Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why Herschel Walker towers above others on Georgia football Mount Rushmore, campus statue overdue

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jdatl3 And your right about us not being a communist nation for Now. But we’re on a very rapid trajectory to be that !! So better get your Rosetta Stone or Babble and start brushing up on your Chinese linguistics. Oh and speaking of Free Speech, other than bashing people on an internet site how much do YOU have invested in defending that right as well as the Rest Of the Constitution ?? Just curious, as you saw fit to condemn me with a Lie.

• Options

Thank You !! I probably should have directed my Request ( Not a demand) to @MikeGriffith

• Options

“Allot of people said” Lol !! Yeah there was a time Allot of people said the earth was flat. But you know……..

• Options

Amen !! And Bravo !! Quoting you in a fashion, you said that people reading sports articles would prefer a “ break from politics”. I Absolutely agree !! And Yes I will confess I’m hot angry !! No doubts. Because the article was About Herschel’s ON Field accomplishments, Not his political aspirations. But just like flies can’t resist dodo, the article opened up the door for Some to take their cheap shots based Not on what they Know factually, but based on a very biased and critical albeit large segment of media. If they Really feel this way why don’t they contact Herschel and say these things to his face ? And I wonder if they’ve even vaguely, microscopically tried to put themselves in His shoes ? Nah !! No Way !! Herschel Already confessed and tried his best to atone for his years and years ago mistakes. But Of Course that’s not good enough for Some people. They want the man down on his knees begging for Their approval. But in their view They are just wonderful and perfect in All that They do and say. It is my hope that @MikeGriffith will see fit to close this article as it will only lead to more of the same. Wouldn’t it be so nice if people would Be what they expect out of others ?

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Please note: "The greatest player who never graduated." In his case sport "trumped" (pun intended) education. Going to university (like so many now) was simply a means to another end. Sad for him. A national tragedy.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited February 2023

Whatever side people are on, people will always take offense towards the other. One side leans a lot harder towards the other side when articles come out. Not hard to see. Free speech is highly debatable these days. If it was so free, why so much harshness to what someone else says as their opinion? Whole article is about who are the people who would represent the top of the mountain in UGA athletics, not politics. But it turns into what someone said/seen on TV. Like everything on TV is true these days. It's why I don't watch news. If I wanna find out about something, I research it. And even that sometimes has false answers that tend to be biased. And I am always right, nope. Nobody is perfect. If you think you are, mistake #1.

• Options
    edited February 2023

I’ll always have a special appreciation for Herschel and his fellow National Title Winning Dawgs. In Sept. of that year while on deployment my best friend was killed in the line of duty. I stood guard ( along with others in shifts) over his body. Shortly there after in Oct. another shipmate that I knew only not quite as well was killed. I came Very close to losing my own life twice on that deployment. We didn’t have internet back then. It wasn’t unusual at all to get mail that was two weeks old or even older. I found out Two Weeks after the fact that we had won the Ntl. Title when my Mama ( now gone on to be with the Lord) sent me a newspaper clipping with a pic of Herschel in the article toting the rock !! This brought some rays of sunshine into my dark world of that time. I’m very proud of Today’s Dawgs and their predecessors. Watching Herschel run was a thing of beauty though !! Go Dawgs !! P.S. After my Mama died in 2018 at the age of 89, I discovered the letter that I sent to her and Daddy ( Daddy passed away in 1993) relating about how my best friend had gotten killed, the other shipmate hadn’t got killed yet, I didn’t tell them about my situations that had happened as I didn’t want them to worry about me, I only told them about my best friend as a form of releasing some of the stress)

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for your service and to all the contributors, who served our country, on this forum as well!

Go Dawgs!

• Options

Oh Thank You so much for your kind words and thoughts !! I echo you and also say a sincere Thank You to All our military in all branches, active duty, reserve, National Guard, and Veterans !! Also all our Law Enforcement, Fire Fighters, EMTs, Thank You !! And all our Doctors and Nurses and Healthcare Pros, Thank You !! And to all our Citizens who are Working for a living, or retired from many, many years in the work force, and those who are currently educating themselves in preparation to enter the work force, you are All contributors to our state and nation and I Thank You !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't think anyone is calling him St. Herchel. LOL! He was just one of the greatest college football players of all time. If rape accusations against Presidents don't disqualify them, and lying about where you graduated in your class, then I think we could have a statue to celebrate Herchel's college football accomplishments.

• Options
    edited February 2023

Exactly !! Agree !! A statue to celebrate his Football achievements, not his political beliefs, not his very old personal life bad decisions, where in its conveniently forgotten that At That Time he was suffering from mental health issues, And has tried as best he can to atone for his past. When I clicked on the article I had No intentions at all what so ever of going into Defense mode for Herschel. It was only After I read the politically loaded and personally malicious to Herschel comments that I got Very angry and made my comments. I readily confess I lost my temper. And probably MY comments would have been better off left unsaid. But in fairness to Herschel and Me the article was about his Football Accomplishments, Not his political aspirations Or his personal life. I don’t recall seeing a single word about his politics or his personal life issues of the waaay back past. But as with many things in our society he came under attack, for his waaay back many years ago transgressions. It should be noted that those making the malicious comments were curiously silent about how his political opponent in a Much More recent incident tried to run over his own wife and Did run over her foot as was cited by the Police Report. Or how the “Church” he is the “Pastor” of runs a slum tenament where Dead people were found Decaying on staircases, and where a USMC Veteran ( according to his testimony that is) was kicked out because he owed a small amount of rent. The facility has been cited and penalized several, several times for substandard living conditions. But as the political opponent to Herschel is a “ Reverend” and sanctioned by his “Church” I suppose little transgressions against fellow humanity is OK. Of course that same political opponent doesn’t place much value on the most vulnerable of our society, of which have little to no voice, the unborn. Of course he must have slept through the scripture that declares that God Knew us while we were Yet in our Mother’s ****. And the scripture that says it’s Better to have a millstone tied around your neck and be cast into the deepest part of the sea than to harm one of God’s little ones. Sounds like a man of impeccable character to me.🙄 So in conclusion things can get quite sticky and nasty when politics are brought up in a Sports dynamic. I wasn’t the one who initially made the decision to open that can of worms. I’m sure allot of Dawgs fans have not yet seen this article. And when they read the comments regardless of Which side or take they have it will take what I think was Meant to be a positive article and put an **** turn in it. Which is why I Requested not demanded that the article be closed, Not to suppress someone’s freedom of speech as I was Wrongly accused of. I was not the one who made the first deliberate and conscious decision to step over the line of sports into political dialogue. But when they did I have and will vigorously defend Herschel for Many reasons.

• Options
    Oldddawg76Oldddawg76 Posts: 393 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I have to say, I'm really excited to see the social and political commentary here on a Dawgnation comment thread! There just aren't enough more appropriate venues for politics on the interwebs!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

That would be a tough 4 to pick.. So many great players over the years to choose from. Definitely Herschel, the maybe Andy Johnson, Nick Chubb, Bill Stanfill, Jake Scott, David Pollack, AJ Green, Garrison Hearst.. I'd be hard pressed to choose just 4. Mine would end up being a mountain collage lol

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2023

You can't spell JOKE without j-o-e..