Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

NFL Draft 2023: Live updates, picks, analysis for Georgia football players

SystemSystem Posts: 10,694 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageNFL Draft 2023: Live updates, picks, analysis for Georgia football players

The first round of the 2023 NFL Draft will begin in Kansas City on Thursday night. Below you can find live updates for Georgia football players, as well as the picks and analysis of where they might potentially land.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson being totally dissed. But for him that’s a good thing, as he’ll use it to stoke that inner fire to win.

• Options

I believe Stroud is a better QB than Young. But just Wow !! On the vid clips they showed on his draft pick OSU was clearly holding on the Dawgs D !! Showed Two clips where they were holding !! 😂

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@navydawg

Look at the recent history of Bama QBs in the NFL (Hurts, Tua, Jones) versus that of Ohio State QBs (not a single good one in program history) and it makes sense. Stroud has a higher ceiling but Young will pick up the NFL game much faster and has a lower floor.

• Options

I get you from a historical view point, but Stroud is better than Young. Stroud was the pulse of the OSU offense. That’s why I don’t understand why the ESPN experts have OSU ranked at preseason number one.

Their gonna miss Stroud much more than Bama or UGA. For the record I’m Glad the Dawgs are not preseason number one. Gives Kirby the ole “We’ve been disrespected routine” that he is a master of using for motivational purposes.

Time will tell the story, and I realize the NFL Team that each got drafted to is Extremely important. But look for Stroud ( barring a serious injury) to have a better NFL career than Young. Just my opinion.

• Options

Well with absolutely No disrespect to Jalen Carter, but apparently the legal issues Are hurting him.

I could see Young & Stroud in front of him. But Richardson ?? Richardson will take At Least minimum Two Years to even think about being a starter. Yes he’s got the athleticism but he sorely lacks experience and he’s still very lacking in over all game knowledge and moxy. He’s a work in progress for sure.

• Options

Oh well I’m absolutely clueless as to how and why the NFL teams make their picks. But it’s all good to me as I don’t watch the NFL. And with that I wish you all a Good Night. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    1SICemDAWGS11SICemDAWGS1 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As long as Arthur Blank is involved with the Falcons, they will always be cellar dwellers.

• Options
    David1David1 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Stetson is 8-1 vs the sec QBs slated to be picked well before him.

The Falcons continue to make head scratching idiotic picks in the first round.

Go Dawgs!!

• Options
    edited April 2023

Stroud had a better overall game than Young against UGA., no contest. Stroud is a much better runner by far, and has a stronger arm than Young, anyone can see that. As a 5'10 190lb QB, Young won't last long in the No Fun leauge. He's good but not that good. He lacks a strong nfl arm, and isn't that great of a runner. Panthers couldn't win with a team built around Scam Newton, who is a much more talented QB than Young. Young will fare no better at Carolina than Newton did. And technically, Jalen Hurts was drafted as an Oklahoma Sooner out of college..NOT a bama red elephant.

• Options
    kirkhilleskirkhilles Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Somebody pick Nolan Smith? What the heck!!!

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"but apparently the legal issues Are hurting him."____navydawg

I strongly disagree my Brother.....If the "legal issues" or "McShay's Smoke 'n Mirrors Report on Carter's Character" really have anything to do with a team "passing on him"...then those faux-issues hurt those teams, due to the incompetence of those team's GM's.

It didn't hurt Carter One iota, IMO. He is going into an absolute "dream situation", by going to play with 3 former teammates...Dean, Davis and Smith. You have to hand it to Philly. They did their homework. In 2 or 3 years (if that)...the Eagles are going to have a defense to rival all the Greats, like the Steelers Iron Curtain and the 80's Bears.

That's the Philadelphia brand of football. Those 4 UGA Greats will "show the Philly crowd blood...and they will love them for it". Lol...if I was Carter...I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The money will come.

SMH...I still can't believe the move by Arizona to trade up for a guy that wasn't on anybody's radar. And taking Richardson in the 1st round??? Who hires these people?

• Options
    My_Dawg_RyanMy_Dawg_Ryan Posts: 383 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m officially cheering for the eagles now and not the falcons! They are so ****, no wonder they can’t get fans in the stands! But for real, no longer a falcons fan! Hope eagles when like 2-3 SB in the next 5 to 6 years! Fly eagles fly! Going to get a Carter jersey as soon as it’s available!

• Options
    PetesdawgsPetesdawgs Posts: 412 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Are the same marketing people who work for Anheuser Busch, now working for the Falcons? The lowly Falcons pick a running back who is mediocre at best, while a hero Bulldog goes to Philly. Carter would have excited many Georgia fans and maybe some of them would have gone to a Falcons game. I am done with Woke Arthur Blank and ask him to sell the team to an owner who knows how to win. Man how many Georgia players are on Philly now--Maybe 5 or 6?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Bryce Young was the most instinctive QB between he and Stroud by far. HIs ablility to make plays out of nothing by extending plays with his feet was second to none. Stroud had the benefit of playing in an offensive juggernaut but still couldn't beat Michigan, how many 1st round WR's did he have to throw to? Smith-Njigba, 1st rounder and then the guy we knocked out of the game will be a 1st rounder next year. It's a good thing that the back-ups for Metchie and Wiliams couldn't catch down the stretch of the NC game when Young was hitting them in the chest with passes.

THe knock on Young that I brought up on here and they kept discussing last night isn't his height, it's his smallish frame. Everytime he gets sacked, the coaches, the team and their fans will be holding their breath and watching with one eye closed and the other one only half open. Tua is stout by comparison to Bryce and we've seen him get brutalized.

• Options
    edited April 2023

Exactly..1 name pops up immediately..Brett Favre. I doubt he would've had the career in Atlanta that he did in Green Bay though, there was MUCH better talent at GB than Atlanta then. And those were also Favre's wilder days of drinking, and partying, and Atlanta wanted no part of that, so he was traded (as if other players don't do the same things Favre did). Still, just another, in a long line of great players traded away, for who? Falcons get great players, but fail at developing those players, or trade them. This has gone on for years with the Falcons, and until they are serious about winning, the trend will continue.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Lol...you reminded me of something Deion Sanders said in response to 'why he wanted to be traded'...when Atlanta traded him to the 49'ers. He said, "Atlanta isn't serious about winning and their management is a mess."....or something to that effect. It wasn't too long after that, that the Smith's sold the team to Blank, amid massive fanfare. Hell...the whole State of Georgia cheered. Lol

I think the Smith Family SOLD...'cause they were having a hard time finding enough Fans to fill out their roster. Lmao

The best passing QB I've seen in ATL since 1965, is hands-down....Steve Bartkowski. He was a hard drinker and partier, when they first signed him. And, initially, there were doubts. But, he could sling the ball like "nobody's business"...so, they stuck with him through the growing pains. He found God in his second year...and put down the bottle, which launched him into the stratosphere, cause the team around him, bought-in. He became a Leader.

They had a helluva defense at the time, that kept them close in most of their games, so they could afford to "s.u.c.k it up" on the offense and give Bart time to develop.

Yeahhh...hindsight being 20/20...they should've probably kept Farve. But, I don't think he would've been anywhere near as successful, playing for the "Lame Birds". Maybe, if he had come along 5 or 10 yrs later...who knows?.

There's a prime example of the value of the QB position...a QB is only as successful as the team around him. Getting a "New All-Everything quarterback"...fixes nothing, when your coaches and the rest of your team is incompetent. That's actually one of the last pieces of the puzzle to fall in place, in a successful football program.

First you build the team and identity....THEN, you worry about the QB. And, that's what Arthur Smith has been doing, IMO. I'll be interested to see who they take in rounds 2 thru 7. That'll give us a better idea of direction. I think they're going to go big on the offensive side of the ball...and, maybe add one or two pieces to their defensive backfield.

There was a lot done, through free agency, this year. I'm lookin' for the Falcons to make a run, this year. But, they need a good backup QB....and, **** the "has-been's". Lol