Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Bulldog time travel: In search of UGA’s ‘lost’ athletics past

SystemSystem Posts: 10,430 admin
edited April 2023 in Article commenting
imageBulldog time travel: In search of UGA’s ‘lost’ athletics past

Where drivers park and students learn, study and relax, UGA athletes once competed.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    BornADawgBornADawg Posts: 622 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Thanks for the great article Bill. I always enjoy reading them as it brings back a lot of memories of growing up in the fifties (thus the name, BornADawg) in Athens. I remember Legion Pool well, spending hot summer days there, the old softball field that sat behind it where I would watch an uncle pitch on a fast pitch softball team. Man, he could bring it! Great memories of the old YMCA downtown where I was a Kelley Kid. I can still remember the way those old locker rooms smelled. I had the great fortune to be able to play on what is now Dooley Field at Sanford Stadium with the “Y”. We would have two game going from midfield to each end zone. Sanford Stadium was only 30,000 to 35,000 seating then and we probably only played in front of a couple thousand early arriving fans but we thought it was a packed stadium! 🤣 After the games back then, you could go onto the field. As kids we would ask players for their chin straps. I believe it was after an Auburn game I got my first one and thought I had died and gone to heaven. Still remember sitting on the tracks watching a game with another uncle who would have a mason jar of “water” but it sure did smell kinda funny! 🤣. Great memories from a bygone era. Thanks again Bill! Look forward to your next article. Go Dawgs!

• Options
    BillKingBillKing Posts: 62 ✭✭ Sophomore
    edited April 2023

to BornADawg: Thanks! I remember the fad of kids asking for chinstraps, and then bringing them to school the following Monday to show off!

• Options
    SummervilleDAWGSummervilleDAWG Posts: 3 ✭ Freshman

Bill King, I have a photo of Sanford Stadium my grandfather Harry Marks took in 1939. My dad, Jamie Marks, attended UGA 1939-40 before money ran out and he left to serve in the Army Air Corp in World War II. The photo is of a Georgia football team practice session, and they appear to be set up for a place kick drill. The short man in the black shirt seems to be Wally Butts, not long after he became the Georgia coach. Is there any way I can send it to you? Paul Marks, Summerville, GA

• Options

Maybe this works. Paul Marks- Summerville, GA

• Options

To SummervilleDAWG: Yes, you can email it to me as an attachment at junkyardblawg@gmail.com.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great read Bill, thanks for the pictures and cool history of the Harvard of the South!!

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Great article, Bill!

When I was at UGA from 1976-1980, I remember being so disappointed when I realized that Herty Field was a parking lot…..such a lost part of UGA’s heritage, I thought.

Then going back and seeing how they restored the green space, it was glorious!

Still couldn’t visualize how they played ball there, but your pictures in your article were enlightening!

Thanks much for the memories of Stegeman hall as well….swam in the pool, played intramural basketball (we were the “Nads”) and played racquet ball in the courts in the basement….good times!

• Options

To SummervilleDAWG: Thanks for the great shot! I added it to the Facebook album.

• Options

You are welcome, Bill King.

• Options
    bobcdawgbobcdawg Posts: 64 ✭✭ Sophomore

That's a great picture! Bulldog history come to life. And it gives a real sense of how far the stadium has come since the early days.