Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

10 team playoff

pastordawgpastordawg Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

Hearing so much about playoff and so glad we are in it . But what do you think of this? A ten team playoff, take the five power conferences championship games as the first round, then you are left with 5 champions, the highest ranked gets a bye, then 2 vs 5, and 3 vs 4. This would leave out Alabama this year but they didn’t win there division. Also ND would then have to either join a conference or never make playoffs. This makes winning your conference mean something, and everyone would know what it takes to make the playoff. It also would eliminate National champions that did not even win their on conference. Go Dawgs

Comments

• tymoon31tymoon31 Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Why not just make it 120....

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,649 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

10 is too many. You will end up with some 3-loss teams in there. I think 6 is the magic number. 1 and 2 get a first week buy, 3 plays 6 and 4 plays 5. So you get a quarter finals, a semi-finals and a finals. I think with 6 you get all the serious contenders. More than that and you are watering down the regular season.

• ghostofuga1ghostofuga1 Posts: 9,032 mod

My theory has always been divide the FBS into 4 quadrants or regions. Northwest, Southwest, Northeast and the Southeast. Each region has 2 conferences. The conferences could also include subdivisions.

Anyhow., Each conference winner plays for the Region Championship, thus allowing for a four game playoff. Eliminates all the whining about same conference or regions having 2 teams in the playoffs. Of course all "Independents" will have to join a conference.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Honestly, I have been pleased with 4 from the beginning.

• MIghtydawgMIghtydawg Posts: 984 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pastordawg said:
    Hearing so much about playoff and so glad we are in it . But what do you think of this? A ten team playoff, take the five power conferences championship games as the first round, then you are left with 5 champions, the highest ranked gets a bye, then 2 vs 5, and 3 vs 4. This would leave out Alabama this year but they didn’t win there division. Also ND would then have to either join a conference or never make playoffs. This makes winning your conference mean something, and everyone would know what it takes to make the playoff. It also would eliminate National champions that did not even win their on conference. Go Dawgs

The numbers that you mention do not work. If you have 5 teams, 1, 2 and 3 would have to get byes and 4 and 5 would have a play in game.

• pastordawgpastordawg Posts: 45 ✭✭ Sophomore

it does work, #1 gets bye, 2 vs 5, 3 vs 4, next round #1 vs lowest seed of winners, then next 2, winners of this round play for national championship. I don’t really care what they come up with or if they stay as is. But as long as people are deciding who gets in someone’s gonna complain. Glad we are in this year tho. Go Dawgs

@pastordawg said:
    it does work, #1 gets bye, 2 vs 5, 3 vs 4, next round #1 vs lowest seed of winners, then next 2, winners of this round play for national championship. I don’t really care what they come up with or if they stay as is. But as long as people are deciding who gets in someone’s gonna complain. Glad we are in this year tho. Go Dawgs

Let's play it out. Week 1--One gets a bye and is on to week 2; 2 v. 5--lets say 2 wins and is on to week 2; 3 v. 4--lets say 3 wins and is on to week 2. Now you have 1, 2 and 3 left for week 2. Please explain how that works. 1 plays 3, what about 2? 2 plays 3, 1 gets a bye all the way to the championship? 1 plays 2, 3 gets a bye to the championship?

You are right sir, > @MIghtydawg said:

@pastordawg said:

Let's play it out. Week 1--One gets a bye and is on to week 2; 2 v. 5--lets say 2 wins and is on to week 2; 3 v. 4--lets say 3 wins and is on to week 2. Now you have 1, 2 and 3 left for week 2. Please explain how that works. 1 plays 3, what about 2? 2 plays 3, 1 gets a bye all the way to the championship? 1 plays 2, 3 gets a bye to the championship?

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@pastordawg said:

It doesn't make sense to give the #1 team a bye in the post champ round and then give the #2 a bye in the semi-final?

It worked in my head , mighty dawg was right it doesn’t work sorry for the post

• spradlin24spradlin24 Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

If they are expanded which I do not see happening they should just copy the D2 format that has worked for many years. There is way too much money in all the playoff shows for anything to be changed for the better.

Shorten the season to 10 games and have top 16 in for the title hunt. Winner would play no more than 14 games and they play 15 now to win it all.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think 4 is where it needs to stay. There’s always going to be an argument over the last spot. When it was only two teams the #3 team always thought they should be in. This year with 4 teams the #5 team thinks they should be in. This argument will always exist no matter how many teams it expands to.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JRT812 said:
    Honestly, I have been pleased with 4 from the beginning.

Finally, someone who feels as I do. I just believe if it goes to more than 4, you take away from “every game counts” and that diminishes the regular season a lot. Also, “other” bowl games will be even less relevant than they are currently.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    I think 4 is where it needs to stay. There’s always going to be an argument over the last spot. When it was only two teams the #3 team always thought they should be in. This year with 4 teams the #5 team thinks they should be in. This argument will always exist no matter how many teams it expands to.

Agreed. I meant to tag you in the post above sir.

• hashmarkhashmark Posts: 76 ✭✭ Sophomore

They won't do anything for a while i say when they do it will be 8 teams

• DaWGfan01DaWGfan01 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I'm okay with four, but I would also be fine with eight.

5 power five champs, 3 at Large, cut season to eleven games, with championship games being a twelfth game, eventual finalists would play fifteen games, same as now.

I know the ninth, tenth teams would feel they should have made it, but eight is the most it should every be, imo

They are not getting rid of the 12th game. Schools make too much money off of it.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@tiger_62082 said:

@spradlin24 said:
    If they are expanded which I do not see happening they should just copy the D2 format that has worked for many years. There is way too much money in all the playoff shows for anything to be changed for the better.

Shorten the season to 10 games and have top 16 in for the title hunt. Winner would play no more than 14 games and they play 15 now to win it all.

This! How come Division 1 Football is the only level of college athletics without a true playoff?

Well, I dooo declayuh. UGA is in a true playoff

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Might eventually have to expand to a 6 or 8 team playoff down the road since there were a lot of 1 loss teams in the top 10 this year, but I wouldn't go over that #.