Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Ryan Day still upset about Marvin Harrison Jr hit, targeting non-call in loss to Georgia

Comments

• Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    BrettGarrBrettGarr Posts: 152 ✭✭✭ Junior

So, Ryan Day asks several people (officials) for clarification on the call -- which he gets... But, because he doesn't like their answers, he's going to keep b*tching about it. So, my question is, if you're not going to accept the answer why ask the question! Rhetorical question, I know -- it's because he was hoping for a different answer. 🙄

• Options
    rconlanrconlan Posts: 19 ✭✭ Sophomore

I'm getting very tired of this wuss. It was a perfectly CLEAN play with a LEGALLY hard hit MEANT to dislodge the ball from the receiver. That Mr. Day is called playing FOOTBALL! Stop being a ****.

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

🙄 only losers make excuses..

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So several on-field judges/referees and a bevy of replay officials during the game, as well as various governing bodies after the game, are all wrong, and Day is right? Yeah, okay. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Of course Ryan Day is going to excuse make. He is suddenly on the hot seat w/a $10M/yr gig on the line.

I thought there'd be trouble when I saw that a PAC12 crew was officiating. How can officials accustomed to refereeing powder puff football possibly be able to ref an SEC team? And I was right. They weren't used to seeing hard, clean hits like Bullard's. Upon review they got the call right. Shoulder to shoulder, head turned, no launch.

I disagree w/ @Olddawg76 below. There were 3 single game deciding plays. Targeting would've given OSU a 1st and goal from the 3. TD probable +4 pts OSU. (5 prior TD drives). BB's 4th down catch re=spot. Thought BB's got a terrible spot initially. Proven by replay. - 7 pts UGA. And 3, CKS fake punt time out. I have zero faith that the ref crew would've called 12 men. 12 men in the huddle/formation is a pre-snap penalty. Ref's missed that. No guarantee they would've caught 12 men on the field. 1st down OSU minus multiple mins off clock.

If any one of those 3 plays go against UGA it is a UGA loss.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Isn't he really Butch Jones with a beard?

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Refs got it right. I was surprised they did because it was such a high and hard hit that they would have stayed with the targeting call. it was an awesome hit, a crushing hit, but the refs did a great job reviewing the impact and calling it correctly. I was very impressed.

So with all of that being said, WOW WHAT A PLAY BY BULLARD! One of the all-time best defensive plays in football history! AT ALL LEVELS!

• Options
    UGADawgUGADawg Posts: 72 ✭✭✭ Junior

Alabama 2.0 - Next

• Options
    DawgOnDawgOn Posts: 265 ✭✭✭ Junior

Day is writing a new song. Its opening line is as follows: A river won't do, for only an ocean can hold my tears.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sorry NavyDawg, but you are a little off. I counted more than 7 offensive holding violations, it was closer to 287…..and I quit counting at halftime 😉. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    budknox310budknox310 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe you were given that explanation, because they were the right calls. What a 🤡 . I'm sorry, how many plays did you lose Harrison for on defense? Exactly. NONE. 😂🤣😂🤣

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

The BIG10's own Dabo Swinney

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Given how important Harrison was to Ohio State’s offense this past season, one can understand why Day still feels the way he does. He told reporters after the game that loss of Harrison definitely had an impact on the way the fourth quarter transpired."

Well, sure, I suppose it's understandable that he would still be indulging in wishful thinking. But this reads more as an endorsement of his complaint with the officiating. Harrison's importance to their offense doesn't have anything to do with whether Day has a legitimate or understandable grievance.

Besides, as predictably often as Harrison's injury comes up when people talk about this game, there is, of course, no evidence that his presence would have made any difference in the ultimate outcome. He started strong, but had all of one catch after the first quarter, which came almost two full quarters prior to his injury. (And it didn't exactly require any special talent; nothing that any P5 receiver shouldn't be expected to do.)

All that can be said, short of running wild with assumption, is that his presence in the fourth quarter may or may not have made a difference. Either way, it's got nothing to do with the legitimacy of either the call or Day's comments about it.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He’s sounding just like saban when he loses. Excuses, excuses, excuses!!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Man, couldn't agree more with all the DN posters on this one! That said, why are we (or anyone else) giving this topic oxygen? Especially three weeks later.

Now, if we added in Nick Saban's (ridiculous) "sour grapes at a distance" comments AGREEING with Day that it was targeting, that might be something else. Two post-championship-loss whiners in one article? Priceless! :)

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We can’t help that his kicker’s plant foot was too close to the ball, causing him to shank it. If they had won, he wouldn’t have brought it up.