Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why it would take more than bad QB play for Georgia to lose multiple games

SystemSystem Posts: 10,480 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageWhy it would take more than bad QB play for Georgia to lose multiple games

ATHENS — ESPN has Georgia No. 1 in its preseason power poll to no one’s surprise, but the projected worst-case scenario listed was eye-opening.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    street0123street0123 Posts: 67 ✭✭✭ Junior

Turnovers can crush a good team, just look at the loss to SC a few years ago. Interceptions, fumbles, and poor decisions by a QB can crush a game.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@street0123 That is a prime example and exactly the point!

• Options
    ShoottheHoochShoottheHooch Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Defensively, pretty much the same question marks and talking points this time last year. My guess is there will be the same questions next year after another draft takes the bulk of the production off this year’s interior defense. Coach Scott is in the business of making millionaires out of his d-linemen.

• Options
    DoggoneDoggone Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

This is one of the weakest schedules I have seen in 40 years. With the talent that we have we should clean house. The question in my mind is will the coaching staff keep them focused and tenacious for the duration? A poor/weak showing against most of the teams would hurt us considerably.

• Options

@Doggone The schedule yes, but remember the Oklahoma game was out of UGA's control

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

15-0. Book It.

• Options
    99nout99nout Posts: 218 ✭✭✭ Junior

If UGA doesn't win the SEC, the selection committee will keep them out of the CFP. They don't want us winning three in a row and will do whatever they can to stop it. UGA has to have a clean run to get to CFP. 13-0 or nothing.

I just noticed that SI.com has the SEC championship already listed in our '23 schedule. LOL

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

• Inability to stop the run.....didn't seem to be a problem in Saturdays scrimmage...I heard the O-Line took some grief for not opening holes?

• Inability to generate pass rush without blitz.....Seems the Spring game demonstrated that we have several who are more than capable at putting the QB on his keester when the QB protections are removed....ie: game day.

• Inability to win the turnover battles......Given the depth of the RB and WR rooms and the absolute war going on for playing time, not protecting the ball is the surest way to remove yourself from the rotation.

There is only one way in which The Dawg's will lose a game......Those UFO's bring extra terrestrial aliens that kidnap every member of our QB room.....even then I heard that more than one receiver has been known to sling a few long balls!

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited August 2023

UGA's returning CB's have not yet demonstrated the ability to be shut down pass defenders. A CB's best friend is a good pass rush. As of right now UGA has 1 proven pass rusher. Mykel Williams. And no interior, pocket wrecker.

Improved CB play and finding/manufacturing multiple pass rushers is imperative to UGA making the CFB playoff.

CBeck is unproven. The good news is that he has been in the O and practicing against the D for 3 yrs. But he has not done it against a live opponent in a hostile stadium w/90K screaming fans with the game on the line.

There are a lot of questions and unknowns to be figured out before anointing anyone '23 champion.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good synopsis Mike. Agree, but I might also add a point on the offensive side of the ball...if we can't keep an effective run game going consistently with a stout and fairly healthy RB crew, then too much pressure might be put on Beck (or whomever) in the passing game. That could lead to mistakes, turnovers, and bad decisions.

• Options

@MountainDawg That is spot on --- run game will matter!

• Options

This was my thought. UFOs.

The only way we lose is if we have one of those games where we turn it over 3 or 4 times AND the defense gives up touchdowns instead of fgs.

We have been lucky not to have those the last 2 years but that would be the only way.

The Offensive Line if they are really the best need to perform better.

I just don't see anyone scoring on us unless our offense screws it up. Don't screw it up Bobo!

• Options

You are right. I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised with our pass rush this year.

Beck is such as accurate passer that we are going to score points. I am not concerned. However, if for some reason his mobility does become an issue then I don't doubt they would put Griff in. The luxury of having 3 'starter' level qbs.

Not too concerned about our running backs because our schedule is soft opening up. It would be good to have Milton and/or Branson available by Auburn. However, we should be fine with Dijon Mustard Edwards most of the time. Then supplement him with some jet sweeps, toss sweeps and other creative runs from the rest of the crew.