Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

3 quick takeaways: QB play solid in 48-7 Georgia win, Brock Bowers shows superpowers

SystemSystem Posts: 10,556 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
image3 quick takeaways: QB play solid in 48-7 Georgia win, Brock Bowers shows superpowers

Georgia quarterback Carson Beck heated up as the game wore on, while Brock Bowers showed his versatility running and catching the ball after lining up all over the field.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    HemingweyHemingwey Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Get serious Mike, Beck was disappointing at best. Vandagriff saw very limited action, but was absolutely impressive in terms of pocket presence and big play potential. I am legitimately concerned that Beck is not undefeated season or championship material. He just doesn’t have that ‘thing’. He seems timid. Most of his throws and reads were poor. This was his chance, and he did not deliver.

• Options
    MikeGriffithMikeGriffith Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Hemingwey Kirby Smart had a different take -- I wrote my story before the post-game interviews.

Maybe Kirby will differently later -- but he felt great about Beck after the game

• Options
    zonadawg61zonadawg61 Posts: 421 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Beck seems to bring little juice. He seems comatose. No swagger. But maybe that's what Kirby's looking for. Far be it from me to second guess. Vandergriff to me was the most impressive. Has the size, wheels and moxy to be the guy. Even Gunnner was exciting. Beck just looks like he doesn't care. I know that's a BS take from me, but man, show a little excitement!

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 252 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As you bash Beck… please keep in mind his QBR was better than Bennett’s v. Samford and almost v. Kent State last year! This was his 1st game as as starter and with a new OC. Not perfect but NOTHING to worry about yet. It’s always easier to come in up 20+ as a backup then a 1st time starter.

Zero concerns yet from this Dawg! Almost 68% completion rate, TD run and improved in the game….that’s a win!

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 375 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
    edited September 2023

That “Beck bashing” is complete nonsense. Surely we aren’t going through this another year. He had absolute control and looked solid. He did miss a few but not many QBs finish their games with a 100% completion rate. The kid looked good. Yes, like a kid getting his first start but still good.

And rating Vandagriff as the better based on a few series versus a full half+, that is just silly. I would point out, his TD to Delp was underthrown when he was wide open. Delp reached back and fell backwards into the end zone. Vandagriff definitely did look good, and I feel good about him, but not better.

If anything was an issue offensively, it was the line’s inability to block, particularly in a run situation.

• Options
    TrippTripp Posts: 514 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Beck’s timing was just a little off but overall he had a good game. I think the timing issues (which improved as game went on) we’re due to nerves of being 1st game starter in front of 92k fans knowing that a large portion of the Georgia fan base is just looking at his performance under a microscope ready to cast doubt. After all, he Witnessed first hand how the Dawgs fans ridiculed Stetson. Beck didn’t have an A+ performance by no means but he made a lot of good decisions, he footwork was great and his reads were solid. Overall, I think he did a B to B+ job on his 1st start. Let’s not forget, a lot of his key weapons were out, Rosemy-Jacksaint, McConkey, Edwards to name a few. The Georgia QB room is strong and I’m gonna trust in Kirby’s decision on who is best to lead this team.