Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Former Mike Bobo QB shares how Georgia offense might look, what players might hear

SystemSystem Posts: 10,478 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageFormer Mike Bobo QB shares how Georgia offense might look, what players might hear

ATHENS —Hutson Mason has a pretty good idea what the Georgia quarterbacks room will sound like with Mike Bobo in charge, even if he’s not exactly sure what the offense will look like.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I love listening to the idiots call in to Paul Finebaum and cast all sorts of doubts on Mike Bobo's abilities as OC, the sky is falling and the end is near.....this time next year we'll all be ringing our hands wondering is MB is going to take another HC position or head to the NFL....I don't think so. The nay sayers don't know Mike Bobo....this was a very informative article! I'm counting down the days to the start of Goin43N23!

• Options
    ColumbusDawgColumbusDawg Posts: 526 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

These are the best of times. Winning it all contending yearly and winning 2. Then, Smart, Bobo, Muschamp, McClendon...leading the team. Plus there are a few others with close connections but these are the top 3 Dawgs. At least a couple of others been here before coaching.

Then, Dell Mcgee, Schumann, Hartley, Searles, were ALL born and raised in GA(even though Mcgee stayed closest to home and went to Awburn! So did Searles, Schumann Bama)

It doesn't get any better than this fellas...

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Well…………Gooooo Dawgs !!!!!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sic ‘em….woof, woof, woof….!!!

Go Dawgs! Four time National Champs!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    Tom_BomadilTom_Bomadil Posts: 69 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 2023

Why did Georgia eventually fire Mark Richt? That question needs to be mulled over again and again. Quite simply, he could not win the big games and take Georgia to the next level. And it was not because of a lack of talent. Georgia had some of the best talent in the SEC, but rarely won the big one. Mike Bobo was part of those Richt years. I can never forget screaming at the tv so many times when the game was on the line, and Bobo would call running plays up the middle and punt.

He did not have the creativity then, and he does not have it now. Bobo was famous for coming out and going for the big pass on the first play of the game, and then you never saw that risk taking again. Conservative play calling the rest of the game. A leopard does not change his spots, and a person doesn't stop being what he is in his essence. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Pish Posh. The main reason CMR was pushed out was because CKS was available. UGA wanted CKS as HC.

UGA also did not make the commitment to CMR that they've made to CKS. $240 MILLION has been sunk into facilities on CKS's watch. As I recall UGA was one of the last SEC programs to have an indoor practice facility. That state of the art weight room? New under Kirby. Ya think having those advantages (and way more) would've helped CMR recruit better and win more?

As I said, factless narratives running rampant on here today. It will be interesting to see what Bobo does with better players.

• Options

This is what Ga. players might hear: "It's a close game, boys. No more passing. We'll stick to three up the middle and punt. Maybe we run the clock out."

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'll tell you why....DEFENSE...DEFENSE...DEFENSE. Richt...unlike Smart...was an "Offense Minded" HC, that was unable to master the "defensive side of the ball".

Football is a sport that requires 2 (connected ???) teams within a Team. An offense and a defense. No other sport, that I can think of, functions like that.

You can have the best offense in the Country...but the worst defense to go with it. What you are left with, is a middling team that manages an 8, 9, 10 win season.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@MikeGriffith

Great follow-up to your last article. I was saying and thinking the same things Hutson was talking about. It makes me feel good about the trajectory of the Bulldog Football Program.

BTW...I'm not sure your response to my last post was directed at me. Lol. I agreed with pretty much, everything you said. I already knew how muddled the QB Room was in 2020...and, why things went down the way they did.

Lol...in fact...if you were to be able to go back in time; to the summer of 2020...virtually in the middle of a lock-down and Pandemic...and attempt a prediction based on UGA's 2019-20 offense, defense, coaching staff and presumed talent. There is "no way" to get "here" from "there".

Who would have ever seen all the narratives that would die, at the hands of the Kirby Smart Express? With Stetson Bennett and Todd Monkin leading the way, no less? It's Epic, to say the least. Lol

Can't wait for the next book. Lol I'm sure there are a few books on the last 3 years, in the works...right now.

That's what giving your coach five years to "Build a Program", looks like...when the Coach is competent and committed. Where's A&M's Jimbo Fisher, in this conversation? Lol

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@GoodGame

This @Tom_Bomadil fellow, completely unlike the actual guy from Fellowship of the Ring, says:

And it was not because of a lack of talent. Georgia had some of the best talent in the SEC

Yeah ... during the Mark Richt era UGA had 2 tailbacks drafted in the first round (Knowshon Moreno, Todd Gurley) when Auburn 2004 and Alabama in 2009 had two in the same backfield. They had no Heisman Trophy winners when Florida 2007/2008 (Tim Tebow, Cam Newton) had 2 on their depth chart. UGA had a single WR taken in the first round (AJ Green) and only two taken in the 2nd (Reggie Brown, Mohammed Massoquai) as well as one TE (Ben Watson, a transfer). Compare that to how loaded LSU, Florida and Alabama teams were at WR and TE when they won titles.

And that is at skill positions. It gets worse. Richt did not recruit a single first round offensive tackle or defensive tackle during the entire 14 years at UGA. Charles Grant (technically a DE but 290 lbs!), George Foster and John Sullivan were all Donnan recruits. It was because of not having guys like that - or the Stinchcombs etc. - anymore that UGA never won another SEC title under Richt. And Richt also sent zero defensive backs in the first round, unless you want to count Thomas Davis (I don't, as Davis was a rover at UGA who played OLB full time in the NFL). Compare that to LSU (2003), Florida (2006 and 2008), Auburn (2004) and Alabama (2009) teams who sent their entire secondaries to the NFL.

Yes, Sony Michel, Nick Chubb and Isaiah Wynn were Richt recruits that were drafted under Kirby. But it doesn't change much. Richt only (somewhat) consistently recruited elite players at two positions at UGA: tailback and edge (DE/OLB types like Leonard Floyd, Roquan Smith and the aforementioned Davis). The rest of his recruits would have been backups at the programs that actually were winning titles. UGA is winning now precisely because UGA is getting guys like Jordan Davis, Devonte Wyatt, Jalen Carter (three first round picks at DT in 2 years despite running a 3-4 defense!), Lewis Cine, Kelee Ringo and Malachi Starks now. Add that to guys like Andrew Thomas, Isaiah Wilson and Amarius Mims at OT, please realize that UGA is landing the types of players that Richt never got. When Richt was at UGA, not only did he rarely land guys like that from out of state, but he let some of the most promising in-state guys go to Auburn, Tennessee, Alabama, Florida, FSU and even at times Georgia Tech (during the Chan Gailey era when Tech was serious about recruiting).

Richt did a lot of good things for UGA. In a lot of ways, he helped pave the foundation for where UGA is right now. (Including the fact that Kirby Smart was once Richt's position coach.) But claiming that Richt recruited championship caliber athletes at UGA is just false.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Quote: A leopard does not change his spots, and a person doesn't stop being what he is in his essence I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so. End of Quote. So your saying that Stetson Bennett didn’t get better from 2021-2022 ? For that matter your saying that Kirby Smart didn’t go from a DC to a HC ? People DO get better at their vocations. Not worried to much about Leopards. And as the articles and posters have stated Repeatedly, Bobo actually had a slightly higher PPG than Monken. And when did UGA sink over $247 million into the program during the Richt/Bobo era ? Do you recall Richt having to Embarrass UGA by offering to pay his staff raises out of His Own Pocket ? You do of course remember that the AD for a large segment of the Richt/Bobo era was Mr. Damon “Red Panties” Evans don’t you ? And your saying that Richt/Bobo had Both Offenses and Defenses equal to those at UGA during the Monken era ? Your saying that after nearly TEN years there’s NO WAY that Bobo can improve ? You wouldn’t happen to be one of those from 2021 that said there’s NO WAY we will win a Ntl. Title with Stetson Bennett at QB would you ? Then in 2022 you wouldn’t happen to be one of those that said Well there’s NO WAY we’ll win Another Ntl. Title with Stetson Bennett at QB would you ? Lastly are you as critical of Yourself after 10 years in Your vocation have passed by from your First Time in that vocation ? Look there is a certain amount of Risk involved with replacing a Critical Unit Coach with Anybody. There are NO guarantees. And I don’t think Kirby could find ANY OC out there that could say OK I Guarantee You I will win UGA another Ntl. Title !! So it boils down to Do You Trust Kirby making the right hire ? In the game of football, especially in the SEC, No One can Guarantee Anything !! There’s no need to repeat all the Many reasons that Kirby made this hire, you and other naysayers won’t except them. And Again YES there’s a certain amount of Risk involved with hiring Anybody. But Kirby hired who HE thought was best for the job. And it’s a done deal. So for your own peace of mind I would advise Watch and See how things go. Don’t automatically assume from almost 10 years ago in his First gig that Bobo can’t get better. Colorado St. SC. and Auburn were ALL bad jokes when he was there, literally Nothing talent wise to work with.

• Options

I have to laugh at the indignation of people at me for calling a spade a spade when it comes to Mike Bobo. One poster, Navydawg, went ballistic yelling, "So your saying that Stetson Bennett didn’t get better from 2021-2022 ?" Uh, never said a word about Stetson Bennett. Listing people who got better at their positions, such as Bennett, is not the same thing as having a root personality type which does not change. So, yeah, the leopard analogy has merit. Mike Bobo does not have the creativity or imagination that Monken has, and never will. Those things are inherent within a person, not learned. Bobo has been a conservative, don' -take-risks coach his whole career. It hurt Georgia during the Richt years, Richt being another coach who did not like to take risks more than once or twice a game, usually at the beginning of the game. You know, get an early lead and sit on it the entire game.

Scoring points is not an indicator of creativity.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Didn’t go ballistic at all. Certainly didn’t yell. Just asked legitimate questions that apparently your not able to answer. So what OC out there could Guarantee You a 3peat Ntl. Title ?? Could Even Coach Monken Guarantee You a 3peat ?? With Kirby Smart as the HC he has made the Right Decisions thus far to get the Dawgs back to back Ntl. Titles. So HE made the decision to hire Mike Bobo. But because of YOUR ( and a few other naysayers ) opinions of Bobo from nearly Ten years ago, Dawg Nation is supposed to be utterly terrified that Bobo will ruin the program ? Yeah right. 🙄 No Thanks I’ll Trust the PROVEN Knowledge and Experience of Kirby Smart over a few whiny fans, belly aching from their recliners Lol. P.S. And I guess you about crapped yourself when you read ( or Did you even read it) that Monken Himself said Bobo drew up some of the plays, in particular the Red Zone plays where teams traditionally struggle. Monken was/is a pretty straight forward talker, he complimented Bobo. So I guess Both him and Kirby are wrong Lol !! But it’s so comforting to know that You and a handful (comparatively) of other fans have every thing under control. And the Stetson analogy was Just As accurate as your thing about a leopard and his spots Lol !! And scoring points is not an indicator of creativity You said !! Big LOL !! Yeah points just automatically score all by themselves !! Gosh Thx for straightening me out on that !! 😂

• Options

Kirby Smart is entering into his 7th year as HC if my memory serves. He’s obviously gotten better as he goes along ( People Can and Do get better in their vocations). Among the many things he’s gotten better at, I would think that gauging Hiring Decisions would also be included. Though there is NO Coach in College football or Pro football that can Guarantee their fanbase success with the people they decide to hire. I don’t know of Anyone more passionate about winning than Kirby. In addition I’m pretty confident that Kirby wants to leave a great legacy when it comes time to retire. So I’m pretty confident he weighs each and every hire very, very seriously. And during the season IF he sees something from a Coach he has hired that doesn’t set well with him, I’m Confident he will be in that Coach’s ear Really Quick, saying Get It Fixed NOW !! And IF the problem what ever it might be becomes repetitive I’m also very confident that it will Quickly go from Kirby just talking to the Coach with the problem, to Kirby chewing that Coaches backside very fiercely !! And IF by chance the problem were to continue after that, I’m very confident that Kirby would show that Coach the door, any personal relationships not withstanding. Kirby is building a winning program at UGA, and there’s NO WAY he will just kick back and let Anyone take away from that. SO in summary I Trust Kirby to make the right decision in the first place, But if problems do arise, I Trust Kirby to quickly rectify those problems. Our Dawgs are in Very Good hands with Kirby Smart at the helm !! Go Dawgs !!