Pace Academy's OL coach Kevin Johnson

benjaminwgreggbenjaminwgregg Posts: 193 ✭✭✭ Junior

Andrew Thomas astounded everyone this year with the speed at which he adapted to college offensive line play as a true freshman. All the reports about Salyer is that he's the kind who'll be competing for a starting job day one. If this coach is consistently producing college ready offensive lineman like this, he knows how to develop the position, and hopefully Kirby Smart is keeping tabs on him for whenever Pittboss is inevitably poached.

Comments

• KaseyKasey Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Could see him offered a support position one day.

• BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@donm said:
    Pittboss aint going nowhere. Already said this is his last stop and wants to retire in Athens.

I hope that is how it all works out, and that he has a lot of years left in his career. However, if not, then I am in agreement with benjaminwgregg; have had the same thought for a while. I'm sure someone in the college ranks will see what a great coach he is and snap him up before too long. As long as he is there I am hoping for some more of his great product to head on over to Athens.

• levanderlevander Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Only way we’ll see Pace’s OL coach at UGA is if he has young kids going to school here and he refuses to leave until they graduate.

Or maybe some day he’ll come back to Georgia. Who knows?

I hope Pace Academy is working in their succession plan so they can take advantage of the reputation they’re developing.

• 3rdshift3rdshift Posts: 235 ✭✭✭ Junior

Imo kj is a great coach no matter where he is...opinion based on small sample size..but his guys seem to be much more than athletes blessed with huge size and strength. Lots of HS coaches are considered great by keeping talented kids on track. Kj is producing smart coachable technicians. Maybe thats a credit to the hs teachers and parents as well, but andrew was as prepared.

• dawgwood82dawgwood82 Posts: 187 ✭✭✭ Junior

I'd imagine he gets an off field role somewhere soon....of for no more reason than to play keep away from rivals. Hopefully Kirby snags him up soon

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

No offense to Kevin Johnson who I know is an excellent football coach and a great mentor, I would think there would be a better chance of Pace Head Coach Chris Slade as the next DL coach at UGA and not Kevin as OL.

With that said, while I saw Chris play in person in college, but have never spoken with him, I have a feeling he is pretty happy at Pace Academy. I imagine he "Banked" more of his NFL income than most players.

Nice Interview with Chris on Jamaree;

I know I have posted this before, but thought I would for some of the newer folks on the board. Gives you great insight on Chris Slade's background who played for four different NFL Coaches, all of whom Coached a winning Super Bowl team (Pete Carroll, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick and George Seifert).

• HerschelismyHeroHerschelismyHero Posts: 545 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 22

I spoke with Kevin this week about this very topic. He’s been contacted by a number of different college programs to come join their staff but he’s not leaving Pace at any point in the near future. He’s very happy where he is working with the kids at Pace. His daughter plays hoops at Liberty and his son is the QB at Richmond so Pace offers him the time and chance to participate with them. For Kevin it’s not about the money as much as it is about developing the entire player, his skill set as well as his personality, temperament and who the kid is as noted by @3rdshift. Some day he will make the leap, but for an opportunity that offers him the chance to work with the kid from a more wholistic perspective as opposed to a specific position coach. Something more like a Jonas Jennings role. Kevin is an amazing individual. Any school would be lucky to get him.

• Chip_TowersChip_Towers Posts: 30 mod

I agree with everyone's assessment about Kevin. He's an awesome O-line coach and Pace Academy and head coach Chris Slade are very blessed to have him. Unfortunately Georgia couldn't hire him if they wanted to right now because it has several players on its roster from Pace. That's an unfortunate new rule but something the NCAA felt was necessary because some schools were offering support positions as recruiting enticements for prospects. A few bad apples spoiled many opportunities for many capable coaches. Same deal on camp participation.

• amjadawgsamjadawgs Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Chip_Towers, I’m not sure exactly how the rule works. I understand that something had to be done regarding hiring HS staff coaches just to get the inside favorite for certain recruits, but how does it work if the coach spends a year at a JUCO? Example, I can’t remember the JUCO that Wyatt attended, but hypothetically, how would it work if a HS coach happened to coach for this JUCO one year and was hired at UGA the next year? Of course, I’m not implying that “could” happen, but does it violate the existing rule?

• donmdonm Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

AH, amjadwags, you are a sly one. I like it!!

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 22

@dawgwood82 said:
    I'd imagine he gets an off field role somewhere soon....of for no more reason than to play keep away from rivals. Hopefully Kirby snags him up soon

The new rule prohibits the school from signing any recruits from that HS for 2 years and also deems any student recruited in the last 2 years ineligible for 2 years. That means Thomas, Trey Blount and Salyer would not be allowed to play next year and Salyer not in 2019 either.

• Denmen185Denmen185 Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

He could be hired as an on-field coach however.

• oldon42oldon42 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I can see someone like Kevin Johnson suing the NCAA for restraint of trade and wining. Not saying it would be Kevin Johnson but something very like this is what made the NBA and NFL draft sophomores and juniors.

• JeffSentellJeffSentell Posts: 2,373 admin

@HerschelismyHero said:
    I spoke with Kevin this week about this very topic. He’s been contacted by a number of different college programs to come join their staff but he’s not leaving Pace at any point in the near future. He’s very happy where he is working with the kids at Pace. His daughter plays hoops at Liberty and his son is the QB at Richmond so Pace offers him the time and chance to participate with them. For Kevin it’s not about the money as much as it is about developing the entire player, his skill set as well as his personality, temperament and who the kid is as noted by @3rdshift. Someday he will make the leap, but for an opportunity that offers him the chance to work with the kid from a more holistic perspective as opposed to a specific position coach. Something more like a Jonas Jennings role. Kevin is an amazing individual. Any school would be lucky to get him.

This is pretty much exactly the conversation that I've had with "CoachKev" regarding this topic. He wants to deal with the players on campus and their hearts and minds and making the right decisions after they have made their recruiting decision.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 23

Kevin was second on the depth chart last year at Richmond behind Kyle Lauletta who graduated and was invited to the NFL Combine after an excellent performance earning MVP Honors in the Reeses ALL Star game. I attended both G-Day and the Spiders Spring Game last Spring and plan to do so again.

• andrews1253andrews1253 Posts: 358 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Denmen185 said:

@dawgwood82 said:

The new rule prohibits the school from signing any recruits from that HS for 2 years and also deems any student recruited in the last 2 years ineligible for 2 years. That means Thomas, Trey Blount and Salyer would not be allowed to play next year and Salyer not in 2019 either.

Sounds like student athletes are being held hostage. Wonder if there might be some legal problems with making players ineligible for what future hires might occur? I disdain any notion of using athletes to maintain control.

• dawgwood82dawgwood82 Posts: 187 ✭✭✭ Junior

@Denmen185 said:

@dawgwood82 said:

Thanks Den....forgot about the rule change.