Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Why NFL mock drafts have a tough time placing Brock Bowers, even as he’s ‘a Pro Bowl player’

SystemSystem Posts: 10,461 admin
edited February 20 in Article commenting
imageWhy NFL mock drafts have a tough time placing Brock Bowers, even as he’s ‘a Pro Bowl player’

ATHENS — Just about every draft analyst sees Brock Bowers as one of the top prospects in this year’s NFL draft. He can do it all, just as he so frequently did during his time at Georgia.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    randomsportsfanrandomsportsfan Posts: 22 ✭ Freshman

First off, there have only been 3 TEs taken in the top 15 in the past 11 drafts. Two more points.

1. Bowers is listed at 6'4" 240 lbs, already undersized for an NFL TE and some NFL scouts think he is even shorter and smaller.
    2. Darnell Washington was the blocking TE in 2022 and that UGA's edge blocking wasn't as good in 2023 without him hasn't gone unnoticed.

Combine those two and Bowers is considered a "receiving TE" as opposed to a "well-rounded TE." More Shannon Sharpe (6'2" 228 lbs) than Travis Kelce (6'5" 250 lbs), Rob Gronkowski (6'6" 265 lbs) or Tony Gonzalez (6'5", 250 lbs ). The 3 TEs referenced above - Eric Ebron, Kyle Pitts, TJ Hockenson - had the prototypical NFL builds like Kelce and Gonzalez. Meanwhile Bowers isn't much bigger than not a few WRs (Mike Evans of Tampa Bay and Allan Lazard of the Jets are 6'5" 230 lbs) and if he is the size that some NFL types suspect him to be, even more so.

Me personally, I believe that a team will get further with Bowers at TE and an average player at WR than they would with any WR in this draft but Marvin Harrison and Malik Nabers and an average player at TE, even if you are giving up an edge-setter on running plays.

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 931 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gee random, you have missed one important fact.....a fact that renders your statistical diatribe meaningless....John Mackey...you know, the guy the award is named for, the award that Brock Bowers won twice, was only 6' 2" and 224 lbs.....my friend, it's not all about your physical attributes but a combination of physical and mental attributes....the commitment to work to better your skill set, the commitment to be a TEAM player, the commitment to overcome any obstacle to win every snap, every possession, every quarter and every game....that my friend is the difference between BB and the aforementioned TE's and why he will be a first rounder and surpass every other TE to date....and this is the realization of most NFL analyst.......I'm thinking you might want to watch BB play???