Lead official in National Championship game

georgiajeepngeorgiajeepn Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

Please forgive me if someone has already linked to this article in this forum but if they have not I wanted to bring it to Dawg fans attention. I know it happened way back in 2002 but it gives a little insight into how even Big 10 conference officials viewed the white hat in Monday's game. https://www.purdueexponent.org/sports/article_f22a455e-1bc6-504f-957d-876628375294.html

Comments

• BoroDawgBoroDawg Posts: 497 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@georgiajeepn said:
    Please forgive me if someone has already linked to this article in this forum but if they have not I wanted to bring it to Dawg fans attention. I know it happened way back in 2002 but it gives a little insight into how even Big 10 conference officials viewed the white hat in Monday's game. https://www.purdueexponent.org/sports/article_f22a455e-1bc6-504f-957d-876628375294.html

He was also involced in the Michigan Ohio State debacle last year. Seems to be corrupt or incompetent. Either way, he shouldn't be calling a National Championship.

• georgiajeepngeorgiajeepn Posts: 16 ✭✭ Sophomore

@BoroDawg said:

He was also involced in the Michigan Ohio State debacle last year. Seems to be corrupt or incompetent. Either way, he shouldn't be calling a National Championship.

Yes there are some old articles about Harbaugh pitching a fit because of him and getting fined $10,000. Heck maybe he earned his way back to the top of the mountain but that was not the impression of everyone in the nation Monday night but Tide fans.

• dradcliffdradcliff Posts: 189 ✭✭✭ Junior

The only call directly misses by the white hat was push to Fromm' s head.

@dradcliff said:

How about the facemask call on Swift? I believe that was
    right where the white hat should have seen it also.

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@dradcliff said:

For real?

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 251 ✭✭✭ Junior

@dradcliff said:

Sorry dude, you're wrong. That head idiot was ultimately responsible for all of the other incompetent idiot's bad calls/no calls.

@georgiajeepn said:

@dradcliff said:

How about the facemask call on Swift? I believe that was
    right where the white hat should have seen it also.

He would have been behind that play. It should have been the line judge on that side.
    He also missed the offside on the punt, the false start on the 4th down td, the push to Fromm's head, the pass interference on Parrish was on that side also.

@PlayHurt said:

@dradcliff said:

Sorry dude, you're wrong. That head idiot was ultimately responsible for all of the other incompetent idiot's bad calls/no calls.

He cant make them throw flags, or pick up every flag thrown and wave them off. It was not his crew. It would have been his responsibility if he had trained them all year, but he didn't.

• PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 251 ✭✭✭ Junior

He cant make them throw flags, or pick up every flag thrown and wave them off. It was not his crew. It would have been his responsibility if he had trained them all year, but he didn't.

Well "no duh". But it is his job to make sure if a conference is needed to discuss/decide whether a call is justified or not. Yes, his responsibility. And is absolutely was "his crew" on that night and that game.

You're fighting a losing battle.

• sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@georgiajeepn said:

FYI, the head referee (Dan Capron) was not fired by the Big Ten after the 2002 game. If you read the following story from 2016, you have to look further own, then it clears that up.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-big-ten-officiating-michigan-ohio-state-greenstein-spt-1225-20161222-column.html

@sethemerson said:

@georgiajeepn said:

FYI, the head referee (Dan Capron) was not fired by the Big Ten after the 2002 game. If you read the following story from 2016, you have to look further own, then it clears that up.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/columnists/ct-big-ten-officiating-michigan-ohio-state-greenstein-spt-1225-20161222-column.html

Well duh of course we all have figured out he was not fired because he indeed did officiate other Big 10 games later and the game Monday night. From the jest of the story from both articles I determined that he was fired but then allowed to come back later and reclaim his job. Is that what you carried away from reading both articles Seth or are you saying the suspension/firing never happened?

• BamaDawgBamaDawg Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

As a High School official (I know it isn't college), the white hat is solely responsible for the QB (even after the hands it off). The facemask should have have been the other back official. Either the Head Linesman or the Line Judge could have possibly gotten it also.

• sethemersonsethemerson Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@georgiajeepn said:

@sethemerson said:

@georgiajeepn said:

Well duh of course we all have figured out he was not fired because he indeed did officiate other Big 10 games later and the game Monday night. From the jest of the story from both articles I determined that he was fired but then allowed to come back later and reclaim his job. Is that what you carried away from reading both articles Seth or are you saying the suspension/firing never happened?

He was not fired, according to what the Big Ten supervisor said in the Chicago Tribune story, he and his crew were suspended for a game and then returned. The supervisor also says in there that the missed call in that game were not the head referee's.

This was also way back in 2002. I had never heard of this referee before, but I would assume his supervisors feel he's had a good enough 25 years to warrant the national championship assignment.

That all said, my thoughts on the crew's performance are in the Second Glance for everyone to see.

@sethemerson said:

@georgiajeepn said:

@sethemerson said:

@georgiajeepn said:

He was not fired, according to what the Big Ten supervisor said in the Chicago Tribune story, he and his crew were suspended for a game and then returned. The supervisor also says in there that the missed call in that game were not the head referee's.

This was also way back in 2002. I had never heard of this referee before, but I would assume his supervisors feel he's had a good enough 25 years to warrant the national championship assignment.

That all said, my thoughts on the crew's performance are in the Second Glance for everyone to see.

By the way Emerson that was a great read

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Seth, what is your take on Georgia's penalty yards this season? I looked back at three games, the NC game, the SECC game, and the loss at Auburn. Georgia had more penalty yards in all those games, but there were plenty of bad calls against Georgia and bad no calls against the opponent. The disparity between yards was glaring. When there is some penalty not called on just about every play, how can Georgia be so heavily penalized?

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I had kind of moved past the officiating and was just over on the Michigan Board as our friends son Wilton Speight was the Michigan QB the past few years.

I remember watching the Michigan - O$U game last year (2016) pulling hard for Wilton, but frustrated with the officiating. I hit on the Championship Thread curious about their perspective of the game and low and behold they mentioned that it was Capron's Crew that worked the game last year. There were several poor calls and non-calls late in the game and in OT that went against Michigan.

Two of the officials were from the Columbus area.

Wilton has announced he is transferring so I can start hating on both Michigan and O$U again.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/11/29/this-conspiracy-theory-about-the-referees-in-ohio-state-michigan-has-some-merit/

Karma can hurt at times

• donmdonm Posts: 5,627 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@BobcatGrad said:
    I had kind of moved past the officiating and was just over on the Michigan Board as our friends son Wilton Speight was the Michigan QB the past few years.

I remember watching the Michigan - O$U game last year (2016) pulling hard for Wilton, but frustrated with the officiating. I hit on the Championship Thread curious about their perspective of the game and low and behold they mentioned that it was Capron's Crew that worked the game last year. There were several poor calls and non-calls late in the game and in OT that went against Michigan.

Two of the officials were from the Columbus area.

Wilton has announced he is transferring so I can start hating on both Michigan and O$U again.

http://thebiglead.com/2016/11/29/this-conspiracy-theory-about-the-referees-in-ohio-state-michigan-has-some-merit/

interesting.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Something needs to be done. Could we put into place a couple of coach's challenges per game to overturn bad calls? For instance, a targeting penalty will cost 15 yards even if it is determined there was no targeting. Plays like the offsides call on a blocked punt could be overturned.