Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Jim Chaney Did What?

Hebrew735Hebrew735 Posts: 20 ✭✭ Sophomore

Sorry, but I must say it; Jim Chaney called a hell of a game in both the SEC Championship and the Rose Bowl. He kept the team in the game in the first half while the defense was trying to figure Oklahoma out, and allowed the team to basically blow the Sooners back home in the second half, and in the 2 OT's with the runs and timely passes. As quick as everyone was ready to fire him after one year, his offense is now one game away from a National Championship. What say you?

Tagged:

Comments

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Our offense is elite. We just out-scored the #1 offense in the nation. That says something. It is not one dimensional either. We are a run-heavy offense, but Fromm and the WRs are as good as any out there. My only criticism would be I'd like to see the TEs used more, but who am I to question 13-1? I hope we can hang on to Chaney. Recruits seem to like what he's doing as well. How in the world did we just land three 5-star QBs in a row with a run-heavy offense? Chaney is pure gold.

• HotDiggetyDawgHotDiggetyDawg Posts: 109 ✭✭✭ Junior

I say he blew it out his a%# with play calls in the first Auburn game. That won't ever change. What did change, thankfully, is his willingness and ability to make adjustments so that, when necessary, Fromm can get the ball away quickly should the pocket collapse almost immediately. I think he will have a few special plays drawn up for Swift this game to displace some of the workload the main characters will get. Hopefully he will also make sure Nauta is involved where needed. We have so many playmakers and a QB with the ability to get it to any of them at any time. No reason not to spread the wealth on the O side. I think he learned his lesson and, thankfully, he didn't have to learn it in the SEC champ game where we couldn't recover to be in contention for a NC. Couldn't be happier for him at this point.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@HotDiggetyDawg said:
    I say he blew it out his a%# with play calls in the first Auburn game. That won't ever change. What did change, thankfully, is his willingness and ability to make adjustments so that, when necessary, Fromm can get the ball away quickly should the pocket collapse almost immediately. I think he will have a few special plays drawn up for Swift this game to displace some of the workload the main characters will get. Hopefully he will also make sure Nauta is involved where needed. We have so many playmakers and a QB with the ability to get it to any of them at any time. No reason not to spread the wealth on the O side. I think he learned his lesson and, thankfully, he didn't have to learn it in the SEC champ game where we couldn't recover to be in contention for a NC. Couldn't be happier for him at this point.

My dispute is to blame Chaney for the AU game. To me ST was a complete meltdown and lack of discipline a close 2nd. The offensive woes were a matter of execution not play-calling. If you really look at his history he has left every place better than when he arrived. Matt Canada took the credit at Pitt after he left but the offense was built by him and MC backed into a returning RB that Chaney didn't have the year prior.

I totally agree that it was not all on him with the Auburn game. I just saw way too many opportunities where a quick slant or screen could have helped Fromm not have to stare at defenders down the end of the barrel. Lot more of those plays in the SEC champ game and it was nice to see that change. Too much incredible talent we had unused at the end of that first game IMO. But either way, I love the changes I've seen since then and couldn't ask for more from him to put our offensive in positions to win.

@pgjackson said:
    My only criticism would be I'd like to see the TEs used more, but who am I to question 13-1? I hope we can hang on to Chaney. Recruits seem to like what he's doing as well. How in the world did we just land three 5-star QBs in a row with a run-heavy offense? Chaney is pure gold.

Couldn't agree more with this. I did like the throw to Nauta in the RB that was a just a bit off from Fromm. But I loved seeing him get into the act. He may not be Mark Andrews, but he's definitely capable of exploiting any D.

• AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT! Not satisfied with status quo. That’s what separates one year wonders from dynasties. We will be a better team next year.

But right now, “just one more time” as Erk Russell used to say at Georgia Southern. GO DAWGS!

• CaliforniaDawgCaliforniaDawg Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

And you are saying this like it is some sort of new revelation? No OC looks good when the offensive line isn't winning the battles in the trenches. Jim Chaney is a good OC. We are lucky to have him. There is great chemistry between him and Sam Pittman and Smart (and Fromm). We are darn lucky and I don't understand why Dawg fans keep doubting him or act surprised when he does well. The data and the facts have made this obvious awhile ago, but at least you guys are seeing it now - better late than never.

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@CaliforniaDawg said:
    And you are saying this like it is some sort of new revelation? No OC looks good when the offensive line isn't winning the battles in the trenches. Jim Chaney is a good OC. We are lucky to have him. There is great chemistry between him and Sam Pittman and Smart (and Fromm). We are darn lucky and I don't understand why Dawg fans keep doubting him or act surprised when he does well. The data and the facts have made this obvious awhile ago, but at least you guys are seeing it now - better late than never.

This. ^^^

It was all about the o-line. Last year's wasn't good. You had 3 seniors that were more like bullfighters with their 'ole blocks. This year's o-line had been tons better. And so has the offense.