Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

UGA issues release related to football player arrest after ‘incident’ on College Station Road

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageUGA issues release related to football player arrest after ‘incident’ on College Station Road

ATHENS — The University of Georgia has issued a release related to the Wednesday night arrest of star defensive player Jamon Dumas-Johnson.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

When I saw that Jamon Dumas-Johnson had been arrested, I was worried. Not the smartest thing to do as such a high-profile player, but this sounds like it's just a case of boys being boys.

Now, I just want to know, did Jamon win the race?

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 100 ✭✭✭ Junior

"Boys will be boys" is no excuse for dangerous behaviour. Do the crime, pay the fine.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Yikes! Isn't he supposed to be a team leader?

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I understand these kids are leaders on the team and at the university, but anyone who has never raced anyone in a vehicle says they are lying or are under 15.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Much ado about nothing...

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I'm not sure that running from the police in a high speed chase situation is just "boys being boys."

I've like most young men have pulled up next to a stop light back in the day and there's a guy next to you and you give each other the look and you floor it from the stop light for maybe 100 yards or so, but the type thing we have seen on the news coming out of atlanta with street racing is a whole nother ball game.

Too fast and too furious type stuff, if you've seen the movie.

I personally have never tried outrunning the cops in my car, but maybe I just led a sheltered life.

• Options
    BubbaBillBubbaBill Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

Hopefully the only charges that stick are “racing and reckless driving”. Seems like eluding police is a much more serious charge, but I’m no attorney. Go Dawgs!!!

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They must be retrieving from the subsequent article where this is referenced (and in which posts are not permitted as yet). There is also reference to a second car, but no details provided on those occupants (also arrested??). And there was reference to JDJ (and Mondon) being questioned following the tragic/fatal accident on the 15th. This latter reference could be confusing (at best) since a connection between the two events seems implied, but occurred several days apart. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Per the article: Linebacker Jamon Dumas-Johnson, a Butkus Award finalist last season who has been hailed as the defense’s team leader, was booked into Athens-Clarke Jail after a warrant had been issued for his arrest related to a Jan. 10 incident.

Officer attempted to stop two vehicles that were driving in a reckless manner while apparently racing each other on the roadway. Officer discontinued the traffic stop after both vehicles fled at high speeds with the intent to elude him.”

Am I missing something?

The arrest last night was not for anything that happened last night but dates back to the night DEvin and Chandler were Killed in the wreck. It may be unrelated, but it does seem that the police have someone who has ratted on Dumas-Johnson. It appears the police couldn't catch up to them and called off the chase.

Whether he's charged with that or not I can't say, just repeated what the article says.

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Jim….. I stand corrected. In the words of Doc Holliday from tombstone….” You are an oak.”

growing up in north Georgia it’s just kinda what we did.

• Options
    khummelkhummel Posts: 822 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So far, the reporting is very confusing. As I understand it, the arrest has nothing to do with the tragic accident that occurred on the 15th, but rather the "incident" as vaguely described on the 10th. But the connection between the two events is made by the reference that JDJ was also sought after the 15th incident for questioning... 'why', is anybody's guess. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    E_RocE_Roc Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

The two are completely unrelated. This was 5 days before the accident with Willock. This was on College Station, and the accident with Willock was on Barnett Shoals.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

I grew up with the usual suspects doing endless and unceasing stupîd stuff. I was right there in the mix. Some of our frequent misbehavior was far worse than what this player did. We did really dangerous stuff with vehicles, too, of course, at least by today's standards.

Remember as a little kid getting up on the shelf behind the back seat on car trips? Riding/standing on the running board of an old sedan going 90 MPH down a crushed oyster shell road? (That's New Orleans for gravel road.) Everyone road in the back of pickup trucks, right?

Riding bicycles down tall steep playground slides was near the top of the stúpid list. Slides of that sort seem to have been banned. What's the world coming to?

I've no idea how any of us survived.

Go, Dawgs!