Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

BREAKING: 5-star safety KJ Bolden makes his college decision

Comments

• Options
    WildmanSlayerWildmanSlayer Posts: 90 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited August 2023

Just because KJ chose FSU doesn't mean the recruiting is over, he still hasn't signed on the dotted line, not saying he will change his mind, but it can happen, and if he doesn't, I wish him the best, except if he's playing my Dawg. Also' On other recruiting sites I was hearing KJ's Mother wanted him to go to FSU.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There’s tons of what I call Positive Pressure on these young star athletes. I call it Positive Pressure because initially ( Especially With NIL $$$) because all these schools cater to these young guys And their families like they are movie stars or something.

And with NIL $$$ Initially it won’t be a loss. Probably the most $$$ the athlete AND their immediate family have ever had in a One Time big chunk with more to come monthly or yearly.

BUT and IF the player chooses the wrong school it has the potential to utterly Ruin their NFL potential or at the least degrade the probabilities.

Allot of these guys ( and their families) bite on the short term good money instead of looking to the future with Mega Money potential. There’s a vast difference in being a First Round NFL draft pick verses Fifth Round !!!

Also as many of you my fellow fans have stated and I fully agree, Loyalty and Dedication to a school Still Matter even in this age of big money being tossed around.

We want guys that are Proud and Happy to be Dawgs !! Those that UGA “G” is meaningful to them. I don’t wish any bad on this young man, but like many other players who chose wrong, he might find himself kicking his own rear for this poor decision.

With or without him our Dawgs WILL be Winners !! It’s a Team ideology that is now deeply imbedded at UGA. Our Dawgs will be very much in the conversation for National Championships for years to come as long as Kirby Smart is the HC. That’s what he’s built at UGA, and that’s what he strives extremely hard to sustain. Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I know Kirby is relentless on the recruiting trail but this feels like Haselwood all over again. There was a kid in a Gwinnett school back when CMR was recruiting who was all world 5 star and played us like this too. Forget the kids name but he ended up going to Tennessee as a wr. So something with these local kids (especially Gwinnett) where 'it would appear they like to showboat the coaches involved.' I put that in quotes because the media is so unreliable that you can't always trust what is written. However, when you see multiple social media and articles that sound off then it would appear that the recruit is a prima donna.

We never do well with these local prima donna kids.

Poor Kirby got played. I guess that is why he makes so much money to put up with this stuff. 16+ personal visits Kirby sat with this kid. Ouch that really hurts. I bet that is going to sting in the Smart household for awhile. I'm sure Kirby is pissed right now.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 948 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not a hater My Dawg, just calling it like it is, so sorry you can't handle a little truth.....bless your little heart ryan.

• Options
    MACDAWGMACDAWG Posts: 260 ✭✭✭ Junior

Meh, FSU is his choice, his dream school growing up, OK. We are very solid in in the secondary. Sure, I wanted another great 5star, but we will be good without him. UGA will sign a great 5star safety next year. One thing to remember, there is always the transfer portal!

• Options
    78Dawg78Dawg Posts: 167 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • Options

Although there are many, many more I could reference on this Dawgs team. Look at Bowers and McConkey. One from in state (McConkey) the other from out of state. Bowers had NFL wrote all over him pretty much right from the start, YET it’s been well documented how humble he is, Always giving the Team the credit. He’s a definite DGD.

In McConkey’d case yes Kirby was able to recognize the natural athletic abilities that Ladd does indeed have, BUT Ladd had to completely and totally Pour himself into full and total commitment to the program to become as Good as he is and as Fast as he did it !! And like Bowers he’s humble, Always giving the Team the credit. So he’s another definite DGD.

Those are the type players I Love to see and that we Need to see suit up for Georgia. And thanks to the extremely hard work on the recruiting trail by Kirby and All of his recruiting staff and coaches we are blessed to have Allot of Dawgs that fit that mold on this team.

I’m Not saying this young man would have been a distraction on the team, all I know about him is what I read on here. But the last thing in the world we need from Any player, is for them to become a cancer in the locker room. That could and probably would ruin our opportunities for a 3peat and beyond.

I have Full Trust in Kirby and staff to make the right decisions. But If and When players come along with the seeming attitude “ I’m doing you a Favor to come to UGA” I don’t care how talented they are I’d drop Em like a red hot horseshoe !! Because their presence could wreak havoc on team chemistry !!

Our Dawgs now have a Brotherhood of the “G” !! And in a large part that has played a vital part of their success !! They view each other as Family, and don’t want to let each other down, and their unit and position coaches, and of course the patriarch of the Family, Kirby Smart.

Though of course it’s not the only element but this “ Family” type ideology I honestly believe has played an important role in the success we’ve seen. We don’t want or need Anyone to disrupt that ideology and environment !!

So sometimes a miss on the recruitment of a player, Might be a blessing in disguise !!

• Options
    busterchapbusterchap Posts: 79 ✭✭✭ Junior

Adios! Time to move on! KJ Who?

• Options
    PeterAPeterA Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

Thought it’d go sideways. The timing of Frazier’s commitment is no accident.

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Actually, with all the self-promotion, I'm not so sure this was a big miss for UGA. I do not get this self-centered vibe from virtually any other Dawg currently on the team or committed. Don't wish him ill, but sure seems like a bad cultural fit here, so not a huge issue.

• Options
    edited August 2023

Very well said. We have some really selfless players on the team the last few years and even before with guys like Chubb and Michel. We will be fine without the kid.

Also, I would add that loyalty and devotion are that much more important in this day of money and NIL. If a guy doesn't understand that you get more NIL based on what you deliver to the team then is he really a team guy? I mean KJ wouldn't have even started next year because we have Aguero and Starks. Should he get more NIL then Starks? Starks is a stinking AA.

• Options

@BigDawg888 @Kudzu

I agree with Both of Y’all !! Take McConkey for example when Kirby first offered him it was well noted right here on DN that Ladd’s family were mostly and staunchly Vols fans !!

But Ladd has shown very clearly he’s All Dawg !! And I bet allot of his family are converts now !! My point being when Kirby offered Ladd and he accepted, he put aside all the Vol stuff and Poured himself into being a Dawg.

As some of you have duly noted, this young man Bolden seemed to only want to toy with Kirby and the Dawgs. I mean 16 visits ??!!?? Then to go to FSU over UGA as related to football ?? On the Defense ?? As more than apt in the Secondary ?? Absolutely Ludicrous !!

Even rivals that Hate UGA they many times admit that Kirby is a master of Defense, In Particular the Secondary !!!

So in my mind it near about Had to be two fold, the short term gratuity of NIL, and the mental image of fulfilling his childhood dream of wearing those Noles colors. In short summary he Blew It !!

He let a Huge & Fantastic opportunity go, for a much less short term pleasure. BUT as Yall and others have stated, and I fully agree, this is not a miss in reality. It’s a Blessing !!

I mean we Wouldn’t Want Ladd McConkey participating in practice and playing on the field with him constantly thinking and maybe even Saying, “ Oh I wish I was a Vol, I wish I was a Vol” !! With that type of thinking I extremely doubt that the Ladd McConkey we know and love would have even become the dynamic player that he Certainly is !!

Worse yet, if he blathered on in the locker room with laments about not being a Vol, the negativity would surely have some bad affect on his fellow players. And can we even begin to imagine how he’d be when we Play vs. the Vols ??!!??

We have Now and have had in the past Many Great Dawgs who grew up with an admiration for some other team. But when they were offered to BE a Dawg and accepted, they Totally discarded that and fully committed to the G !!

And this young man Bolden never had that type commitment in his mind and heart for UGA. So no matter how athletically skilled he is, in the long run we’re better off without him. I don’t Wish him any evil, but I honestly don’t think he will come close to being at FSU what he could have been ( with hard work and dedication) at UGA.

EVEN if he does manage to score really high in the NFL draft it will take 3x more personal effort from Him, because he Will Not get the same level of Elite Coaching he just turned down. First round draft pick (UGA) or fifth or maybe fourth round (FSU) He made his pick.

Enjoy that short term NIL money and those Noles colors is all I can say. And watch another player that was rated 4 or even 3 star in HS, picked Higher in the NFL draft because they Wisely chose UGA and Fully committed and dedicated themselves to being the best Dawg they can be !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I feel better just listening to the wisdom of so many of these comments.

• Options

I don't. I feel worse. Ready to see some actual football games and stop talking about 17 and 18 year old wanna be superstars. I hate it that I follow college football so closely but it is better than watching the news and I gave up volunteer work a year ago. Maybe I need another hobby but this seems relatively benign.

Better than the news...

• Options
    SpdawgSpdawg Posts: 344 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I appreciate everyone’s passion, but when you get right down to it, plenty of defensive backs and safeties get drafted in the first round from schools not named UGA. The young man will have a much better chance at playing time early on at FSU. It’s not like he’s playing at Iowa State. Plenty of eyes will be on him in Tallahassee. He will get first team reps in practice sooner as well. We wish him well in his career and move on.

• Options
    Bdw3184Bdw3184 Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
  • Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JUst too many articles written about on guy. I know all the prognosicators had him going to UGA but his comments about "no one knows where I'm going" told the tell for me. He had more articles about him the Arch Manning and that was too many. Neither chose UGA! Raolia was too many too, ( I didn't waste time reading them all but he did end up choosing UGA.