Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

WATCH: SEC Network star Paul Finebaum questions Stetson Bennett decisions, NFL future

2»

Comments

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Actually Clay, I don’t know and I’ll leave that **** stuff for you to do. FYI, go to the ESPN statistical leaders for the 2022 season and you’ll see most of those “elite” QBs you are referring to who are playing today are ranked below Bennett. Clearly you are one of those folks who will hate Bennett no matter what he does. I’ve never needed to make excuses for his bad games just like Bama fans don’t make excuses for their Heisman QB throwing 2 interceptions including a pick6 against our Dawgs in the NC game last year. Haters are just going to hate.

• Options
    rxmasterrxmaster Posts: 124 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

https://www.seniorbowl.com/how-the-senior-bowl-selects-players/#:~:text=The%20first%20round%20of%2020,follow%20a%20few%20weeks%20later.

Here is the criteria for player selection to the Senior Bowl. Considering Stetson met none of the criteria prior to other, more likely to be drafted players being injured or or pulling out that were invited at his position, why would they have sent him an invite? He was predicted as a 5th round pick at best until recently , and only Kiper has his earlier. He didn't fit their criteria, homer glasses or not.

The Senior Bowl is not about college awards or stats. It is about likely draftees. Stetson Bennett has as much chance of being an UDFA as he does of getting drafted. When you are assembling 58 man rosters, you don't waste invites on pet projects or good stories.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

@MikeGriffith

Lol...Speculation...Speculation...Speculation. Assumption...innuendo...rumors...Gossip. Seriously? Are things so slow in Alabama, that you had to write a story to prop Nagy up. And Pete Thamel? C'mon Mike. Those guys have been wrong more than they've been right...about Bennett and everything else.

I realize they are your sources and resident "experts"...and you guys just can't understand why Bennett isn't doing what YOU ALL think he should do.

Regardless...it's his call and I think you should respect it. You can play "Monday Morning Quarterback"...AFTER the draft. Why poke holes in Bennett BEFORE the draft?

Oh yeah...I know why. Because you have an axe to grind with Bennett. Maybe he didn't show you the respect you thought you deserved, on the practice field or in the locker room, last year...or the year before. Or it may go back to 2017-18, for all I know.

What I am sure of...is that Dawg Nation and ESPN would not be covering Bennett this way...if was a person "of color". Only "white guys" get this kind of negative press, based on a misdemeanor. What was the reason before that? Lol

"Bennett, 25, was reportedly looking for a friend when officers responded to a noise-related complaint at approximately 6 a.m. local time in Dallas last Sunday."____DN

You could've led the story with the above paragraph, instead of dropping it in casually as the last paragraph. That's the most "new information" I've heard all week.

The same thing happened to me...twice. Once, when I was in College I got lost on Sea Island/St Simon's, looking for a friend and wound up talking to the Police. Lol.

Then, again, in Va. Beach when I was in the Navy. 'Course I wasn't the only Sailor to have problems with the Police, in Va. Beach. One of our guys got arrested for "advertising without a license"...for wearing a Budweiser T-Shirt. Lol...they suspected him of doing something he didn't do and the charges were eventually dropped.

• Options
    edited February 2023

I'm going to stick with my initial assessment. Bennett has already played in 2 or 3 more games in 2022, than any of the other QBs at the Senior Bowl...with exception of Duggan.

With the connections he's already made, while at UGA, there isn't much, those NFL teams don't know about him and vice versa. Unlike a 21 yr old Jr. moving on to the NFL after 1 or 2 seasons...Bennett has been at the College level for six years and knows a lot of people coaching and playing, in the NFL. And, they know him.

In his current frame of mind, going to Birmingham would've been a mistake. It could've only hurt him. But, who cares right.? By-God, Dawg Nation and Dawg Fans, think he should've gone. Our way or the highway, Stet. Lol...give me a break.

He has nothing to show them that they haven't seen. After going through hell over the last few seasons and losing a close friend, to an accident 3 weeks ago...he may not be in the right frame of mind, to be in Mobile, answering a ton of questions everyday.

I don't understand the obsession with Bennett's "UGA-Afterlife". I never heard him ask anybody for pity or understanding. He's just a Football Player, that plays the game as well as I've seen ANYBODY play it. He needs time to decompress.

Unfortunately for him...he tried to decompress in Texas, of all places. Lol...should've gone to Gatlinburg, TN.

We're free to second guess his decisions...however, that doesn't give license to make things up, to create a story. Gossip. I think Nagy and Griffith are aggravated with Bennett for not being there to give them something to show, write and talk about.

Mike (etal.) probably pushed Nagy to invite Bennett and when Bennett turned Nagy down...well, can you say "egg on face". "Hell hath no fury, like" an embarrassed "expert" and "journalist".

See??? I can speculate, too. And, I'll bet my speculations are a lot closer to the "Truth", than theirs. Lol

• Options
    riddlevilleriddleville Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

Keep praying yall 4 GA, Stetson, Warren, Kirby, team, coaches and families of DW & CL. KEEP PRAYING PLS. Healing takes time. Forget PF & all the bama-worshippers and other teams who dont like GA and r a bit jealous. GA will overcome all this petty punditry. GA will heal and overcome, just keep praying.

DAWGMOM

• Options
    riddlevilleriddleville Posts: 13 ✭ Freshman

Exact reason i quit watchin PF everyday.

• Options

FYI...Bennett isn't the only UGA player, not to play in the Senior Bowl today. McClendon didn't play, either. Guess that "burning fire to compete" (MG) wasn't burning any brighter in him than it was in Bennett, afterall.

Huh Mike? Lol

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great comments BigDawg. I’ve felt all along that Bennett may be physically and mentally drained which should be expected after the grinder he’s been through. Contrary to the opinions of the “experts”, I sincerely believe Stetson had more to lose than gain by playing a few minutes in the Senior Bowl. You touched on something I failed to consider by mentioning the death of his 2 close buddies. When he was interviewed about 10 days ago I could tell he was devastated and ready to cry over the loss of his friends. NONE of us are in his shoes. NONE of us are as exhausted as he is and on top of that, NONE of us has dealt with so much stuff over the past few weeks. The people who are casting stones non-stop (including MG) don’t have a clue as to what Bennett is experiencing mentally…..not a slight clue. Folks are also assuming he got wasted in a “celebratory” mode where it’s very possible he was crying in his beer. I know the feeling and personally got wasted at bars during the Vietnam War after losing some close friends. I cried and I drank and I cried some more…..and just like the Mailman I couldn’t find my way back without the assistance of a few MPs. I hope Stetson can find peace in his life and I wish him the best because he gave us more than we all deserve. Go Dawgs

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

@BigDawg61 Warren McClendon practiced each day, two months removed from a sprained knee suffered against LSU that snapped his 37-game starting streak, and he was 3 weeks removed from a head injury sustained in the tragic crash that killed his teammate and a recruiting staffer.

Every player has to make their own decision on what to do, or not do. I've never suggested otherwise.

NFL experts like Jim Nagy and analysts at ESPN, NFL Network specialize in draft coverage and have their opinions on Georgia players every year that we report on, for better or worse.

The NFL combine will offer the next opportunity to evaluate Georgia personnel and should be interesting.

• Options
    1946Dawgshappened1946Dawgshappened Posts: 66 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Every player has to make their own decision on what to do, or not do. I've never suggested otherwise"

Well I'm glad you haven't decided to take Stetsons freedom away Mike. What else have you done Mike? I'll tell ya, you've blasted one player for the past two years every chance you get. I've read it over and over. You'll never convince me otherwise

Like Eastmandawg said: "MG is the Jerry Springer of the DawgNation"

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the feedback

• Options
    LakeSinclairLakeSinclair Posts: 23 ✭✭ Sophomore

Stetson’s had a bad few weeks after Jan. 9 - he hasn’t projected a mature image at all. A day or two after he was released from lockup, he should have released a statement saying that he regrets having brought negative PR upon the UGA program as well as himself, stating that this isn’t his normal behavior, and that he’s going to learn from this mistake and be the responsible adult that everyone expects him to be and that he expects himself to be. If he’d done that most people would say “fair enough - we all make mistakes.” Instead, people are still asking “what’s with Stetson - has he always just been a jerk?” The longer he stays silent, the deeper he’s digging his hole.

• Options
    edited February 2023

You don't believe in our justice system do you?

You're one of a large group of Americans, that believe guilt or innocence should be decided by by the masses, from what is spoken on television and radio...and written in newspapers and on message boards...right? Whether the evidence presented by those entities is real...or not?

How do you know if the evidence is real? Well...it's vetted by the Prosecution & Defense and presented to a Judge in order to determine it's relevance to the charge, etc..

What actual evidence has been presented, with regard to Bennett? Zero...zilch...nada. Only accusation and speculation...so far.

We don't even know for sure, that Bennett was "intoxicated". Lol.

The perception of Bennett was created by "the press" and a small faction in the Dawg Fanbase.

If you accentuate the negative and eliminate the positive...anybody can be made to look bad. ANYBODY...including you.

Why the hell would Bennett appeal to those same people, to clean up that perception? My guess is...he trusts the American Justice System, far more than he trusts people like you.

There, but for, the grace of God, go you.