Home Off Topic
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Oppenheimer

ChopperChopper Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Just saw it. Went in with sky high expectations; They were exceeded. Awesome movie. Very intense, very cerebral, and very enlightening. Had quite an interesting convo with Mrs. Chopper afterwards over dinner about the ending of WWII and the never ending debate about dropping the bombs vs invading Japan. See it on the biggest possible screen and go in with your bladder bone dry.

Comments

• Options
    KBWDawgKBWDawg Posts: 14 ✭✭✭ Junior

Agree on all counts, including the very last one. Excellent film, and not really the film I was expecting to see.

• Options
    ChopperChopper Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with this. My push back on the non-bombers has always been that there were 2 options on the table (only two...) and they were both horrible. You have to make a choice. You make the one that is best for those you represent given the data that you have at the moment and then you live with it. I also think people forget the extreme degree of urgency of getting that thing built before Germany; it wasn’t initially built for the Pacific. If Adolf has that thing when we level Dresden much of Europe is uninhabitable to this day, there is a bridge from Sicily to Northern Africa after Gibraltar has been dammed and the Mediterranean lowered and what was desert is being irrigated and used to grow food for the surviving Europeans who are all speaking German. Don’t even want to think about what the East coast USA or Moscow would look like.

• Options
    MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I haven't seen the film, but it got an 8.8 rating on IMDB. Reserved for exceptional films.

And an impressive list of accomplished actors: Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, Cillian Murphy, Robert Downey Jr., Jason Clarke, Tony Goldwyn, and Kenneth Branagh who was fantastic in "Murder on the Orient Express".

You couldn't assemble a better cast.

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Was it militarily necessary? Probably not since we had decimated imperial Japan through a conventional bombing campaign that continued even after the atomic bombs were dropped. Psychologically it had a pretty big effect on some of the higher ups in the government but they were still split on surrender when the Soviets violated their neutrality pact with Japan after a secret arrangement was made between the allied forces and began their invasion of Manchukuo with only ten days before they would reach the home islands. The atom bombs and the subsequent Soviet invasion broke Emperor Hirohito and he ordered his government to surrender and accept the terms of the Potsdam declaration. There was an attempted coup after this but most of the military didn’t participate and it failed. They knew they had lost. It’s still debated whether the Soviet invasion or the atomic bombs played a larger role in imperial Japan’s surrender

• Options
    Old_lady_dawg_fanOld_lady_dawg_fan Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I've been a bit wary. My boys and I read for school portions of The Making of the Atomic Bomb, and I understand the moral dilemma faced by Oppenheimer, but what does the woke entertainment industry do with ethical questions?

• Options
    YaleDawgYaleDawg Posts: 7,112 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only because of how effective the bombing campaign on imperial Japan was. Internally, the government had already made the decision to surrender because their ability to wage an effective war had been destroyed and their army was useless. They had no fuel, they had no food, and they had no navy. They knew the war was lost for months, but they were fighting over terms of surrender and if they should surrender before a land invasion took place. The atomic bomb and the Soviet invasion forced them to surrender quickly and unconditionally though.