Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Brock Vandagriff to reportedly enter transfer portal

Comments

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

So if BB and LM were not getting reps while they were trying to rest their inuries, per KS, THen who was getting those reps and why didn't they factor more in the game Saturday?

It was almost like a Ladd at maybe 80% or a Brock Bowers at 85% was better than anyone else at 100%? What does that say about our receiving corps? Or does it say more about who CB feles comfortable with?

• Options
    DawgTattooDawgTattoo Posts: 413 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Maybe he will transfer to Oklahoma, where he originally committed before switching to UGA. Oklahoma's QB, Dillon Gabriel, has also entered the portal, thus creating an opening. Good luck wherever you go, BVG.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if Beck entering the transfer portal points Beck deciding to take the NIL offer and stay?

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Okalahoma's QB entered the portal because they have a new OC coming in and they have a dual threat QB waiting in the wings who threw for 67 TD's in 2years of HS and ran for another 37 or so. He is a 5 star with more "upside" they say. Their QB saw the writing on the wall.

• Options
    SmartsTheManSmartsTheMan Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I wonder if Vandergriff entering the transfer portal points to Beck deciding to take the NIL offer and stay?

• Options
    JimBobJimBob Posts: 31 ✭✭ Sophomore

Not surptising. Too many in the Qback room with the 2 new recruits.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mark me as a no to winning if Bennett was playing. Both were in the exact same situation vs alabama but when Bennett was in the situation his defense made the stops.

• Options
    SnakeScott13SnakeScott13 Posts: 94 ✭✭✭ Junior

May go to USC with the coach he originally he committed with .

• Options
    StiffneckStiffneck Posts: 82 ✭✭✭ Junior

Wish him well. Sounds like Kentucky is making some noise about Vandagriff. He needs to go somewhere he can start and improve his NFL draft potential.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You know what...that's exactly why Mathew Stafford wasn't completely successful at UGA. He couldn't move. That kind of QB is good for at least 1 loss per year [IMO], for the very reason you mentioned. UNLESS...you have an "all-world" Defense and Special Teams to rely on, in keeping the score within reach.

Lol...and, even then...no guarantee. See the '21 SECCG. I still don't fully understand what happened in that game. I believe, half the team was either sick...or, just getting over being sick...and, we're too weak to play. Defense lost it in '21...and defense lost it Saturday. The thing is...The offense didn't Win it...and, therein lies the rub.

I would comment on all that, but, what's the use?. We know what happened this year...on both sides of the ball. I'm looking forward to the Co-Natty in the Orange Bowl. FSU is no pushover. They may have a better defense than either UGA or Bama. It'll be a challenge for Beck. But, I think he's ready for it.

Who would've thought, that injuries would've had this kind of impact on a UGA Defense...much less Offense?.

I was amazed at the maturity those Freshmen LB's showed Saturday. Wait till they've had an offseason in the weight and conditioning program in Athens. They will be a year further along than Dean was, in '20. They'll be faster, stronger and smarter....and, the game will slow down for them.

• Options
    navydawgnavydawg Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

At Getting Open in order to get the opportunity to make a catch, Yes in my humble opinion Bowers and McConkey are our Best ( when fully healthy) at that ability. Bowers before his injury as stated right here on DN accounted for 52% of the Dawgs O. McConkey was right behind him. That’s NOT a knock in our other receivers !! No !! But Beck was Very conscious about trying to avoid INTs, So when the coverage was very tight, he tended to throw to Bowers & McConkey the most as they were Normally very adept at getting open And Normally catch the ball if it hit their hands. Both were Obviously Far from their normal selves. As for me I don’t Normally use injuries as an excuse for losing. BUT when you Couple all those Numerous injuries with the Obvious UNFAIR and Very BIASED officiating those Two elements coupled together sent the Dawgs to their demise. Had the game been called Equally & Fairly I wouldn’t have even mentioned injuries. Refs Can and Do sway the game, that’s a Reality, Not an Excuse.

Now as for BVG, I think we all pretty much knew he was leaving. I’m sad to see him go. But I sincerely wish him the Very best in Life on and off the field of play. O.S. I always enjoy your thoughtful comments. I might not agree with you on every single thing you say. But your comments are always Reasonable whether I do or don’t agree with them. And it’s obvious your a devout Dawgs fan. I wish You and your family a Very Merry Christmas !!

P.S. I have some bias on this but I’m hoping Gunner will stay. He’s from Rabun County, my wife and I just moved from middle Ga. to Rabun County going on two years ago, so that’s the reason for my bias. I’ve spoke by phone with his Dad, who is a very nice man and pleasant to converse with. I think Gunner was raised right.

• Options
    PlateauDawgPlateauDawg Posts: 43 ✭✭ Sophomore

Stetson might have won that game...only if Todd Monken was calling the plays. Beck is a better all around QB than Bennett. I wish Vandagriff well...I hope he doesn't go to Auburn but I could see Freeze turning him into a high draft pick.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited December 2023

I agree though SBIV's mobility may have helped. I look more at the Bobo/Monken comparison. I have been a Bobo defender. But running an end around at your own 11 yard line was not smart. ESPECIALLY a play that you almost never use in a game. I think the only time Bobo moved the pocket was on the 1st pass to BB's. Not all on Bobo. Pretty typical CKS game plan of running a lot between the tackles to "wear down the opposing D".

Many things could've been tried but weren't. ASmith caught a long ball should've been targeted more.

It hurt that "somebody" fell on AMims leg on the 2nd possession putting him out for the game. Called that.

• Options

Based on many comments already posted here. Beck did throw for 245 yds. While that’s not earth shattering and less than some of his 300 yds. plus efforts in other games. It’s still pretty solid.

Losing Mims so early Really Hurt the Dawgs. Because he was one of the Primary reasons for the large holes for Milton and Edwards to run through vs GT and TN earlier. He’s a Huge human being and the Bama D Line I believe would’ve had more trouble pushing him out of the way. But that’s the milk spilled, is what it is. Injuries were and aren’t my primary bone of contention.

The officiating is my bitterness, because those weren’t simply “missed calls” I know Refs are human and there for prone to make mistakes. But they Reviewed TWO Dawgs Catches and Didn’t review Any Bama Catches. The Non-Review of the obvious No Catch by Bama, Gave the Tide a TD only two plays later. Thats 7 precious points in a very tight game.

The No Call for face mask on Milton. Many other No Calls on Bama’s behalf. They did call it when the Bama defender tried his very best to Tear Beck’s Head Off !! I’m very surprised Beck wasn’t injured on that play.

The Bogus horse collar on Bullard, which Gene Santorie a retired Chief Review Official said was Very Ify and probably Shouldn’t have been called. By pointing these things out I’m NOT making excuses, I’m taking a stand against INJUSTICE !!

Oh and the ole cliche “Champions Find A Way To Win”. Well the PlayOff Committee just totally neutered that !! Undefeated FSU Found A Way to win their Conference Championship by 10 points were Royally screwed just like our Dawgs.

The Committee “ Claims” they wanted the four Best teams. OK based on that logic go back and Look at the Dawgs margin of victory in games vs Bama, be sure to take a special look at Common Opponents.

As for the so called “weak schedule” Dawgs played several Ranked teams all the way back to KY. It should be no concern of the Dawgs or The Committee what happened with those teams After the Dawgs played them, what Should have mattered was they Were Ranked when the Dawgs played them.

CFB is Very Clearly what I and Many others suspected it was transforming into, all about the $$$$. And Nothing to do with how well you play but Who you are. Which accounts for King Saban vaulting all the way from #8 to the playoffs. While the Dawgs who had pretty much Owned the #1 slot in the Playoffs, AP, and Coaches Poll all season drop from number one to number six from a 3 point loss to Bama. Uh Huh, Sure, Sure, Right.

I didn’t just fall off the turnip truck yesterday, I Know when cheating is going on. That’s Why Saban was Very Aggressively and Very Publicly lobbying for him and his Tide BEFORE they even played the Dawgs. Kirby lobbied After the Dawgs loss. And Kirby is Absolutely Right, a predominately healthy which by the Play Offs they would be, Dawgs would not only be in the top four, but be THE Best Team in the country.

Look at all the injured guys completely out and guys not completely healthy and Think what that look like if Most of them were back for the PlayOffs !! No Way MI, WA, FSU or TX would beat That Dawgs team. Again I’m NOT making excuses about injuries, I AM saying when injuries were Coupled With the obvious Unfair and Biased Officiating ( Not simply missed calls) it served to derail the Dawgs. Oh well done and done.

• Options

What’s the feel here Dawgs fans, are Y’all hoping Beck will Stay or Go ?? Speaking for myself I hope he stays. He’s a pretty good QB on the very cusp of being a great QB. And God Forbid he get seriously injured but I think Gunner would serve as a very capable backup that is If Gunner stays.

Also I want to throw this out there just for discussion, I don’t know if it’d be the Right way or not. But what about using Gunner more often not just in garbage time. Sort of like UF did with Tebow when he first got there. It’d make rival Ds have to prepare for Two QBs.

Some people talk about Yeah but that’d make a QB come in cold. True. But that would be offset Greatly if it Was Practiced allot during the week. If you practice Both QBs equally with the 1s during the week, coming into the game cold shouldn’t be That big of an issue. Lastly if nothing else it’d be interesting and exciting for Dawgs fans to watch !! Go Dawgs !!

• Options

Questions just to clarify. So if BVG goes to an SEC team he’s immediately eligible ?? If so is that because of the conference realignment with OK and TX joining ??

• Options

My Good Brother !!! You and some others here are always optimistic. Which is infectious in a Good way. And also helps heal wounds.I’d have loved to serve with you in the Navy !! I also love your sense of humor. In summary my Brother you are a DGD !! When I grow up I want to be like you !! 😂

If you would take a gander at my comments about the possibility of a Two QB system and give me your take. I’m Not saying it’s the Right way to go, but I Do say it deserves pondering on. God Bless You My Brother !! I wish You and your family a Very Merry Christmas !! P.S. I thought about calling my MaMa & Daddy God Rest Their Souls, on Christmas Eve one year ( like you I missed quite a few ) from a pay phone in Toulon, France. Not a bad place to be at all. But it wasn’t home. I loved the design of their pay phones back then. You probably remember them. Oh the Memories !!

• Options
    WCHWCH Posts: 479 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I don't blame him! Brock will be a superstar somewhere else.

• Options
    BigDawg61BigDawg61 Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

C'mon man...are you serious? I know you know better.

Beck is an absolute baller. It's his "first year", for God's sake. Lol. That kid will probably win a Heisman, among other awards, next year. Or, at least, be in-the-mix.

I love what UGA has, coming back and coming in, next year. They're gonna crush some people for the next 2 or 3 years...at a minimum.

My heart went out to those boys Saturday. You could see, several of em were givin' it everything they had left in the tank. They were hurting...to the point, Smart and Bobo were limited in what they could do, due to personnel groupings littered with inexperience and injury.

AND THEY STILL ALMOST WON! Helluva team.

• Options
    WoodstockDawgWoodstockDawg Posts: 251 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Best of luck BVG! Think this pretty much means Beck stays which is a great thing for the Dawgs! His continued growth will be huge for us next yr and should take him to a certain 1st rd pick if he remains injury free.