ATHENS — Georgia finally found itself facing an opponent that was willing to punch back.
Read the full story here
A pretty solid performance, with a few miscues, by the Dawgs. Gunner was the standout and looked about as good as he ever has going into a tough contest in Tuscaloosa. Our pass rush is kind of stuck again in the middle of the pack of the SEC and definitely not the havoc we had been used to in prior seasons. Dawgs have (11) sacks tgrough 5 games. Bama has (16) with (5) coming yesterday against those other Bulldogs. Our secondary has to clean up their communication and not use flagrant pass interference as the best way to cover receivers!
(10) different players caught passes yesterday from the RBs to the TEs. Great to see the dispersion of targets causing the defense to have to cover from sideline to sideline. Between Taylor, Dandridge, Humphries, Roldan, and White-Helton we should have plenty of guys to target next week. If we need bigger bodies, just throw in any one of our big TEs in there and we're fine. Hopefully, Canion will be back soon and Blackshear by the end of the month.
I dont think Curtiss could have played better than the QB they used. He was elusive, and if not for that, there would have been 2 or three more sacks.
How sad is it that Lawson Luckie, a senior and possibly our best receiving tight end, caught one pass that wasn’t even intended for him just because it bounced off the intended receiver? He wasn’t targeted a single time in yet another game. Why is that?
And I’m struggling to understand the second week our special teams rates a “B” grade. No missed kicks, no big returns, no bad punts and throw in a blocked field goal. I’m starting to think you just hate special teams.
Taylor should have had one if not both . What a well thrown ball from Gunner . But we saw that last year against the next opponent .
Taylor needs to stop trying to hold off the defender with one hand and catch the ball with the other. He did it multiple times and it only worked once this season (last week). Use both of your hands!
I’d have to greatly disagree on that D line grade. Vandy ran the ball very well against Georgia and we had way too many missed tackles. lack of focus.
C-
obviously I’ll take the win but I feel this is just the kinda game Georgia needed before bama, a mini wake up call.
Go dawgs!
Special teams B+?
I must have missed the breakdowns that didn’t warrant at least an A effort if not A+. Do tell Mr Riley
Exactly !! And well said !! “ A mini wake-up call”. Came at a perfect time. I can’t predict that our Dawgs will win vs. Bama, you can’t, no one can. But I think it’s a big mistake for Some dawgs fans to chalk an automatic loss to Bama to.
We all saw the mistakes. Well be assured that Kirby and the coaching staff saw them to. Just like many Dawgs fans I to have a tendency to Try to predict an upcoming game based on how well or how bad the upcoming rival has played other teams. That can be a risky way of making predictions.
Look at UF vs Mizzou. Who would have thunk that Mizzou would totally crush UF based on previous wins by the mud lizards ? Who’d have thunk Vandy would play our Dawgs as tough as they did ?
So was Bama so great vs. Miss St. or were the brown bulldogs really just a paper tiger ? So my advice is don’t worry yourself sick !! Let’s watch and enjoy the game and see how it pans out !! Even if the worse case scenario happens and our Dawgs lose if they come out without any significant injuries even with a loss the season is far from over and playoff dreams would still be very much alive. I’m Believing in our Dawgs that they Can and Will win this game !! Go Dawgs !!
Mostly agree with Connor’s grades. However, trying to figure out what special teams need to do to get an A. All placekicks were good, including the one FG. One punt downed at the 5. No returns by Vandy. We blocked a FG attempt. What more could the boys do?
Connor must not like special teams for some reason.
I should have added that there’s no way the D line gets a grade as high as special teams. Vandy ran fairly effectively. We did pressure QB pretty well, but a B+ is too high imo. I give them a C+.
Exactly right. Taylor trying to make a showboat catch cost GS a catch on a well thrown ball. Use 2 hands to catch the ball. I bet TT hears about it when they review the film. TT needs to play with more physicality.
"This may have been Gunner Stockton's best game as a passer". I agree. I thought that watching the game before CR wrote it here. 2 beautiful long passes. It took 28 games playing QB for UGA to see it but we saw it. Granted it was against an unranked Vandy team but I hope this gives GS, CKS and CMB the confidence to open up the offense. Still the majority of passes yesterday were behind the LoS or within 3-5 yards of the LoS. GS's stat's were padded by a 43 yard accidental reception by Luckie.
Next week's opponent is not Vandy playing their back up QB. I saw a ranking on SDS today that has AL ranked #1. The UGA that played the 1st half and led Vandy by 1 score will not fare well next week. I have to think that Schumann was playing basic defenses and saving something for next week.
That being said the DB's grading out at C+ is concerning. DB's are the worst coached position group on the team. Good thing Williams and Robinson are good recruiters. Is KJ pulling a Malaki Starks in his last year at UGA? Dialing it down so as not to get hurt before the draft? He was out of position frequently yesterday. BTW AL's WR's looked a little scary yesterday.
How about Dwight Phillips? Imagine if UGA had him and those skills on the team last year for 3rd down? Probably would have made a difference in games UGA lost.
If the Dawgs defense plays the way they did in the first half against Bama, it will be just as bad if not worse than the last time they played in Tuscaloosa. There were multiple blown coverages, easy runs up the middle, and too much time for Berlowitz in general. I always say CKS navigates the regular season as well as or better than any other head coach in terms of saving the inspiration for the bigger games. Let's face it. This means there are some games that the Dawgs will lack the focus and intensity we hope to see every game. I think we'll see the hyper-focused, intense version of the Dawgs next Saturday. Go Dawgs!
Ditto regarding TE utilization.
Totally disagree with the statement…"the Bulldogs are suddenly thin in terms of having big-bodied outside wide receivers…"
No, we’ve got a stable of them, they’re just listed on the roster as Tight Ends!!!
I'm thinking the only way for special teams to get an A grade, is by NOT punting or having any fg attempts. By Connors thought process. 😂
Uhuh ran the ball effectively?
RBs 47 yds on 18 carries. 2.7 yds per carry. Qb accounted forv37 on 8 carries. Even with that...they avg 3.7 per carry.
Wanna try agsin
He wasn't shownoating....geez. asinine comment