Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

John Emery Jr. ..... Maybe, just maybe, as good as it gets?

Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

I went back and took a closer look at his videos and to say I was thoroughly impressed is an understatement. I can't vouch for his power. speed, durability or ball protection but when it comes to just running the ball, I don't think I've ever seen anybody at any level do it any better. His vision and timing is as good as it gets. He absolutely knows how to set up his blockers. Every burst, hesitation, head fake, cut, heck every move is perfection and every run is maximized. I realize these his "highlights" so I was trying not to get too carried away, but I challenge you to watch these and other videos very closely and tell me I'm wrong. So glad he's a Dawg!

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7392097/57f94bf2f617083edc4ef375
https://www.hudl.com/video/3/7392097/584375e6dfd8b7230c0b3ffc

Comments

• Options
    MacDawg15MacDawg15 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

ABSOLUTELY agree. IT'D be almost crazy RIGHT NOW to say he'll be better than Michel. But this kid's THE REAL DEAL!!! When he puts his foot in the ground and cuts, he doesn't lose ANY speed, and he looks to have great patience, vision, and power. Can you imagine us throwin Zeus, Cook and this kid at teams the next few years?? The best hs tape I've seen was from Zeus, but this kid is only a whisker behind if at all. HUGE GET. If any fanbase Still wants to say we're not RBU you've lost your **** mind..

• Options
    GordonBombayGordonBombay Posts: 101 ✭✭✭ Junior

Speed is the real deal and cutting is the real deal. For these vids, please ignore all long touchdown runs that come without contact. Please pay close attention to what happens with contact. He’s elusive as heck, but when guys get their arms on him, he’s down. He’s no Gurley. He’s no Chubb. Michel is a pretty apt comparison, as is Keith Marshall. I say all these things to temper expectations but please be dang excited he’s a dawg!

• Options
    pgjacksonpgjackson Posts: 17,728 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GordonBombay said:
    Speed is the real deal and cutting is the real deal. For these vids, please ignore all long touchdown runs that come without contact. Please pay close attention to what happens with contact. He’s elusive as heck, but when guys get their arms on him, he’s down. He’s no Gurley. He’s no Chubb. Michel is a pretty apt comparison, as is Keith Marshall. I say all these things to temper expectations but please be dang excited he’s a dawg!

Not sure what videos you are watching, but he breaks a lot of tackles in this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FQes1BmkH2Q

• Options
    jarred_buckjarred_buck Posts: 958 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@GordonBombay said:

I’m with @Red_N_Black, I’m seeing something special. It’s especially evident in the vision that this kid has. I think you need to raise your expectations a little! Get crunk!

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

Not sure what videos you are watching, but he breaks a lot of tackles in this one.

He does indeed, but not like a Chubb, Gurley, or white. I’m excited about his potential, he’ll be a great back, but I’m not ready to compare him to any of our better backs just yet. Definitely happy to hear other opinions and glad you guys disagree!

• Options

@GordonBombay said:

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

He does indeed, but not like a Chubb, Gurley, or white. I’m excited about his potential, he’ll be a great back, but I’m not ready to compare him to any of our better backs just yet. Definitely happy to hear other opinions and glad you guys disagree!

He’s a HS kid. Chubb, Gurley and Michel were all 225lbs+ Elite RBs in the SEC. Give the kid a break. I’m sure he will come in, put on 20lbs, and be another stud.

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

Also, went back to watch the video you referenced. He’s elusive as anything which I don’t deny. All tackles he “breaks” he’s at the defenders fingertips essentially because of his elusiveness. In that video, there’s one Gurley/Chubb run and it starts at about 1:25. Don’t think I’m saying he’s not a great runner, he’s amazing. I just am seeing different things.

• Options
    WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Mmm, mmm, mmm! I haven't seen a lot of vid on this kid but my goodness! Silky smooth...his feet and vision are the two things that pop the most for me. Turns on a dime, and reaches top end very quickly. I know other posters have already said, but he does remind me a lot of Michel's HS film. He breaks tackles too but not at the level he will when they add 10-15 lbs to his frame at UGA. I'm impressed, and that's hard to do on HS film.

• Options

@GordonBombay said:

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

Also, went back to watch the video you referenced. He’s elusive as anything which I don’t deny. All tackles he “breaks” he’s at the defenders fingertips essentially because of his elusiveness. In that video, there’s one Gurley/Chubb run and it starts at about 1:25. Don’t think I’m saying he’s not a great runner, he’s amazing. I just am seeing different things.

I don’t think anyone knows what you are talking about.

• Options

I’m comparing high school tape to high school tape. Kid is gonna be a baller whether he’s a Sony or a Chubb.

• Options

EXACTLY my thoughts bud. He'll add 10-15 lbs and really become a beast when Sinclair gets ahold of him!

• Options

And another P.S. to cancel out my detractors ... our offensive line will be insane for years to come so hopefully he’ll have the holes he gets in high school and I won’t have to worry about that whole “contact” thing.

• Options

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

@pgjackson said:

@GordonBombay said:

I don’t think anyone knows what you are talking about.

You’ll get there in time.

• Options
    WildDawgWildDawg Posts: 437 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@MacDawg15 said:
    ABSOLUTELY agree. IT'D be almost crazy RIGHT NOW to say he'll be better than Michel. But this kid's THE REAL DEAL!!! When he puts his foot in the ground and cuts, he doesn't lose ANY speed, and he looks to have great patience, vision, and power. Can you imagine us throwin Zeus, Cook and this kid at teams the next few years?? The best hs tape I've seen was from Zeus, but this kid is only a whisker behind if at all. HUGE GET. If any fanbase Still wants to say we're not RBU you've lost your **** mind..

1000% agree...and call me crazy but I like his film as much as Zeus'. He's got all the tools...now he'll have to learn to block like an SEC back and be a receiving threat as well, but the pure talent is evident. Excited to see our 4 deep in a couple years- Swift, Zeus, Cook, Emory. No wonder the lizards are crying and hugging their hot rocks just a little tighter. Poor bast-urds...would you want your D to be staring at that every down. He-ll NO!!!

• Options
    levanderlevander Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

Emery probably is my least favorite of the 3 5* RB’s they got on the roster now. But one thing that really struck me is several times on his highlights, it was almost like he’d freeze defenders just by staring them down. And then he’d be running off, and the defender would be having trouble moving his feet, then Emery’d Be gone. One example of that is at 1:12 in the first video in the OP. Right at about 1:12 he breaks a tackle on the line. Then the next guy with a shot at him is maybe a linebackers, but Emery does that “freeze you with my eyeballs!” thing and runs by him.

• Options
    SWGADAWGSWGADAWG Posts: 248 ✭✭✭ Junior

I’m guilty of it too, but people always go for the past dawg comparisons. If I do I say he looks like Knowshon.. if I don’t I say he looks like TJ Yeldon. Like Sony and the guys above emery looks to have to elite cut while in space and not losing much speed.

• Options

To me I thought that at 1st sight, but seems to have a lil more wiggle imo.

• Options

@WildDawg said:

@MacDawg15 said:

1000% agree...and call me crazy but I like his film as much as Zeus'. He's got all the tools...now he'll have to learn to block like an SEC back and be a receiving threat as well, but the pure talent is evident. Excited to see our 4 deep in a couple years- Swift, Zeus, Cook, Emory. No wonder the lizards are crying and hugging their hot rocks just a little tighter. Poor bast-urds...would you want your D to be staring at that every down. He-ll NO!!!

DEAD ON bud!

• Options

@levander said:
    Emery probably is my least favorite of the 3 5* RB’s they got on the roster now. But one thing that really struck me is several times on his highlights, it was almost like he’d freeze defenders just by staring them down. And then he’d be running off, and the defender would be having trouble moving his feet, then Emery’d Be gone. One example of that is at 1:12 in the first video in the OP. Right at about 1:12 he breaks a tackle on the line. Then the next guy with a shot at him is maybe a linebackers, but Emery does that “freeze you with my eyeballs!” thing and runs by him.

The guy changes speed and direction like a gazelle. He is very light on his feet. Seems to be thinking two steps ahead of everyone else.

• Options
    PeachCoDawgPeachCoDawg Posts: 489 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

named > @GordonBombay said:

He's a mid teen in those videos. He's got another year in HS and you're comparing his abilities to polished, brutal SEC backs? Give the kid some time. They all needed it. If White hadn't tore his knee up, I'd say he's the closest to a real SEC back coming right in, but they all have to develop A LOT! We'll make him a stud