Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL mock draft projects Todd Monken reunites with Georgia offensive star via 2023 draft

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageNFL mock draft projects Todd Monken reunites with Georgia offensive star via 2023 draft

ATHENS — The Baltimore Ravens obviously believe Todd Monken holds the blueprint for future success.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BarkingDawgBarkingDawg Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He will be the best all round back out of this class.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

"McIntosh, deemed by many to be a bigger version of Cook, wouldn’t seem likely to last until the third round provided he follows up his strong week at the Senior Bowl with good metrics and drill work at the NFL combine in two weeks."

Exactly what I was going to say. Perfect 3rd down back for the NFL.

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

He hired Monken, instead of the other final contenders, to help his brother beat or not even have to play against UGA...lol

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If Harbaugh will follow Monkens direction the Ravens will be contenders quickly and Lamar Jackson will be the next "HOT" QB in the NFL.

The BIG question is....will Harbaugh listen or be a stubborn jerk like his brother???

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GtheGreek

In his 5 years in the NFL, Lamar Jackson has been to 3 Pro Bowls and won league MVP (only missing year 1 due to being mostly a reserve and year 5 due to injury). Now that Tom Brady has retired, only Pat Mahomes and Aaron Rodgers have more current acclaim (though both have won Super Bowls, Matt Stafford has never been particularly liked in the NFL and Russell Wilson has never gotten back to the literal game-changer that he was the first 5 years of his career). The Ravens offered to make Jackson one of the highest paid players in NFL history and Jackson turned it down because he wants the fully guaranteed contract that Deshaun Watson got. So your claim "If Harbaugh will follow Monkens direction the Ravens will be contenders quickly and Lamar Jackson will be the next 'HOT' QB in the NFL" proves it ... you guys only follow UGA football, not the NFL or even the wider college game.

If you did, you would know that successful college coordinators fail in the NFL all the time. Usually college coordinators start out as position coaches in the NFL. Brian Johnson, coordinator at 3 P5 schools (Utah, Mississippi State, Florida)? He is the Eagles QB coach and "may" get to become an NFL OC this year or next. So yeah, the idea that a proven and successful NFL head coach "needs to listen to a college guy" is absurd. Especially considering that Monken has had 2 OC positions in the NFL before - Tampa and Cleveland - and failed in them both, which is why he became the UGA OC in the first place.

So instead of "follow my lead Harbaugh and Jackson and I will make you guys champions" ... Monken is going to have the mentality "in Baltimore I am not going to have anywhere near the talent advantage over my division mates Pittsburgh, Cincinnati and the Cleveland team that fired me 3 years ago and knows my playbook that UGA enjoyed over Florida, Tennessee and Auburn while I was there as Cleveland so I had better make sure that I don't get fired for the third time because if I blow this shot at being an NFL OC, I likely am not going to get another one, or for that matter to ever become an NFL or major college head coach."

That is actual reality, not seeing the world through UGA-colored glasses. Particularly since Baltimore was the only team that was actually serious about hiring Monken this go-around, and even that was only because Baltimore is trying to run a similar 2 TE offense with Lamar (a mobile QB with issues getting the ball downfield) that Monken ran with SB IV (a mobile QB with issues getting the ball downfield).