Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Basketball coach....

bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

A friend of mine is an attorney.

He always says “the Number one rule is never ask a question that you don’t already know the question to...”

Why would you ask someone to be your coach... let it go public, if you didn’t know they’d say yes?

That makes your program look less desirable.

When I asked my wife to marry me, there was NO question what her answer was going to be...
What in the world!
Embarrassing

Comments

• Options
    bmauldinbmauldin Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@ghostofuga1 said:

@bmauldin said:

He always says “the Number one rule is never ask a question that you don’t already know the question to...”

Why would you ask someone to be your coach... let it go public, if you didn’t know they’d say yes?

When I asked my wife to marry me, there was NO question what her answer was going to be...
    What in the world!
    Embarrassing

Did you offer her 3 mil a year for the first 5 years of marriage......? JK...

Indecent proposal sequel?...

• Options
    TDawgTDawg Posts: 163 ✭✭✭ Junior

I agree this is embarrassing getting turned down by a OSU reject. The coach we want has a solid resume and needs to be blowing up our phones for an interview. This is a golden opportunity because GA is talent rich in basketball just like football.

• Options
    AndersonDawgAndersonDawg Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@bmauldin said:

What in the world!
    Embarrassing

Agree wholeheartedly!

At this level job, especially one this widely followed, you do not make an offer public unless you know 100% that the answer is going to be YES! I hope we don’t wind up looking like the UT football fiasco/train wreck.

• Options
    PlayHurtPlayHurt Posts: 999 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Good job McGarity!

• Options
    TARDAWGTARDAWG Posts: 66 ✭✭ Sophomore

News flash, the UT Football coaching job is better than the UGA Basketball job. Top tier coaches are not going to be beating our door down. It was clear to everyone we had to make an offer to Matta, he was 100% the best coach on the market (even though it looks like he really was not). The next coach will not get the same treatment ( IMO).

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I think the offer at least showed that UGA is trying to get serious about the basketball program, which may peak the interest of other good coaches. Doesn't necessarily mean that it will work, but worth a shot considering the current state of the program.

• Options
    JRT812JRT812 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Teddy said:
    I think the offer at least showed that UGA is trying to get serious about the basketball program, which may peak the interest of other good coaches. Doesn't necessarily mean that it will work, but worth a shot considering the current state of the program.

If Gregory was serious then he would have either made an offer that couldn’t have been refused or done his due diligence and interviewed a guy who wanted to coach

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@Teddy said:

If Gregory was serious then he would have either made an offer that couldn’t have been refused or done his due diligence and interviewed a guy who wanted to coach

I'm not a McGarity supporter whatsoever, but do at least appreciate that he went after the best available. And how often is UGA even in the running to get the best available coach in basketball? Also, he would've been made the second highest paid coach in the SEC. Pretty fair price for a guy with chronic back issues. If he came in and won on the court and in recruiting he would've gotten more pay. If the guy is acting like he wants to coach, what more can you do? Matta may just be fronting like he wants to coach, so that he can continue to cash those $100k/mo. checks from OSU.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@JRT812 said:

@Teddy said:

I'm not a McGarity supporter whatsoever, but do at least appreciate that he went after the best available. And how often is UGA even in the running to get the best available coach in basketball? Also, he would've been made the second highest paid coach in the SEC. Pretty fair price for a guy with chronic back issues. If he came in and won on the court and in recruiting he would've gotten more pay. If the guy is acting like he wants to coach, what more can you do? Matta may just be fronting like he wants to coach, so that he can continue to cash those $100k/mo. checks from OSU.

Apparently we weren’t ever in the running because he wasn’t ready to coach again. Why waste the time and then allow the public to get wind of it? Should have discussed the 100k checks before coming to Athens.

I agree the price was a great offer

• Options

@JRT812 said:

@Teddy said:

@JRT812 said:

@Teddy said:

Apparently we weren’t ever in the running because he wasn’t ready to coach again. Why waste the time and then allow the public to get wind of it? Should have discussed the 100k checks before coming to Athens.

He was interested enough to come down and interview, along with bring his wife down to check out Athens. I'd say that shows he's fairly interested. And it was Matta that leaked he had the job offer, not UGA's doing.

• Options

@Teddy said:

@JRT812 said:

@Teddy said:

@JRT812 said:

@Teddy said:

He was interested enough to come down and interview, along with bring his wife down to check out Athens. I'd say that shows he's fairly interested. And it was Matta that leaked he had the job offer, not UGA's doing.

A guy at the local ford dealership that I have purchased a few trucks from talked me into looking at the new 250’s. Kept saying no on the phone and wasn’t wanting to purchase a new truck. Long story short, I made my way down there and the new ford truck smell gets me every time. Then I saw the the 80k + price tag and I had to refuse the offer they made me. They also let me walk out after my counter.

Probably wrong, but I see Matta saying no at first and Gregory saying “just come down”. Matta came but said no after because he never wanted to come here but originally tried to use this to see what other offers he could get from schools. Didn’t work.

Did the same thing between the local Chevy and Ford dealership. Still in my old truck.