Anyone know much about the situation with these players?

BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Marshall Long – Talked about as a possible med DQ. Has he regained his kicking form?
Jaleel Laguins – Is being Scout Team Special Teams player of the Year enough recognition?
Keyon Brown – A rising senior. No reason to leave unless he is told to leave, but he doesn’t see the field much. Where is he on the depth chart?
Jackson Harris – caught two passes in 17, and none after game 4. Was clearly passed by Woerner on the depth chart.
KJ Smith – appears to be buried on the depth chart with a load of new talent on the way
Tae Crowder – Made a HUGE play on ST in the Rose Bowl, but does he see a future on the field after a position change from RB to LB?
Sam Madden – did not travel most away games
Chris Barnes – did not travel most away games
Netori Johnson – Left off travel roster for Tech game in favor of 11 walk ons who were selected to make the trip ahead of him. Too early to call him a bust however the late travel scratch is a concern.

I suspect there might be some attrition in this list.

Comments

• donmdonm Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:
    Marshall Long – Talked about as a possible med DQ. Has he regained his kicking form?
    Jaleel Laguins – Is being Scout Team Special Teams player of the Year enough recognition?
    Keyon Brown – A rising senior. No reason to leave unless he is told to leave, but he doesn’t see the field much. Where is he on the depth chart?
    Jackson Harris – caught two passes in 17, and none after game 4. Was clearly passed by Woerner on the depth chart.
    KJ Smith – appears to be buried on the depth chart with a load of new talent on the way
    Tae Crowder – Made a HUGE play on ST in the Rose Bowl, but does he see a future on the field after a position change from RB to LB?
    Netori Johnson – Left off travel roster for Tech game in favor of 11 walk ons who were selected to make the trip ahead of him. Too early to call him a bust however the late travel scratch is a concern.

Interesting. Should know about some deletions this spring?

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

JMO here.

Brown - Will be a RS Senior so maybe Grad and transfer or return?
    Harris - Only 3 returning TE so expect him to play
    Smith - Walk-on so.....
    Crowder - likely sees playing time as we lost Roquan and Reggie plus Natrez??????
    Madden/Barnes - ?????
    Gibbs/Patrick/Stanley also ??????

We have to lose 4 scholarship players before June 1 to have available for 2018 class. I am predicting 2 offense and 2 defense.

• BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 559 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Denmen185 said:

JMO here.

Smith - Walk-on so.....
    Crowder - likely sees playing time as we lost Roquan and Reggie plus Natrez??????
    Madden/Barnes - ?????

We have to lose 4 scholarship players before June 1 to have available for 2018 class. I am predicting 2 offense and 2 defense.

Probably won't see much action here until after Spring practice, when more information might also be available on any potential non-qualifiers. The quality walk-ons recruited on the OL also cast an eye toward that area of the roster for potential "trimming".

I think Kirby is legitimately trying to help Natrez, but you have to think a significant suspension will be silently leveled.

@Bankwalker said:

@Denmen185 said:

JMO here.

Smith - Walk-on so.....
    Madden/Barnes - ?????

Probably won't see much action here until after Spring practice, when more information might also be available on any potential non-qualifiers. The quality walk-ons recruited on the OL also cast an eye toward that area of the roster for potential "trimming".

I think Kirby is legitimately trying to help Natrez, but you have to think a significant suspension will be silently leveled.

Well we recruited 5 and lost 3 and are 2 over MY target of 15 scholarship OL

BTW I have us 3 over on DB.

@Bankwalker said:

@Denmen185 said:

JMO here.

Smith - Walk-on so.....
    Madden/Barnes - ?????

I think it will be internal and is on-going. Kirby recently said NP was doing all we asked of him.

Something has to happen in the kicking game. I doubt we carry 3 scholarship kickers for another year, much less the 2 years of eligibility Long has remaining. That's without mentioning he qualified for a redshirt in 2017, so technically he has 3 years left.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@Bankwalker said:

@Denmen185 said:

JMO here.

Smith - Walk-on so.....
    Madden/Barnes - ?????

Natrez has already received his suspension Rose bowl and NCG.

He might see the field against MTSU, but should be more along the lines of UT or LSU, imho. 3rd strike overturned on a technicality so the punishment is less than the 2nd offense? People will shrug and get over it if he starts the season, but this situation will be remembered in short order if discipline problems develop like we saw under Richt for a period of time. The timing of the offense is the worst thing about it. He chose to let his team down at the very worst possible time.

@Bankwalker said:
    He might see the field against MTSU, but should be more along the lines of UT or LSU, imho. 3rd strike overturned on a technicality so the punishment is less than the 2nd offense? People will shrug and get over it if he starts the season, but this situation will be remembered in short order if discipline problems develop like we saw under Richt for a period of time. The timing of the offense is the worst thing about it. He chose to let his team down at the very worst possible time.

He is needed more during the first few games to give stability to the line backers. By the fifth game of the year against Tennessee all the young line backers should be ready to take over. Going into the season 'Natrez Patrick, D'Andre Walker and Keyon Brown are the senior line backers. Keyon Brown and David Marshall are the two junior line backers the rest are sophomores and freshmen. I would sure like to have the experience of Natrez Patrick, D'Andre Walker, David Marshall and Tae Crowder available early in the season. As much as i like the talent of Robert Beal Jr., Walter Grant, Jaden Hunter, Nate McBride and Monty Rice I would like it if they could work into starting role at their own pace.

@oldon42 said:

@Bankwalker said:

He is needed more during the first few games to give stability to the line backers. By the fifth game of the year against Tennessee all the young line backers should be ready to take over. Going into the season 'Natrez Patrick, D'Andre Walker and Keyon Brown are the senior line backers. Keyon Brown and David Marshall are the two junior line backers the rest are sophomores and freshmen. I would sure like to have the experience of Natrez Patrick, D'Andre Walker, David Marshall and Tae Crowder available early in the season. As much as i like the talent of Robert Beal Jr., Walter Grant, Jaden Hunter, Nate McBride and Monty Rice I would like it if they could work into starting role at their own pace.

It is my sincere hope that CKS will not hand out discipline based on the team's needs on the field. Recipe for disaster.

@Bankwalker said:

It is my sincere hope that CKS will not hand out discipline based on the team's needs on the field. Recipe for disaster.

When Georgia is more concerned with punishing their players than any of the opponents It is a recipe for disaster on and off the field. It seems to me and I am of the opinion that cannabis is a very dangerous drug. Far more dangerous than alcohol to the non First American population because the human race has been adapting to its use for thousands of years. If a player has made a large effort to gain control of their self's further punishment baring other circumstances is counter productive.

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Agree with Bankealker that teams needs should not dictate how we discipline our players. Given the way the violation occurred (probation department test) and the fact that he hasn't been kicked off team already, doesn't seem it will be counted as his third offense. I don't think he will face any further suspension.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Junior

In the games Natrez missed. Do y’all think the his replacements played poorly? Seem to me the played well.

How much of Baker carving us up had to do with Natrez absence?

• VaBeachDawgVaBeachDawg Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bigcalidawg said:
    In the games Natrez missed. Do y’all think the his replacements played poorly? Seem to me the played well.

The only play I thought natrez would have made a difference was the 3 and 12 stramble by Tua where he somehow pulled away from I think walker, Ledbetter and Reggie Carter. It’s purely speculation, but in my gut I think natrezs lays the wood and makes the sack.

• BigcalidawgBigcalidawg Posts: 628 ✭✭✭ Junior

Ok. I’m glad to see Natrez back, but I liked the play of Rice and I’m hopeful for McBride

@Bigcalidawg said:
    Ok. I’m glad to see Natrez back, but I liked the play of Rice and I’m hopeful for McBride

McBride is going to be a beast. Possibly legendary. Uhrlacher Kuechly type player. 10.7 100m at 6' 2" 230lbs.

@Bankwalker said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

McBride is going to be a beast. Possibly legendary. Uhrlacher Kuechly type player. 10.7 100m at 6' 2" 230lbs.

Legendary? He might want to work on starting first. He's got a battle on his hands to get on the field it seems. Not counting him out by any means, just being what I think is realistic.

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Legendary? He might want to work on starting first. He's got a battle on his hands to get on the field it seems. Not counting him out by any means, just being what I think is realistic.

Hard to tell how he’s progressed with only playing on special teams mainly. But going off his high school tape he seemed to have bad tackling fundamentals and got by on pure size and speed. I’m sure he’s working on it, but yeah, hard to say legendary when he hasn’t cracked the two deep yet. Although, I don’t think any of us will mind if he becomes legendary.

@Bigcalidawg said:

A lot insofar as Okla ran the ball as Carter looked lost. That caused the D to increase their focus on the RB and not the WR

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Hard to tell how he’s progressed with only playing on special teams mainly. But going off his high school tape he seemed to have bad tackling fundamentals and got by on pure size and speed. I’m sure he’s working on it, but yeah, hard to say legendary when he hasn’t cracked the two deep yet. Although, I don’t think any of us will mind if he becomes legendary.

And Roquan did what during his freshman year?

• TeddyTeddy Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Bankwalker said:

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Big difference, we know what Roquan became. We don’t know either way with McBride. Not saying he won’t, but legendary is a big word to throw around.

edited February 12

@Teddy said:

@Bankwalker said:

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

@Teddy said:

@donm said:

@Bankwalker said:

@Bigcalidawg said:

Big difference, we know what Roquan became. We don’t know either way with McBride. Not saying he won’t, but legendary is a big word to throw around.

And that's how I meant it, although I will admit its getting ahead of myself by more than a tad. He is FASTER than Roquan and has 20 lbs on him. Bench presses over 400. He has better measurables than perhaps any ILB we have ever had. Will it translate on the field? Who knows? Freakish athleticism does not mean good football player. I realize he could also wind up on the ash heap of broken dreams and wasted potential, like countless prospects before him.

• CZCashvilleDawgCZCashvilleDawg Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Can’t measure instincts

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 208 ✭✭✭ Junior

@oldon42 said:

@Bankwalker said:

When Georgia is more concerned with punishing their players than any of the opponents It is a recipe for disaster on and off the field. It seems to me and I am of the opinion that cannabis is a very dangerous drug. Far more dangerous than alcohol to the non First American population because the human race has been adapting to its use for thousands of years. If a player has made a large effort to gain control of their self's further punishment baring other circumstances is counter productive.

Re:pot

Most of the rest of the world disagrees with you Mr. Sessions.

Hmm. I tried to post but it disappeared. A re-try here. I just mentioned that 40 yd time or 100m time are straight ahead speed. Not the same as lateral speed. Also, we don't yet know about Nate's football instincts. So, I urged some restraint before we anointed him the next Urlacher or Kuechle.

Hmm. I tried to post but it disappeared. A re-try here. I just mentioned that 40 yd time or 100m time are straight ahead speed. Not the same as lateral speed. Also, we don't yet know about Nate's football instincts. So, I urged some restraint before we anointed him the next Urlacher or Kuechle.

@donm said:

I'm only going to respond to you once, if that's okay. Ha! If it is okay to say we are going to blow out Florida and South Carolina again then I can massively overstate one player's potential. Agreed. An over the top comparison.

@Bankwalker said:

@donm said:

I'm only going to respond to you once, if that's okay. Ha! If it is okay to say we are going to blow out Florida and South Carolina again then I can massively overstate one player's potential. Agreed. An over the top comparison.

Agreed.