’d also say this IF that were to happen, Try not to be nauseated about it, because people Can and Do change many times. This Mike Bobo might bear little resemblance to the Mike Bobo here in the past. And there were times Even That Mike Bobo could call some excellent plays. My biggest anxiety with the Mike Bobo of the past was his tendency to stay with a particular play when it’s obviously not working. I remember one game I can’t remember who the opponent was but it was like he was bound and determined to try to run the ball on a hand off to the RB up the middle over and over again. If it wasn’t for us losing it almost became perversely humorous !! My wife and I were joking saying bet you can’t guess what the next play is, then they’d snap the ball, hand off Up The Middle. Stopped. And we’d with perverse humor say Wow how’d we not see that coming ? THAT version of Mike B. will drive you insane !! NOW to be fair to him, there were Other times that he would mix and match plays, and orchestrate plays over several series like a Master Conductor of a world class orchestra !! It was like he had two versions of himself in one body !! BUT all that said, I don’t put much stock in the ole adage you can’t teach a old Dawg new tricks. Friend or no friend he’s not gonna keep his job Anywhere if he Can’t or Refuses to be flexible and adapt. IF and I say IF he did become the OC I’m confident there would be an extremely serious and probably very lengthy conversation between him and Kirby in private. The summary of which would be Kirby telling him the message Look Mike I’m Counting on you. You know I think the world of you, but this is business, if you can’t cut it you better tell me Now, because if you fail me and the team down friendship or not I’m gonna have to cut you loose. And Bobo having been around like he has I would think would understand and appreciate that. BUT all I’m doing is feeding a fire that might not be needed as Hopefully Monken ain’t going any where. We’ll soon see !!

We've never had a OC that has come up with plays to where we've had so manywide open receivers. I used to wonder why we couldn't get a receiver running wide open like so many teams did on the highlight shows on Saturday. Now it's our guys on those highlights. I seem to remember a head coach just shortly before Monken came refering to our offense as"simple." Our receivers ran simple routes they said. LOL Who was it, Ogeron, Kelly" Not so "simple" anymore.

• navydawgnavydawg Posts: 2,973 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It would be sort of I don’t really know what word to use, so I’ll say strange. To see Kirby, Muschamp, and Bobo on the sideline together, though more than apt Bobo would be up in the booth. Three ole Dawgs together. Wouldn’t it be utterly wild if Three ole Dawgs together won the Third National Championship in a row ?? Just a wild mental image I’m saying…….. Headlines Read: Three Amigos Win Third National Title !! OK just having a mental exercise. Whew with me only having two brain cells that was tiring !! I have one positive and one negative if they ever touch and spark each other out like jumper cables on a car it’s all over !! 😂

• FishingDawgFishingDawg Posts: 34 ✭✭ Sophomore

I certainly hope he stays. If he is making some reasonable requests in Kirby's office, I hope he will get at least some of them. I just wish he would make a decision for this year within the next couple of days so that Kirby can keep the machine running. Money doesn't seem to be the issue here. I'm not saying that there is a rift between hc and oc or anything like that, but Kirby demands a lot from his staff and himself and older coaches might not have that fire any longer. Recruiting some of these kids with an attitude would be sheer misery for me. Got to "show the love" sending a **** number of messages and making more calls than a teenage boy makes to his girlfriend. Visiting kids that probably wouldn't come to your if you paid them (oh wait, we are offering to pay them). Monken is a great coach and I really hope he stays, but either way it is decision time.

• PopeyethesailorPopeyethesailor Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Only thing I can think of that he might not like is recruiting. Can't imagine why he would leave. Bobo might be a capable replacement. Hopefully, he has learned a good bit under Monken. Bobo did not do well as a HC. Nor Muschamp. Sam Pittman and Mel Tucker definitely have. Not everyone is HC material. Biggest worry is he does one year in Baltimore, realizes he made a mistake, and then slides into an OC position with Florida, Auburn, Bama.

He could fancy himself as a HC in the NFL. The road to that would be come in and turn stuff around and in year 2 or 3 you start getting offers like a Kyle Shannahan. He could be a HC in the NFL with a little luck if he landed the right opportunity in 3-4 years, if things went well. THen he's making the BIG money and he's a Big Deal. It's all about wht's his ultimate thing in life and what floats his boat. Doesn't sound like a college OC is truly his thing.

• Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 405 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Thoughts on this angle. But scarcity creates higher prices in the market. So….. If you’re probably the top performing and highest paid OC in CFB the only real way to demand considerably more money is to create scarcity. Perhaps this is all a thing economical and do his agent can bargain for a larger raise. 2 nattys and one of the top performing & IMPROVED offenses in the nation certainly deserves some adjustment to compensation. Maybe it’s rose colored glasses but I hope he’s just giving himself negotiating power.