Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

College Football Playoff frees up another at-large spot, shifts to ‘5-7′ format

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited February 20 in Article commenting
imageCollege Football Playoff frees up another at-large spot, shifts to ‘5-7′ format

The 12-team College Football Playoff has yet to officially get underway, but already, there’s a key tweak.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kylnmeg10kylnmeg10 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Kemp as a background?🤔

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior
  • Options
    JimWallaceJimWallace Posts: 5,747 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I read the article twice and still have no idea what the difference is between a "6-6" format and a "5-7" format for the playoffs.

Has my reading comprehension disappeared?

Go, Dawgs!

• Options
    GBALGBAL Posts: 745 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

"I read the article twice and still have no idea what the difference is between a "6-6" format and a "5-7" format for the playoffs"

OLD 6 conference champs + 6 other highest ranked teams = 12 playoff teams.

NEW (due to one conference disolving itself) 5 conference champions + 7 other highest ranked teams = 12 playoff teams

• Options
    UGADad20UGADad20 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

There were only 5 major conferences before (P5). Now one (PAC12) loses its automatic bid leaving 4. SEC, ACC, BIG10, BIG12. Whoever gets that 5 automatic bid doesn't deserve it. Should've always been 5-7 (now 4-8).

• Options
    UGA66UGA66 Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

"A “5-7″ format will be applied in selecting the 12 teams, essentially adding another at-large team to the mix." That is all this is. I guess they added one more loss. Just opens it up more...gives the lacklusters one more shot.

• Options
    87dawg87dawg Posts: 371 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

California schools in the ACC. Just change their name to the Coastal Conference.

• Options
    randomsportsfanrandomsportsfan Posts: 22 ✭ Freshman

@UGADad20

The reason why they can't go 4-8 is because the mid-majors threatened antitrust lawsuits in the BCS era. It's a long story, but a lot of major college fans have forgotten how loaded, say, Utah in 2004 (head coach Urban Meyer) and TCU in 2010 were. No, they weren't going to win a national title, but neither was Michigan State in 2015, Washington in 2016, Notre Dame in 2013/2019/2021, and that doesn't even begin to talk about the nonsense that they inflicted on us with Oklahoma.

Of course since those days the better mid-major teams are all in conferences. But it is still easier to hand this group the #12 seed every year than bother with the risk. Before anyone objects, they should remember exactly what haggling over how the REAL twelfth best team got robbed or something consists of. And that Utah finished #12 in 2021 with four losses. College football emulating college basketball where making the playoff becomes the goal itself is exactly what we don't want.

• Options

Until I see an actual 12 team field selected and seeded I am not sure how this will play out.

It sounds like w/5-7 SOMEBODY (? - AAC, Sunbelt, Mt West conference champ) gets an automatic bid into the 12 team field. AND possibly a 5th seed (or better) guaranteed? IDK. Or do 5-12 (everybody?) all get reranked after the conference championship games?

There are a ton of questions. Being seeded 4-8 gets you a home game. Being seeded 1-4 doesn't get you a home game. Where does that home game revenue go?

All this may be temporary if the rumors of the SEC and BIG10 merging are true. CFB is FUBAR'd. You'll have early signing day and the TP open during the playoffs. Big changes have to come.

• Options
    ftworthdawgftworthdawg Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

So it'll take 17 games to win, if you make the conf title game. That's a lot of games.

• Options
    robinsdawgrobinsdawg Posts: 106 ✭✭✭ Junior
    edited February 21

I don't mind the 5-7, cut i'd like there to be some sort of exception that the highest ranked Grp5 to make the cut, must meet another minimum criteria such as ranked in the top 12 to 15 or so. If the Grp5 school is undefeated or one loss, great, give them their shot. But what if the highest ranked school has underperformed and is ranked 20 or so. Still deserve a shot???

• Options

You are right. 17 is a lot of games to expect 18-21 year old young men to get through. These longer seasons may be decided by attrition. Certainly suggests that brutal practices should be dialed down if you want guys to make it through the season.