Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football scrimmage stock report: QB race underway, Javon Bullard making plays

SystemSystem Posts: 10,536 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football scrimmage stock report: QB race underway, Javon Bullard making plays

ATHENS — Carson Beck has waited a long time for his opportunity to take the reins of the Georgia offense.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    VetdawgVetdawg Posts: 761 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Man

Mike I am anything but the grammar police,but please man. Smoke didn’t transfer from kentucky, was tamu. And MRJ is a product of south Florida not a produced of south Florida.

we can’t take your writing seriously unless you do also.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Sounds like BVG is taking the 1st steps in realizing his potential as the QB with highest ceiling on the roster. People (and coaches?) expect these 3 QB's to command the O like SBIV did forgetting that SBIV had 6(!) yrs of CFB experience.

BVG, with some experience and refinement, could take the SBIV game to the next level.

• Options
    truthtellertruthteller Posts: 226 ✭✭✭ Junior

Really would like to see BVG get the QB1 slot. We need to go forward with the idea that as an offense, we need to continue to have a dynamic running option from the QB position. This is what makes defenses honest, and really helped Stetson as he matured into a quality passer. To take a step back and give the starting job to a player than is an average runner would not seem to be the smarter choice. I am hoping for mobility - as it really opens the playbook!

• Options
    CClayC88CClayC88 Posts: 126 ✭✭✭ Junior

Didn't Stetson throw 2 or 3 picks in last year's G-Day game? In his 3rd season as a starter? It's not a big deal what happens at the first spring scrimmage

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@UGADad20 Agree, bigger, better version who will graduate in three years!

• Options

@CClayC88 Yes, that's kinda my thought --- but Stetson had been promised the job, and Carson hasn't -- and BVG knows the offense well-enough to pose a threat. IT's very interesting but too early to draw ANY conclusions!

• Options

@truthteller Kirby does like mobility .... Beck has enough to win the job, but keeping it will be a challenge

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a defender/CB I would hate to have to tackle BVG one on one after he had a head of steam, but I would also hate to cover a receiver one on one on a deep ball delivered by Beck.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited April 2023

I don't see any current UGA QB that will leave for the NFL after starting 1 season no matter how good, statistically, that season is. They all need a lot of experience and 2 years starting to maximize their draft position.

However, getting all to stay in the program as they mature will be difficult if they aren't playing. UGA and CFB are really in a Catch 22 position. With Stockton, possibly Raiola and possibly Air Noland in the pipeline UGA needs to get guys experience, warp speed development and playing time to move guys onto the NFL and make room for the younger guys.

UGA has mastered development to reload at every position except QB. Are they asking too much from the position or recruiting the wrong guys? The days of 6 yr QB's are over.

• Options

Beck will be one and done if he gets the chance.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I can look past the minor grammar mistakes, I know what he's trying to say. My interest lie in the body of information provided which I generally like. In today's world of voice recognition I only have to look at my text messages to know how these minor mistakes happen.

• Options
    MobileDawgMobileDawg Posts: 322 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Not sure about that Mike, I think whomever gets the job probably ensures the other transfers. I could see Beck staying another year if he gets the job to improve the body of work.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think it just depends. If he has a great year then he could be a potential 1st round pick. Nothing left to improve upon and a lot to lose if inured by playing another year in that case. He has everything the NFL looks for(I believe) arm talent, height, smarts, not a statue, etc.

Play the Red and Black game tape of he and BVG back to back, or view CB's games last season where he appeared, especially later in the season and when compared to BVG you will see a much smoother, relaxed if you will CB than BVG, a guy who doesn't throw everything the same speed(as fast as he can in BVG) but knows instinctively when to put some mustard on it and when to feather it in to a receiver.

One of the great things about SB(IMO) is he threw a very catchable ball. Rarely did you ever see a ball go flying off the hands of a receiver because it was just too hot.