Thoughts on Tua

pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Everyone seems to think this Tua kid is the second coming. He played well and made some good throws off the bench, but is he really all that? He threw a really bad INT and looked very confused at times. To me he looked exactly like Hurts but with a little better arm. That last TD pass...I could have completed that. The WR was wide open. He had that crazy scramble where he should have been sacked for about a 10 yard loss that might have completely changed the game. If the WR hadn't been so wide open he might not have completed that last TD and they would have been 3rd and very long and out of field goal range in OT (because he got sacked on first down). Seems to me that although he did well, if not for a couple of miracle plays Bama would have lost and nobody would be talking about Tua.

Don't get me wrong. He played remarkably well for a TF coming off the bench...but I didn't see anything that was really special.

Thoughts?

Comments

• cf_ugamancf_ugaman Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

would have to see more from him to decide, really it just comes down to the fact that bama has had #1 recruiting class in the past few years and it showed. I'm with BA when he said the other day that he would take fromm's years worth of work vs Tua's small sample size in the NC

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

The 2 things that stood out to me was arm strength and how fast he could get the ball off. I honestly thought a lot of his throws were prayers, but that is what you get with a confident TF gunslinger.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 770 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I do think he is a special talent. There is exactly ZERO chance Bama could win that game without Tua at QB. There are many SEC fans AND Bama fans who felt he was the better QB at Bama. The big question is: Does Hurts transfer? I think it's 50/50 as of now, but if he does, Bama will be hurting badly at the QB position - especially if Tua receives any kind of game missing injury.

• JayDogJayDog Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What do I think about Bama QB13? I try not to, kid. Seriously, he is good, but with no film on him--we made him look better than he should look. He has an arm, and he is strong. He is not better than Baker Mayfield yet. It will take a few games before I crown him a Heisman candidate.

• DawginSCDawginSC Posts: 26 ✭✭ Sophmore

I think he's got what it takes to be a capable passer and a capable runner.

I'm not saying he's all-everything... but when you have a guy who can run and throw with everything else Bama has going for them, it makes their team much more difficult to beat. We were obviously better than Bama with a running QB. With full preparation time we may still have been able to beat Bama with Tua... but his ability to both throw and run makes their team much more difficult to stop.

• moosmoos Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tua played several times throughout this year. When he did, they were up, but they were still attacking. There were lots of "is the backup better than the starter?" Comments all year. Tua has been considered a better pass threat the whole time.

I don't think Hurts wins the job back.

• jay_kubzzjay_kubzz Posts: 50 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tua is going to be great. He seems like a humble kid with morals so I wish him the best. With that said, our secondary along with poor tackling made him look a lot better than he really played.

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@jay_kubzz said:
    Tua is going to be great. He seems like a humble kid with morals so I wish him the best. With that said, our secondary along with poor tackling made him look a lot better than he really played.

Exactly. I did like his comments after the game. Just when I wanted to hate on him, he made some awesome comments and I was like "crap, now I have to like this kid". Anyway, he got very lucky in that game and one miracle scramble and a blown coverage made him look like a hero. He will tear up the lesser teams they play next year, but LSU and Auburn are going to be tough...then probably us again in the SECCG (where we will have plenty of time to plan for him).

• moosmoos Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

He was 49/77 on the year. 63.6% for 636 yards. 11/2 TD to Int ratio.

The Natty was not the first time he started the second half. He came into their Tennessee also, for example

• Dawg1419Dawg1419 Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

Face it. He is good. Better than eason. IMO.

• greygoose01greygoose01 Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@pgjackson said:
    Everyone seems to think this Tua kid is the second coming. He played well and made some good throws off the bench, but is he really all that? He threw a really bad INT and looked very confused at times. To me he looked exactly like Hurts but with a little better arm. That last TD pass...I could have completed that. The WR was wide open. He had that crazy scramble where he should have been sacked for about a 10 yard loss that might have completely changed the game. If the WR hadn't been so wide open he might not have completed that last TD and they would have been 3rd and very long and out of field goal range in OT (because he got sacked on first down). Seems to me that although he did well, if not for a couple of miracle plays Bama would have lost and nobody would be talking about Tua.

Don't get me wrong. He played remarkably well for a TF coming off the bench...but I didn't see anything that was really special.

Thoughts?

On the “crazy scramble “ where he miraculously came out of that pile, I’m pretty sure bama was holding on that play. Take away all those missed called penalties, and the game was ours

• orlandoorlando Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ Junior

Tua is a good, tough kid and will only get better.
    Dawgs D made him look great.

• WiseDawgWiseDawg Posts: 27 ✭ Freshman

Well just from his tweet about Hurts I would say he's not only good & will only get better.....but has class & is loyal to his team/players. Maybe could teach & from that tweet was tryin to teach others. Tua & family is up there in my book with Eason & his. And he wasn't ask to respond....he took it upon himself.

bit.ly/2Dm8gUm

• hall1138hall1138 Posts: 51 ✭✭ Sophmore

By the time we play him next year we will know how to stop him. Great kid though!

• mqg96mqg96 Posts: 137 ✭✭✭ Junior

He's Russell Wilson's evil cousin.

• ChicagoDawgChicagoDawg Posts: 21 ✭ Freshman

I saw him last year on the All-Star circuit as well as the Championship game. I believe he will be one of the great QB's in Alabama history and very good pro.

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 297 ✭✭✭ Junior

He was exactly the polar opposite of UGA that night. We could get a single break and EVERYTHING broke his way. Pulling out of a pile of 3 defenders, throwing a terrible pick only to have it given right back in better field position, taking a sack in OT that puts you out of field goal range only to connect for 41 yards on the next play. It’s hard to process how badly it went for UGA and how perfect it played out for Tua specifically

• JRT812JRT812 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Tua seems like a great guy... totally an upstanding person to better his community... can’t stand him at this moment.

• daddydawg72daddydawg72 Posts: 412 ✭✭✭ Junior

After watching the game again, I thought he looked pretty good coming in cold like that. He appeared to be good about looking at his 2nd/3rd option & not looking to run until pressured. Yeah, he got lucky on that Ridley TD (no way he's throwing that to him), but he hit other guys in stride. I'm not buying on that last TD he's looking off the safety, but he is looking at his 2nd or 3rd option on that play & not forcing something elsewhere. Cool customer

• RTR4everRTRRTR4everRTR Posts: 24 ✭ Freshman

Tua and Fromm both played like MVP's. I like jalen but Really rather see Tua start next season. He can obviously do much more through the air that Jalen

• UnderDog68UnderDog68 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@RTR4everRTR said:
    Tua and Fromm both played like MVP's. I like jalen but Really rather see Tua start next season. He can obviously do much more through the air that Jalen

Does Hurts stay now, or go? Going to be kinda hard to keep a QB on the bench who saved your bacon in the Title game. No doubt in my mind that UGA wins if Hurts plays the whole game. Bama had only 68 yards of offense in the first half with him in there.

Bama loses 100% if Hurts stays in. Already hearing rumors of Hurts possibly to the Texas longhorns. Best of luck to him whatever he decides.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 114 ✭✭✭ Junior

Hurts to Texas, very interesting. Herman has something cooking out there sure.

Lane kiffin said Tua was gone if Saban had left Jalen in the game. So glad that didn't happen. Would have lost the game and are future QB .

• pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 778 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RTR4everRTR said:
    Lane kiffin said Tua was gone if Saban had left Jalen in the game. So glad that didn't happen. Would have lost the game and are future QB .

Not sure if that is actually true, but if it is that is pretty arrogant for a TF quarterback. Did he think he would roll in and start right away and beat out a guy who is 26-2 (27-2 if you count the NC)?

True. Kiffin may be lying. He likes to create a little drama every now and then.

• RaiderbeaterRaiderbeater Posts: 20 ✭ Freshman

@RTR4everRTR said:

@RTR4everRTR said:

I don’t believe a word out of Lame’s mouth. He said it to get FaceTime and there isn’t a way to prove him wrong.

• RaiderbeaterRaiderbeater Posts: 20 ✭ Freshman

@RTR4everRTR said:

Tua will so very well. The fact that he has a very good arm, CAN move around well, plus has a brain as a TF (didn’t stare down receiver and looked off the safety) means he has tons of upside. He question will be consistency. As a talent he’s leaps and bounds above Hurts and has more tools than Fromm. Fromm has shown he almost always makes the right choice though. Tue has a better arm and is more mobile. Let’s see what happens when he’s the man. Could be great, could be inconsistent. Either way he is very talented and the best choice going forward for Bama.

@Raiderbeater said:

@RTR4everRTR said:

Tua will so very well. The fact that he has a very good arm, CAN move around well, plus has a brain as a TF (didn’t stare down receiver and looked off the safety) means he has tons of upside. He question will be consistency. As a talent he’s leaps and bounds above Hurts and has more tools than Fromm. Fromm has shown he almost always makes the right choice though. Tue has a better arm and is more mobile. Let’s see what happens when he’s the man. Could be great, could be inconsistent. Either way he is very talented and the best choice going forward for Bama.

Now if we can find a field goal kicker we will be set.