Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Kirby Smart makes history with Georgia’s 38-10 win at Tennessee, refocuses quickly

SystemSystem Posts: 10,574 admin
edited November 2023 in Article commenting
imageKirby Smart makes history with Georgia’s 38-10 win at Tennessee, refocuses quickly

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. — Kirby Smart went where no SEC coach in history has gone before him, and he matched two Alabama coaching legends in the process.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    1gat1gat Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

Smart has a bunch of guys playing selflessly and focusing on the moment. That is quite an accomplishment with young folks these days, many who tend to be distracted and self absorbed… rudderless. Regardless of the records and trophies, it has been fun to watch and inspiring. Many lessons in leadership to learn.

A comparison can be drawn with Phil Jackson in the way he has the players buying in and sacrificing for the team.

• Options
    BigDawg888BigDawg888 Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I guess I'm not as familiar with Phil Jackson's story. Michael J. was a pretty arrogant and selfish person who I have read was not the greatest person. I think someone close to him got murdered because of his gambling debts. So I'm not really sure how Phil Jackson's story can be told without MJs?

Look. Kirby learned from the GOAT and he has done a remarkable job so far. Let's just leave it at that. A lot of other pieces have come together via the AD, AA, etc. A team effort all the way. It has been an amazing ride so far.

• Options
    1gat1gat Posts: 12 ✭✭ Sophomore

You are correct. You are not familiar. MJ was not the only arrogant, ego driven player in that team, nor was he the only player or the only reason they won. Phil Jackson got them to bind, gel, play together with purpose despite all of that. Read his philosophy before you jump to conclusions.

There are plenty of teams full of great players that don’t succeed. Just look at TAM and the world’s richest fired employee.

if you think these championship teams of Kirby’s are full of Boy Scouts, you are naive.

now, the term GOAT is cliche and at this point kind of boring, but I’ll use it here to say this. I think the GOAT might have learned a thing or two from Kirby as well. Kirby has a growth mindset, and I am sure he absorbed everything he possibly could, but I have come to believe that Smart has something going on beyond being a protege, and I wasn’t sold on him at first.