Home Article commenting
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

How Gunner Stockton almost made Malaki Starks quit football

SystemSystem Posts: 10,481 admin
edited March 22 in Article commenting
imageHow Gunner Stockton almost made Malaki Starks quit football

ATHENS — Gunner Stockton nearly derailed Malaki Starks football career before the Georgia All-American bloomed into a 5-star prospect.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    BrooksieBrooksie Posts: 481 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Love to hear the story of how a tough young safety became a D1 QB

• Options
    GtheGreekGtheGreek Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Initially, I'm thinking Pugs will come in and quickly over take Gunner.....I could not have been more wrong....Gunner is a gamer and despite Pug's over the top athleticism and competitive nature, he's in for a battle......and as they say, "steal sharpens steal", and I'm glad they both wear the G!

• Options
    jdatl3jdatl3 Posts: 397 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Fun story. I bet the tables are turned now. Gunner may not want Starks to stick him.

• Options
    randomsportsfanrandomsportsfan Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman
    edited March 22

At the high school level, ESPECIALLY smaller schools like Rabun's Class A, the best athletes play both offense and defense. It is a major reason why option and spread offenses are popular with the smaller high schools because it allows your starting QB to also be a defensive back or pass rusher. When college teams played more pro-style and I-formation football kids had to either switch positions in college, head to the option programs in the Big 8 and SWC or play at a smaller school. Thanks to the spread, as well as a lot of pro style offenses adopting spread principles, a lot more of these kids are now playing QB, both in college and in the NFL. So as recently as 10-15 years ago, when Mark Richt tried to sell Cam Newton on playing DE or TE, made no serious attempt to recruit Deshaun Watson until Watson's senior year and honestly didn't recruit Josh Dobbs at all, it is fair to say that if Gunner Stockton had gotten an SEC scholarship it would have been to play DB or WR at Kentucky or Ole Miss. Or maybe QB at Mississippi State for Dan Mullen's spread option offense.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Gunner is built like a tank. Old school guys will remember Billy Kilmer. 6'ft. 210 (probably more like 220 by the end of his playing days) . Looked more like a full back than a QB.

• Options
    reddawg1reddawg1 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

JUst for fun London was on the Player's Lounge podcast and he looks and talks like Ashton Kuchar, especially his speech!