Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Tim Tebow makes plea to Heisman Trophy voters on behalf of Brock Bowers

SystemSystem Posts: 10,668 admin
edited October 2023 in Article commenting
imageTim Tebow makes plea to Heisman Trophy voters on behalf of Brock Bowers

ATHENS — It’s a given that Brock Bowers — or any other non-quarterback — will need help from the college football hype machine to have any shot at winning the Heisman Trophy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brock is the best but because he is a non-complainer me guy most people do not know he has been playing with multiple injuries. If his injuries were well socialized he would garner more attention but so be it, he just isn't that person. However, we all know

HE IS THAT GUY

• Options
    DawgCrazy76DawgCrazy76 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Brock Bowers for Heisman! Go Dawgz.😎

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

How about the one handed catch that was called by by a penalty at Auburn. Jerry Rice would be pleased with that. He's the best player in college football.

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Yeah, that's the highlight you won't normally see because it's "not a catch". But was easily one of the best catches I've seen all year. The 2 bowers one-handed catches against auburn back 2 back, and the one by rara this weekend are tops to me. And Tebow, with what is written above, didn't even mention the blocking ability of bowers.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited October 2023

"Being part of an undefeated team bodes well, as evidenced by Stetson Bennett’s fourth-place finish in the Heisman race last season."_____@MikeGriffith

It does, if you play for anybody, but, UGA. Lol

If Bennett had played for Bama, OSU, USC or one of the BIG12 teams...he would've won the Heisman. Those guys, shamelessly campaign for it, every year...and ESPN selects their faves.

You can't tell me, that Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray or Tim Tebow was a "Better QB" than Stetson. I've got eyes, too. Lol Bennett didn't play on a "Stat-friendly"...."ESPN Darling Team"....or, for a Head Coach that values that Award...[which is the real deciding factor]. But...that's water under the bridge.

IMO....Tebow and Bowers are "birds-of-a-feather". Bowers could've played QB or RB....and Tebow could've played RB or TE. Tebow needed ESPN's "Push"....and so will Bowers.

The only difference between those two players....is their Head Coach. Smart is not the "Politician" that Urban Meyer was. Kirby is a Football Coach...learning to navigate the political side [and doing a darned good job, at that].

I don't get the sense, that Kirby holds much value in that "Award". However...I think he's starting to see the "recruiting value" in having a "Heisman Trophy Player" to point to on recruiting visits. That's why Bowers and Beck got as much playing time, as they did, in the first 3 or 4 games. IMO

One other thing that's starting to come into focus...ESPN is a racist organization that views everything through a lens, that doesn't see Caucasian. Lol...UGA is one of the few teams, that have almost as many white players, as black players, at the skill positions.

I think that's a stone in ESPN's shoe...which is why their "Bulldog Spotlight" is so dim when held up to the light shining on Bama, OSU, Colorado and USC. Those guys aren't better...they are darker....and, that's why racist ESPN covers em different.

I'm just calling it, like I see it. I could be dead wrong. I sincerely hope i am. If I am...please point out, what I'm missing.

Go Dawgs!!!

• Options

I actually thought they would show that on the SEC FINAL Show, that comes on, late Saturday night on the SEC Network. But....it's UGA. Lol

That first one, that was nullified...was absolutely amazing. It's the most awe inspiring one-handed catch I've ever seen....because he caught a rope, with one hand...in stride...without using his body to control it. I've NEVER seen that....in any venue...sandlot or organized football.

• Options
    GoodOlDawgGoodOlDawg Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There are so many things that sets Brock Bowers apart from all the rest. He is such a team player that he may not even care about the Heisman! That is very impressive and more difficult to find with each passing year, especially among the superstars. He doesn’t have a cute dance to do following a touchdown, he finds the nearest teammate and celebrates.

GO DAWGS!

• Options

I used to worship The Heisman, back in the 60's and '70's...[when I was a kid...Lol].

Till they gave it to Roosevelt Leaks. And...after giving it to Archie Griffin twice...while denying Herschel Walker [arguably the greatest CFB Player...EVER] the Award, just because, "he was a Freshman". Herschel should have been a 2-time...if not 3-time...Heisman recipient. BUT....Archie Griffin?!...c'mon man. Lol

IMO...It's NOT a "Football Award". Moreover...in hindsight...maybe, it never was. It's a media award...for the best hype spin.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

From the humility and putting Team first that we’ve seen from Brock Bowers. I doubt very seriously he’s all that concerned about the ESPN oops Heisman Award !! His Reward will come in numerous ways but a multi, multi, million $$$ contract in the NFL will be very nice for him to !! 😀. Go Brock Bowers you DGD !!! Go Dawgs !!!

• Options

You forgot one of the ways he'll be rewarded. Lol

He'll never have to buy another meal or drink, in the State of Georgia. WE know who and what he is...and, don't need the likes of the sycophantic network morons, to tell us.

He is part of "The UGA Bulldog Network"...and, that's far more valuable than any Trophy, in my eyes. And, his too...IMO.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Guys, guys, guys...

we all know he is playing with a fractured hand that he is recovering from right?

Tebow knows and so do most on the inside of what is going on.

Marvin Harrison Jr. ----puuuuuhlease stop!

It should be obvious we have 2 of the top 4 guys in college and YES Beck is the other guy. Be Thankful.

• Options
    Silver_BritchesSilver_Britches Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don’t care where he played football, I’ve always respected Tebow. Seems like a genuine good dude. College football could use more guys like that.

And I agree, Bowers is the best player in college football today. Dude plays as hard as anyone and is tough as nails. He too seems like a fine young man. I’ll pull for guys like that, no matter where they play ball.

BOWERS FOR HEISMAN!

GO DAWGS!

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Amen to that !! He’ll be in the DGD Hall Of Fame for Any Dawgs fans that have watched even a smidgen of Dawgs football since he’s been here !! No doubts on that. And If one of our Dawgs Does win the Heisman any time soon it’d be a nice paper weight.

But in all honesty I don’t think many if any of our Dawgs really care that much about it. It’s for the glamor boys who tend to fizzle in the NFL. And before somebody calls me out on that No I didn’t say All Heisman winners fizzled in the NFL or even most, but there have been Allot.

Let’s face it the award is not given to the Most Capable player, it’s given to the most glitzy glamorous player. Sometimes that guy will go on to do well in the NFL other times not so much. Allot of times guys that didn’t even get a vague sniff at even being invited to the Heisman will go on to the NFL and be Awesome !!

Lastly I don’t like that it’s Almost exclusively a QB award. Oh they’ll slip a RB or a WR in there once every decade or so to give the illusion of fairness. But primarily it’s QB, QB, QB, rinse and repeat !!

Heisman is not the only Media slanted award either. So like you said and I agree, if they award him with it, he’s to humble to be an azz about it. He’d be respectful and gracious As Usual, but deep down I bet Brock Bowers could care less about the glorified paper weight the Heisman is. It IS sad that’s what it has become.

But he’s a Team guy, the epitome of what NFL owners will Want to spend their $$$ on !! I bet Even in the NFL Brock will be a Solid Team Oriented guy. Not a Me, Me, Me guy !!

• Options

He reminds me a lot of that kid from Stanford...Christian Mccafferey...with a little bit of Jim Brown and Larry Zonka mixed in. Lol

BTW...There was ONE DB that I remember, getting "The Heisman". And, he played for...guess who....Media darling, "Michigan". I don't recall his name, off hand....Charles "something". Wooden or Woods...or, something like that. Lol...it'll come to me.

• Options
  • Options
    ChiefChief Posts: 58 ✭✭✭ Junior

Brock Bowers deserves every accolade that can be bestowed to a player. Top notch abilities and performances, exemplory off field behavior and a humbleness that only the best can show. The culture among the best at UGA lends itself to sharing the load and the glory...Brock is so outstanding that he can share the load and glory and still be a national star, highly considered for the Heisman. He has my vote!

• Options
    KudzuKudzu Posts: 358 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Totally agree! I think there's some common character across Bowers and Tebow. Massively hard workers, team first, and humble... all while being world class at their positions while in the SEC

These are the kind of role models people need today, especially young ones...