Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Herschel Walker towers above others on Georgia football Mount Rushmore, campus statue overdue

SystemSystem Posts: 10,442 admin
edited February 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy Herschel Walker towers above others on Georgia football Mount Rushmore, campus statue overdue

ATHENS — There aren’t any right or wrong answers when it comes to picking the four “Mount Rushmore” figures of Georgia football — only legendary ones.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    CDDawgsCDDawgs Posts: 56 ✭✭✭ Junior

No thanks. HW burned that bridge to the ground. He is an embarrassment, and it is obvious why he never completed his degree. A menace to society.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

We all know where this comment is headed. One day we'll get past this.

Anyways, it's about accomplishments ON THE FIELD, mostly. Not having Dooley, Tarkenton, Bailey, even David Greene would be up for consideration at some schools. He's only the winningest qb in SEC history, also something that will never be topped, much like walkers stats. There's a list that could go up there, throwing bowers up there is a little early. Superb athlete, but only 2 years in, give it a little time, lol.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior

Really? A guy who lied about his grades and never even graduated. Would the statue depict him holding a gun to his wife’s head? This is new low, even for you Mike.

• Options
    JimmyBobJimmyBob Posts: 197 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Hershel is one of the greats on the field, but he destroyed his reputation off the field. He never accepted responsibility, which leaves the questions to linger - and fester. This discussion will be a lightning rod for a lot of people. I grew up thinking he was the greatest, but in life, it's not enough to be great in one area and terrible in another - example Napoleon Bonaparte - arguable one of the greatest field commanders ever. Plenty will say that the accusations were lies, but wow, were there a lot of them from a lot of different people. I would not be in favor of a big statue.

• Options
    DawgSonOfGamecockDawgSonOfGamecock Posts: 161 ✭✭✭ Junior

I didn’t want to see Herschel enter politics because rarely do such ventures end well for former athletes and coaches. Sure there are exceptions, but by and large, especially today, a lot of us prefer our sports to give us a break from that, so seeing one of our icons go that route, regardless of personal political preferences, was disappointing. At least for me.

Even so, none of that diminishes what he did on the football field and what he’s done for the brand of Georgia Football. Like his coach, his name is synonymous with Georgia, and his teams were, until recently, long viewed as the last truly great era of Georgia Football with a natty to show for it. Herschel DEFINITELY should have a statue on campus. I hated to see his image be tarnished the way it was during the election, but it does not nor should it negate what he still means to the University of Georgia.

And as far as Georgia’s Mt. Rushmore, put Sinkwich, Dooley, Herschel, and Smart on there. And heck, why are we talking Mt. Rushmore? Let’s put them on Stone Mountain. The two players won a Heisman and a natty, and both coaches won a Natty, with Smart at 2 and counting. But first let’s start with something a bit more doable, and that’s a Herschel statue on campus.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Oh and it’s an absolute pity, that people can’t think about and consider what Herschel did ON the field of play instead of taking what They’ve Been Told by MSM and using that toxic and heavily biased info. to attack Herschel. And as far as his not finalizing and getting his degree, I’m pretty confident that there are quite a few athletes in the various sports UGA offers, that didn’t finalize and get their degrees, probably quite a few went on to the pro ranks of their various sports and simply didn’t have the time to pursue their degree.

• Options

NOTE To The Site Administrators: I’d like to Very Respectfully Request that this article be closed to comments as I think it’s Grossly Unfair for people to be able to just open fire on Herschel with all manner of rude and malicious comments, especially based on What They’ve Heard from dubious sources that had/have Their Own agenda in mind. It’s just not a positive look for DawgNation to allow a wholesale effort to tarnish Herschel’s name and personage, and I’d be Very Grateful if this article was closed, I think I might be speaking for quite a few other Dawgs fans. Thank You.

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Navydawg doesn't believe in free speech. That's wrong. Period. Herschel put himself in this position and people have a right to give their opinions - this is America. This isn't a communist nation.

• Options

And you just Lied your teeth out !! I absolutely Do believe in Free Speech. I lost two of my Shipmates to Death, one of which was my Best Friend. And very nearly lost my Own life twice in defense of the Constitution Of The United States Of America. But other articles like This one that are Inflammatory and can lead to Over The Top comments like Yours have been closed before. I Requested I did not Demand.