Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: Georgia quarterback Stetson Bennett released from Dallas detention facility

Comments

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2023

NFL GM's definitely care about the image of the shield and their teams. This is now the 2nd time SBIV has had an alcohol related embarrassment (that we know of). Did he not show up for the 2nd NC celebration because he was in the same condition as his Today show appearance? Starting to look like he might have a problem. Teams will be concerned about that and whether it is a problem. He will be grilled on it by all teams that interview him at the combine.

I agree with your 1st paragraph 100%. That's what a smart player does. But I think he still gets drafted. Probably the 7th rd now.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been a target...and a perpetrator of this kind of setup.

It's not hard to do, really. For the sake of discussion...

Let's say, a member of the Senior Bowl selection process, did not appreciate Bennett's snub and took it personal. He/she wanted a little payback...or it was just a little friendly hazing...whatever.

How do you get Bennett to bite? Simple...have a good looking girl tell him she lives out there. Ask him to go home with her...once in the neighborhood, she ditches him...and, goes to a house of a friend in the area. She or an accomplice calls the cops and tells them, there's some guy out here banging on doors.

It's kinda funny, actually. I think he's been "HAD"...and, embarrassed. One of life's little lessons. At least nobody got hurt...and, somebody's having a good laugh, right now.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could very well be. He does have people out there that don’t like him. And yeah if they could set him up to make him look bad and get a few hardy ha’s ha’s and chuckles out of it they probably would. Maybe he has come to fully understand that now, and will be more proactive in protecting himself. I’m really pulling for Stetson. He’s got the world in front of him, just put on the work clothes and make it happen !! Oh by the way I was falsely accused of something when I was about 16. Almost instantly cleared because it was all a big lie from jump street. And was easily cleared up. In my case it was No Joke the guy that perpetrated wanted to hurt me Bad !! But he failed, and all came crashing down on him !! So yeah I know how you feel. Even though it was a very short period of time, it scared me cause if Some people had of took his Lie and ran with it no telling what might have happened !!

• Options
    BeachwagonBeachwagon Posts: 146 ✭✭✭ Junior

Fort Worth-- Isn't that where TCU is located? Hmmm...

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

If I had to guess I’d say it was banging. not knocking on a door or doors.

• Options

Yeah...it's all fun & games...till it ain't. Like I said...I was lucky. Somebody's gonna have to eat crow, before this is over. Either, Bennett, the media, the police or "the door-knocker". Or..."all of the above". My favorite answer. Lol

• Options

That's subjective. My Mom is hard of hearing, so, banging, barely registers as a knock. If one of my family or friends come to the door...it's more of a tap, tap, tap. If somebody wanting to cut my grass or sell me insurance, knocks....well, hell...everybody knows that's banging.

What you call banging, I may call knocking or rapping or tapping or pounding. That's another thing, that's suspicious, about this whole thing. Was that, the word "banging", the terminology of the complainant...or the Police...or "the media". Curious.

• Options
    edited January 2023

Did I miss something? What does TCU have to do with it?

Nevermind...Lol...I get it.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Well at least he's hydrating after lastnight.

• Options
    Dogman912Dogman912 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

There is no way you would have caught me drinking in Dallas after what he just did to TCU, that was a freebie bro do better than that. Go get that flip phone again and get ready for the next step in your life. Fall off the map because your famous now! Back to Back

• Options
    NCMtnDawgNCMtnDawg Posts: 38 ✭✭✭ Junior

Good to see he still has both arms. She wasn't so **** he chewed one off to slip away

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Kid obviously needs some help hope he gets it for he pisses stuff away.

• Options

Please don't go from a hero to a zero. Everyone's pulling for you, but please just get your shift together dude!

• Options
    Ddavis0777Ddavis0777 Posts: 408 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

It’s amazing how silly and toxic UGA fans can be. The block where he was arrested houses two strips of condo buildings that looked identical. It was also heavily gated which means he’d have to have had access to get back there. Meaning….. it’s probably where he is staying while he trains and he probably tried to fit his key in, that didn’t work, maybe went around to the back door. Perhaps he has a roommate and knocked to try to get them to the door. It’s not always as bad as some ungrateful kid trying to ruin their life… sometimes it’s just a few too many drinks and a simple mistake. A bond outa jail. A fine for the misdemeanor. And a sincere gesture of apology to the neighbor you startled. But not with this fanbase, and not with this beat.

On another hand, if I was SBIV and had to ready how mike Griffith covers me I may be driven to drink myself into oblivion to avoid clapping back. God I wish he would though.

• Options

@Ddavis0777

I hope for SB sake it's as simple as you make it seem. But it's been a bad last couple of weeks for SB in the press. No UGA fan or sports reporter made him not engage with the local media ready to sing your praises on a day that was supposed to be a huge statewide celebration during the parade. All you have to do is look at and wave to the crowd, talk to the local news team covering the parade on TV, say a couple rah-rah things about how great the fans are, etc..etc.. but no, he couldn't do that. His remarks on stage that day were bizarre and definitely caught people by surprise. I questioned that day if he had maybe been drinking before the parade, doesn't seem to far fetched now does it?

He responded poorly to that criticism instead of just apologizing. He turned down the opportunity to go to the Senior Bowl, which at the time I supported, but that was highly criticized too. I sincerely care about SB the individual, not just the 2 time NC winner. I expect he may lose some serious dough with NIL and it certainly gives a NFL GM pause about drafting a PR nightmare or maybe, not saying for sure, I don't know, but someone who may have the beginnings of a drinking issue. I think he "partied" so hard the wee hours after the NC game that he couldn't make the National interview the next morning. Everyone just sort of laughed that off but now coupled with these other events, man, just seems to be a situatoion where, where there's smoke there's fire.

Guy needs someone to help him, not talking about being a better QB, but be a better man. if nothing else give him some good counsel and be a positive influence. Hope he turns it around. One more deal, or something similar, are you going to keep making excuses?

• Options
    pappadawg23pappadawg23 Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

Stet please don't end up like Johnny Football.

• Options
    edited January 2023

@reddawg1

“I hope for SB sake it's as simple as you make it seem. But it's been a bad last couple of weeks for SB in the press. No UGA fan or sports reporter made him not engage with the local media ready to sing your praises on a day that was supposed to be a huge statewide celebration during the parade. All you have to do is look at and wave to the crowd, talk to the local news team covering the parade on TV, say a couple rah-rah things about how great the fans are, etc..etc.. but no, he couldn't do that. His remarks on stage that day were bizarre and definitely caught people by surprise. I questioned that day if he had maybe been drinking before the parade, doesn't seem to far fetched now does it? 

1. his comments on the stage were not bizarre. It was a big “take that” to a local and national media and he clearly indicated his teammates put him up to it. His comments were expected. If that’s not old school or “down the middle enough” for you…. Too bad. But no excuses need to be made. The media was wrong, they drug the kid through the mud for years. They should not be free from scrutiny and who better to question their accuracy than the one who proved them wrong?
    2. Stop being disingenuous…. There were a half dozen FB/Instagram posts I saw where he was engaging fans and enjoying himself. It’s just the local news channel spent most of their time covering him when he was tangled in aux cords and toggling phones. Not a far fetched thing for young kids to do. He explained that again … you just don’t like his approach. Fact is yes the part the local news showed look bad and news sources and toxic fans took that and ran with it without researching or sharing the whole story.

He responded poorly to that criticism instead of just apologizing. He turned down the opportunity to go to the Senior Bowl, which at the time I supported, but that was highly criticized too. I sincerely care about SB the individual, not just the 2 time NC winner. I expect he may lose some serious dough with NIL and it certainly gives a NFL GM pause about drafting a PR nightmare or maybe, not saying for sure, I don't know, but someone who may have the beginnings of a drinking issue. I think he "partied" so hard the wee hours after the NC game that he couldn't make the National interview the next morning. Everyone just sort of laughed that off but now coupled with these other events, man, just seems to be a situation where, where there's smoke there's fire.

1. he told ppl off the records he was done with the media for his time at UGA following the natty win. He ghosted it on purpose. **** press conference any way.
    2. who cares if Mike Griffith criticizes his decision on the senior bowl. Mike can’t hardly tell his rear end from a whole in the ground as it comes to football. He’s a great personality for TV but I think his print journalism is dumpster garbage.

Guy needs someone to help him, not talking about being a better QB, but be a better man. if nothing else give him some good counsel and be a positive influence. Hope he turns it around. One more deal, or something similar, are you going to keep making excuses?

1. I’ll make excuses for him as long as I think it’s fair. And until then my excuse for all the uptight UGA fans is to…. Go have a drink already.

And good grief, needs help as a man for dismissing and refusing to engage with an unfair biased media, and for one alcohol related MISDEMEANOR. I mean I’m just glad all y’all UGA fans were nuns or priests back in your younger days. Complete 🤡 world we live in. The older generation just needs to kinda take it easy, let it play out and don’t jump to conclusions. If he is in fact an issue that will parse out quickly but there was virtually nothing except for one GMA interview (which the media personnel who booked that for him should be fired for even doing so) to call his sobriety into question.

The fans overall, nor the media ever gave him a fair shake. And if it does come out he’s got an alcohol problem I’d argue the pressure brought on by unfair scrutiny from within his very own HIGHLY toxic fanbase was the primary contributing factor. But I’m not ready to admit one arrest for public intoxication solicits this visceral of a response from fans. Shouldn’t they still be focused on the fact the alleged wife-beater-RaRa is still on the tea? No, they’d rather bash the kid who had a few too many beers. Get outta here with that. GO DAWGS AND HAIL STETSON.

• Options

@reddawg1

i guess to give it to you briefly since my post below is lengthy. I’m passionate about Stetson because I relate to him in many many ways. I think at times the folks around a successful young man can create a monster out of a perfectly decent human and then blame the monster when they get attacked.

and I feel like that’s exactly what’s occurred with Bennett. I can’t say I’d have handled everything the same as him because I’m not pushing my 40’s and look back on things different. But I also can’t say I blame him, nor do I feel like anything he’s done (without subsequent/repeated occurrences) solicitous the kinda reaction it’s getting.

I just think ppl, especially journalists and fanatics tend to take stuff and run with it… in whatever direction it best suits them.