Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.

Congrats to Bubba Watson on 10th PGA win

coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

It was good to see another former Dawg golfer win a PGA tournament, as Bubba Watson won for the tenth time. Bubba and all the other former Dawgs are great representatives of UGA athletics, as at least one of them seem to be in contention every tournament. It's always good when they show the leaderboard with the player's college team logos and you see the Georgia power G's by their names. Georgia sports probably gets more recognition from golf than any sport other than football.

Comments

• dawgbybirthdawgbybirth Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Agree. Georgia collectively wins alot for one school. When you win in golf, you compete against the world.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

What ailment is Bubba recovering from?

• coastaldawgcoastaldawg Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Not sure. Saw an interview on SportsCenter where he said he lost 20 pounds from some ailment and that he had a hard time putting muscle back on, talked about how he considered retiring. He was vey emotional in interview after the tournament.

• dawfanfromalabamdawfanfromalabam Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@coastaldawg said:
    Not sure. Saw an interview on SportsCenter where he said he lost 20 pounds from some ailment and that he had a hard time putting muscle back on, talked about how he considered retiring. He was vey emotional in interview after the tournament.

He’s very emotional after every win. That’s who he is.

• BobcatGradBobcatGrad Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Congratulations to Bubba!

BA / @DawgNationDaily needs to honor Bubba by supersizing his “G” on his gray pullover that Mike Johnson and others have made fun of.

• MarkBoknechtMarkBoknecht Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Many players set up for the "high fade" or "high cut". And Bubba's in that group. Only it seems that on some of the holes, it doesn't cut at all. It just goes straight. 350 yards straight. It's just amazing. I would be happy with 250 straight.
    From a fellow lefty.

• SIlverCreekDawgSIlverCreekDawg Posts: 110 ✭✭✭ Junior

Time for me to get on my soapbox concerning the one sport I do know something about, having been a walkon on the UGA golf team and a pro for 6 years after college.

Bubba hits golf shots, unlike a lot of today's pros. Bubba hits it high, low, right to left and left to right. He shapes his shots. Most guys today bomb it as far as they can, straight. A large part of this is due to today's equipment. The modern ball and clubs have taken the artistry out of the game and turned it into a power exhibition. The ball doesn't curve like it used to and the clubs are so large, mishits are virtually non existent. Good for amateurs, but makes the pro game way too easy.

Guys who can do what Bubba does with a golf ball are a rare commodity these days, and golf is the poorer for it.

• orlandoorlando Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think Mickelson along with Watson are the best at using all their skills to “hit” the shot they want.
    Speaking of equipment, can you imagine Jack, who could drive the ball 330 to 350, using one of today’s drivers in his prime.

• JimDawg85JimDawg85 Posts: 364 ✭✭✭ Junior

I saw Bubba on the putting green at The Masters last year and was shocked by how rail-thin he was. At the time, the explanation was they he was on some special diet similar to Dustin Johnson (who is also a size 30 waist). To me, it appeared that he had either been sick or under a great deal of stress (my guess was marital problems). I was happy to see him looking happier and healthier last week at Riviera. Good win for Bubba and hopefully he will be back in contention again at Augusta in April.

• ReeldawgReeldawg Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited February 2018

@JimDawg85 said:
    I saw Bubba on the putting green at The Masters last year and was shocked by how rail-thin he was. At the time, the explanation was they he was on some special diet similar to Dustin Johnson (who is also a size 30 waist). To me, it appeared that he had either been sick or under a great deal of stress (my guess was marital problems). I was happy to see him looking happier and healthier last week at Riviera. Good win for Bubba and hopefully he will be back in contention again at Augusta in April.

He was around 165 pounds (maybe less) at 6’3” last year at the Masters. Turns out your observation was correct. He was suffering from an undisclosed illness.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/thegolfnewsnet.com/ryan_ballengee/2018/02/17/bubba-watson-dealt-undisclosed-illness-2017-considered-retirement-108451/amp/

He seems to be back where he once was and ditched those putt-putt balls for Titleist. Now he is winning again.

Right now would be a good time to place a bet on him to win this year’s Masters.