Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Smart’s Dawgs one of the few constants in a changing sport

SystemSystem Posts: 10,460 admin
edited February 18 in Article commenting
imageSmart’s Dawgs one of the few constants in a changing sport

Continual change is the new normal for college football, as is UGA’s elite status.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    bogarttadbogarttad Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Let's hope UGA defense is substantially better than the 2023 version. We definitely need to defend the edge better and get more consistent defensive line play in general. If we are only "about as good" as 2023, the 2024 schedule will be very brutal indeed.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

You get the feeling that CKS is at his desired destination at UGA. Hopefully, CFB does not continued to get FUBAR'd by people trying to turn it into the NFL. Everything about CFB is better than the NFL. Turning it into the NFL Jr is making CFB worse. We are already seeing CFB coaches bailing out on CFB as result of the lack of structure and a level playing field. Those are the things that could get CKS out of Athens.

I have said it before. The NCAA should sue the NFL and try and force the removal of age restrictions. If you want to go play in the NFL declare for the draft and take your chances. Right out of HS. IF you want to play AMATUER CFB you have to play by amateur rules. Unfortunately, that genie is already out of the bottle.

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Emerson's piece "Will it really be Georgia and everyone else? Absolutely not and reasonable fans don't believe that is the case. Yes, if you have to pick a team to bet the farm will finish #1, UGA would be a top choice. But there are plenty of great teams out there who will compete and can win it all.... as we saw this year. That idea is simply media banter IMO.

• Options
    Gibroni88Gibroni88 Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

This clip alone: “it will give ESPN control over nearly all Division I college sports championships” makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Nothing good has come out of allowing a small group of people, in this case executives, have that much control and power over something. There is a reason that there are Monopoly laws in this country.

Look at our history: AT&T, Standard Oil, Google, Microsoft, Paramount…the list goes on and on.

This is more than going to ruin traditions that most of us love, and not simply about being resistant to change; this is about allowing the power of the purse to blind us or distract us from seeing the forest for the trees.

It will be several years before the doubters of what I am theorizing will be no longer to distract or punch holes in my prognostication, but when the true colors begin to shine through and people realize what CFB has been turned into, it will be too late to do anything about it.

Greg Sankey could care less as long as he and his inner staff remain power players and the money keeps rolling in.

And if you disagree with me on that last statement, I feel sad for you.

Go Dawgs!

• Options
    CHDawg54CHDawg54 Posts: 334 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

As we saw last year a crooked CFP board kept UGA out of the playoffs. No other #1 team has dropped from #1 to out of the top five after loosing a conference championship by three points to another top ten team. And a game that was actually won by a cheating officiating crew.

This was to keep the Dawgs out of the playoffs so they couldn't win their third consecutive national championship and to give Saban and Alabama a chance to win Saban's eighth.

• Options
    DawgLegLeftDawgLegLeft Posts: 4 ✭ Freshman

All of the uncertainties of the future of College Football and the experts opinions on the monetary implications and yada yada yada . Gives me a headache wore than playing a schoolyard game of football without a helmet. I realize that the financial aspect of all negotiations is relevant to each school's cut and perceived welfare going forward. It seems the welfare of the fans is absent from the negotiations. They seem oblivious to the fact that the Goose that laid the Gooden Egg is the Fans. When Corporate control has priced out the average fan the Goose is cooked.

• Options
    MontanaDawgMontanaDawg Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Dawgs will certainly be challenged by Ohio State for the King of the Roost. Day is going to be fielding his best team - at least on paper - that the Buckeyes have ever seen. Will Howard is a very capable QB, but he is also going to be the wild card. Can he play elite in the B1G? The Buckeyes schedule is a lot easier than ours and pretty favorable for them to realistically go undefeated in the regular season. Michigan is going to drop off considerably, so there won't be a real challenger to the Buckeyes in the B1G except maybe Oregon. However, I have yet to see a Ducks team truly live up to their hype. But, if there is a head coach who can deliver the goods then Lanning might be the guy...finally.

Concerning all the background noise with NIL, portal, rules or no rules, etc...all I can say is the end product for 2024 is better matchups and better games for the fans. And that's me. So, I'm not going to complain about the chaos with college football as long as the product for the average fan is better. And it certainly should be.

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I agree with most of what you said. '23 was not a typical year. That is how UGA fell out of the top 4.

You had 5 Power 5 Conference winners. 3 undefeated conference champions. One 1 loss conference champion that just beat UGA and one 1 loss conference champion that beat the team that just beat UGA. Who are you leaving out?

It would've been really interesting if the AU punt returner had just fair caught the punt. Game over AL has 2 loses. But he didn't and the rest is history.

It is a crime that the 4th down AL "completion" was not reviewed. That smacks of favoritism by the SEC towards Saban. Either that or Sankey thought he could get 2 SEC teams in ($$$) with a close AL win in the SECCG. Not reviewing that questionable 4th down play is inexplicable.

• Options
    dazzledawgdazzledawg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree with UGAdad20. Eliminate the rule for HS players to wait 3 years and let them go directly to the NFL and wish them the best.

Then incentivize and prorate NIL where athletes are required (barring serious injury) to play all of the games scheduled including bowl games to be able to collect on the majority of their NIL compensation when their playing career is over at whatever school they choose to attend.

And, of course they are issued a 1099 or W-2 just like the rest of the us that are required to pay taxes.