Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Georgia football-Ball State: Live updates, injury news, practice reports for Week 2

SystemSystem Posts: 10,533 admin
edited September 2023 in Article commenting
imageGeorgia football-Ball State: Live updates, injury news, practice reports for Week 2

The No. 1 ranked Georgia football team takes on Ball State on Saturday, Sept. 9. Below you can find live updates, injury news and practice updates for the Week 2 game.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Some things random things that have been talked about with the game: the very poor run blocking by the TEs. Lovett and Arian Smith need to catch the balls thrown to them. At least one easy TD missed. Yeah I know, Beck blew a few himself Maybe first game jitters. Most, not all, RB runs were jukeless...straight ahead. Need jukester Dajun E. to back up Kendall. Mews was sensational in my book. The little walk-on showed out! That energy he brings. Bowers can play any position on UGA team...lol. The OL needs a fire set under it..they got waxed early on. DL...excellent.

Ball State is supposedly superior to UTM. KY did not find them a problem. UGA should not either. OL must be more authoritative....get off the ball quicker. Take it to the defense. Hunt all four quarters.

• Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

They say the biggest improvement is from the first game of the season to the second game.

That said, our first game was probably much like a scrimmage in the way that Kirby and Company approached it.

Let's look at the team talent of UT Martin vs the team talent of Ball State. Looking at Ball State they have zero 5 star players, zero 4 star players and only 35 3 star players. UT Martin? 12 3 star players.

Kirby and Company have an obligation to win these games, protect ourselves from injuries as much as possible, and learn from the games. Our team also has the opportunity to give game-time experience to a great many players deep on the depth chart. However, everyone knows these games are easier than practice. Everyone knows they're more like scrimmages for us.

When I say everyone I'm leaving out a good chunk of the fanbase.

I'd say we'll be ready to play South Carolina. We'll be much better by the time we play Auburn assuming some luck in the injury department.

It is very clear we don't know much yet, but we know LSU has a lot more "team talent" than FSU, Yet look at what happened when they played.

Maybe we will need to improve this week to beat Ball State. Although I seriously doubt it, I don't rule it out. Of far greater importance is our need to constantly improve. Good thing that's always Kirby's #1 goal.

I'm expecting our next scrimmage to be better.

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 951 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"Kirby and Company have an obligation to win these games, protect ourselves from injuries as much as possible, and learn from the games. Our team also has the opportunity to give game-time experience to a great many players deep on the depth chart. However, everyone knows these games are easier than practice. Everyone knows they're more like scrimmages for us.

When I say everyone I'm leaving out a good chunk of the fanbase.".......How true Jim....For our second scrimmage, Ball State only mustered 72 yds rushing against The Wildcats.....seemed to focus on passing so I'm lookin for some stellar secondary play accented by D-Line pressure. Kentucky allowed 223 yds passing and two TD's, The Dawgs can and will do much better. Ball States D-Line is a bit stouter than UTM so I'd sure like to see more control and more push from our O-Line, thus giving our RB's a few more openings to hit! I'm sure Carson will continue to work on his "juke and run" aided by some down blocking by our O-Line. Improvements will be seen against stouter competition!

• Options
    JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 367 ✭✭✭ Junior

How many 3, 4 and 5 star recruits does Duke have??? Clemson's recruiting ranking didn't help them tonight. Just goes to show that the team with the higher recruits doesn't always win and experience matters. A 4* freshman might struggle against a former 2* senior with 4 years experience playing college ball. A lot of these small schools have junior and senior laden teams that have played in a lot of football games. It is not surprising that they can hang around for a quarter or two against the big boys.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Experience and Effort Greater Than Talent when Talent has bad Effort