Next Coach to Commit to the G

CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

We have two spots open, who do you think, hear or want (realistically) in the mix ?

OLB / Rush Ends Coach - I’ve seen the rumbling of Brick Haley, and I like the idea. Long time LSU guy, who had a lot of talent go pro through him.

2nd Coach - ???

«1

Comments

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    Agree with Brick Haley.

    And since I haven't seen anything otherwise (meaning him moving to another gig), I think Jay Johnson is going to be QB coach

  • chattdawgchattdawg Posts: 256 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @ghostofuga1 said:
    Assistant to coach Kirby Smart.

    Retired as "Greatest College Football Coach The World Has Ever Seen" per Bama fans

    Coaching Duties:

    • Handle PR and press conferences.
    • Understudy protege
    • Overstudy protege
    • Claim "rat poison" as a defense
    • Bring coffee to your boss.........

    Don’t forget the Coke and Oatmeal Cream Pies too!

  • BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 463 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @chattdawg said:

    @ghostofuga1 said:
    Assistant to coach Kirby Smart.

    Retired as "Greatest College Football Coach The World Has Ever Seen" per Bama fans

    Coaching Duties:

    • Handle PR and press conferences.
    • Understudy protege
    • Overstudy protege
    • Claim "rat poison" as a defense
    • Bring coffee to your boss.........

    Don’t forget the Coke and Oatmeal Cream Pies too!

    Bring Him Home Coach Kirby!

  • orlandoorlando Posts: 230 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Charles Kelly let go by FSU. Any thoughts on him coming to UGA ?

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @orlando said:
    Charles Kelly let go by FSU. Any thoughts on him coming to UGA ?

    Hope not. If Jimbo stayed he was probably getting fired anyway

  • orlandoorlando Posts: 230 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Says he has a job lined up, probably back at Tech.

  • Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    I think Trezman might commit before Owen P.

  • ddodsonddodson Posts: 25 ✭ Freshman

    According to FootballScoop.com, the new hire will be Memphis assistant Dan Lanning. I do not know much about him. Any thoughts?

  • donmdonm Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @ddodson said:
    According to FootballScoop.com, the new hire will be Memphis assistant Dan Lanning. I do not know much about him. Any thoughts?

    I think he is young and energetic.

  • KaseyKasey Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited January 2

    @ddodson said:
    According to FootballScoop.com, the new hire will be Memphis assistant Dan Lanning. I do not know much about him. Any thoughts?

    according to dawgnation he was on the 2015 Bama staff as a grad assistant. Was the recruiting coordinator and LB coach at Memphis. So if you wanna work on this staff you better be a black belt recruiter (h/t @JeffSentell )

  • icebuddyicebuddy Posts: 262 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Was a grad asst at Bama in 2015

  • bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 356 ✭✭✭ Junior
  • DawgsofWarDawgsofWar Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Jinx55 said:

    I think Trezman might commit before Owen P.

    Correct. Owen P. is going to take 3 more OVs and will commit late 2018, but he will be an EE wherever he goes. Clemson and Georgia are his top 2 and Alabama and Auburn are in the mix with TN looking in from the outside.

  • Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @DawgsofWar said:

    @Jinx55 said:

    I think Trezman might commit before Owen P.

    Correct. Owen P. is going to take 3 more OVs and will commit late 2018, but he will be an EE wherever he goes. Clemson and Georgia are his top 2 and Alabama and Auburn are in the mix with TN looking in from the outside.

    The Pappoe back and forth is interesting. I think he has used the coaching changes in Nebraska to give him an opportunity to slow things down. I also think the changes in the ESD and the ability for teams to host guys during the Spring will have a lot of kids committing following Spring ball I think. I would guess that is win Pappoe Commits, prior to the end of the school year.

  • bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 356 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Too early to speculate on recruits, remember this past off season where the sky was falling? How'd that turn out?

  • Jinx55Jinx55 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @bigdawg2223 said:
    Too early to speculate on recruits, remember this past off season where the sky was falling? How'd that turn out?

    Definitely not thinking the sky is falling. Just seeing we have a new problem at UGA.... who do we not take because we are getting EVERYBODY!!!! lol

  • bigdawg2223bigdawg2223 Posts: 356 ✭✭✭ Junior

    @Jinx55 said:

    @bigdawg2223 said:
    Too early to speculate on recruits, remember this past off season where the sky was falling? How'd that turn out?

    Definitely not thinking the sky is falling. Just seeing we have a new problem at UGA.... who do we not take because we are getting EVERYBODY!!!! lol

    I know I get that but it's waaaayyyy too early to speculate.

  • donmdonm Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Jinx55 said:

    @bigdawg2223 said:
    Too early to speculate on recruits, remember this past off season where the sky was falling? How'd that turn out?

    Definitely not thinking the sky is falling. Just seeing we have a new problem at UGA.... who do we not take because we are getting EVERYBODY!!!! lol

    I don't see the problem. We take who we think are the best players and don't take the others. Where is the problem?

  • ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    So we hire Lannings and need another coach (only spots I really see are secondary). Who wik become our second special asst

  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Thelordjohnson said:
    So we hire Lannings and need another coach (only spots I really see are secondary). Who wik become our second special asst

    Kirby and Mel are both secondary guys, so they could look to fill the 10th assistant coach at another position. Although they already have 5 offensive coaches and 4 defensive coaches, they could look to even that out (but Kirby is basically the 5th defensive coach). Guessing it’s not a special teams coach since they let Scott Fountain leave for Miss St. I think secondary, QB coach, or even special teams would be good hires.

  • ThelordjohnsonThelordjohnson Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @Teddy said:

    @Thelordjohnson said:
    So we hire Lannings and need another coach (only spots I really see are secondary). Who wik become our second special asst

    Kirby and Mel are both secondary guys, so they could look to fill the 10th assistant coach at another position. Although they already have 5 offensive coaches and 4 defensive coaches, they could look to even that out (but Kirby is basically the 5th defensive coach). Guessing it’s not a special teams coach since they let Scott Fountain leave for Miss St. I think secondary, QB coach, or even special teams would be good hires.

    I think we'll get another special assistant for ST, Chaney is our QB Coach like Tucker is the DB coach. Moving Jay Johnson up could be something also.

  • TeddyTeddy Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    @Thelordjohnson said:

    @Teddy said:

    @Thelordjohnson said:
    So we hire Lannings and need another coach (only spots I really see are secondary). Who wik become our second special asst

    Kirby and Mel are both secondary guys, so they could look to fill the 10th assistant coach at another position. Although they already have 5 offensive coaches and 4 defensive coaches, they could look to even that out (but Kirby is basically the 5th defensive coach). Guessing it’s not a special teams coach since they let Scott Fountain leave for Miss St. I think secondary, QB coach, or even special teams would be good hires.

    I think we'll get another special assistant for ST, Chaney is our QB Coach like Tucker is the DB coach. Moving Jay Johnson up could be something also.

    I agree, just like the idea of someone working exclusively with these 5 star QBs, who doesn’t have to orchestrate the whole offense and QB room. I’m good with any of the three areas I listed though.

  • donmdonm Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

    I don't think that will happen. Does any team have a full-time coaching spot dedicated to place kickers? I agree with how much he's helped our placekickers. Just don't see it happening.

  • dawgwood82dawgwood82 Posts: 120 ✭✭✭ Junior

    Yeah, I'm not saying take the new on field position coach spot....im saying fountains spot. He's working this year as an assistant because he had a year of eligibility left. If I'm Kirby i retain him in whatever spot I can and give him a personal loan of a few hundred k lol

  • oldon42oldon42 Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

    @donm said:
    I don't think that will happen. Does any team have a full-time coaching spot dedicated to place kickers? I agree with how much he's helped our placekickers. Just don't see it happening.

    I tend to agree but them I think Kevin Butler, Georgia grad, College Football Hall of Fame, 13 year NFL career, Super Bowl ring. I bet he learned something in that career.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.