Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Experience gets Carson Beck Georgia starting job, but ‘No. 1 measure’ yet to play out

SystemSystem Posts: 10,533 admin
edited August 2023 in Article commenting
imageExperience gets Carson Beck Georgia starting job, but ‘No. 1 measure’ yet to play out

ATHENS — Kirby Smart is like any other head coach when it comes to preferring an experienced quarterback under center.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Time will tell. Will Beck follow in the footsteps of JT or Stetson?

will Vandergriff be more like Beck and wait his turn or go to USC to play for Riley who initially recruited him.

will Stockton really want to battle it out with the upperclassman AND the incoming Raiola or seek a clearer path to playing time.

each will make the decision that’s best for them. Our job as fans is to know we have a QB1 and QB2 that can lead the dawgs.

• Options
    thadecthadec Posts: 611 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Brooksie

The guys behind Caleb Williams at USC were rated very similarly to Beck, Vandagriff and Stockton coming out of high school, and they'll be a year or more ahead of Vandagriff in Riley's system. Were Vandagriff to transfer he would need to be more savvy in picking a destination.

That said, there are two scenarios for the 2023 season.

1. Beck plays well, UGA makes the playoff as a result and Beck joins his 2020 recruiting year classmates Bryce Young, CJ Stroud and Anthony Richardson in the NFL via the 2024 draft.
    2. Beck is a pedestrian performer or worse, UGA misses the playoff as a result and Beck hits the portal.

Both scenarios have Vandagriff as UGA's starter in 2023.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Beck only comes back if he is injured and Griff ends up starting. Even then it might depend on how far into the season that happened and how he looked before that.

I can tell you that from watching A LOT of football and playing for 11 years that Beck is a legitimate top 3 round qb. Potentially 1st round.

I have made this prediction earlier but will do so again. Beck will be a 1st round pick and leave opening the door up for Griff for next year.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I got news for ya, brother...if Beck underperforms....he won't get a chance to "miss the playoffs". Either, BVG or Gunner will take his place, before the season's over. UGA isn't THAT dependent on the QB position.

I've noticed all the "prognosticators"...including Finebaum, Reece Davis and poor ole Lou Holtz...are forgetting The Dawgs also have a "World Class Defense" and a Special Teams Unit loaded with former "Top 100 Recruits"...and "loads of experience & depth" at nearly every position. No other Team in CFB can make that claim. Not even Bama, OSU or Michigan.

I see a lot of Bama Fans being very disappointed, this year. Mainly because all the Hype they're getting, is "Fool's Gold", from wishful thinkers and eternal optimists...IMO.

LSU and South Carolina are 2 teams that are being underestimated. They won't be, for long. UGA better be ready for Carolina...and I think they will be. The Dawgs could very well be Carolina's only regular season loss. Lol...can't wait to see what Beamer has put together, in year 3.

This is going to be a fun Football Season...no matter who wins it all. As long as it ain't OSU, MICH or USC...I'm good with it. Lol