Home General
Hey folks - as a member of the DawgNation community, please remember to abide by simple rules of civil engagement with other members:

- Please no inappropriate usernames (remember that there may be youngsters in the room)

- Personal attacks on other community members are unacceptable, practice the good manners your mama taught you when engaging with fellow Dawg fans

- Use common sense and respect personal differences in the community: sexual and other inappropriate language or imagery, political rants and belittling the opinions of others will get your posts deleted and result in warnings and/ or banning from the forum

- 3/17/19 UPDATE -- We've updated the permissions for our "Football" and "Commit to the G" recruiting message boards. We aim to be the best free board out there and that has not changed. We do now ask that all of you good people register as a member of our forum in order to see the sugar that is falling from our skies, so to speak.
Options

Hello! There's new rule that nobody seems to be aware of

Red_N_BlackRed_N_Black Posts: 353 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

Even at this point 2 weeks into the season it seems evident that many head coaches are still totally unaware of the new 2018 rule change which immediately starts the 40 second play clock after a kickoff. This occurs whether there's a touchback, a fair catch, or a return. Coaches have continued to huddle up on the sidelines with their offensive team just like they always have in the past, all the while oblivious to the fact that the play clock is running down. I've seen this happen in game after game. A few coaches have realized what is going on and had to waste a time-out, but most including our CKS never catch it and cost their team a delay of game penalty. Mullen actually had his offense run wide open onto the field to try to beat the clock. I guess everybody will eventually get used to this new rule and adjust, but it just seems hard to believe that this keeps happening in this day and age of big time college football.

Comments

• Options
    biggenbiggen Posts: 22 ✭✭ Sophomore

I mean, its a 5 yard penalty on the extra point, right? Not really a big deal.

• Options
    TeddyTeddy Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@biggen said:
    I mean, its a 5 yard penalty on the extra point, right? Not really a big deal.

He said after a kickoff, not a touchdown. PATs have always had a play clock though.

• Options
    BEACHDAWGBEACHDAWG Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@Red_N_Black. Actually Mullen has set a "new standard" that his players are going to have to get used to. That's why they were running fast for an extra point try. Catch all the video on Mullen that you can, fantastic comedy theater!

• Options
    JayDogJayDog Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

I don't see how this rule will shorten games--assuming that's the purpose. They need to fix the targeting rule before goofing up other things. Every penalty costs more time than they will save with this "d u m b" rule.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@JayDog said:
    I don't see how this rule will shorten games--assuming that's the purpose. They need to fix the targeting rule before goofing up other things. Every penalty costs more time than they will save with this "d u m b" rule.

I think it might be a good bit of time. It was not uncommon for teams to stand around for a full minute before they go out after a KO. There was never a sense of urgency after any KO. In a high scoring game that amount to 10 minutes.

• Options
    BigGAdawgBigGAdawg Posts: 575 ✭✭✭✭ Senior

@BEACHDAWG said:
    @Red_N_Black. Actually Mullen has set a "new standard" that his players are going to have to get used to. That's why they were running fast for an extra point try. Catch all the video on Mullen that you can, fantastic comedy theater!

Made all the more humorous by his Big Goofy Clown Face.

• Options
    DawgFan2008DawgFan2008 Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

Didn't Jake Fromm get a delay of game in 2nd quarter after a kickoff.

• Options
    RockSpringDawgRockSpringDawg Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@DawgFan2008, I remember the delay of game & thinking “How do we get a delay on the first play of a drive?” Wasn’t aware of the new rule until this post.

• Options
    BankwalkerBankwalker Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate

@RockSpringDawg said:
    @DawgFan2008, I remember the delay of game & thinking “How do we get a delay on the first play of a drive?” Wasn’t aware of the new rule until this post.

New rule be damned. Question still stands. Its not like the coaches didnt know for several minutes the offense was about to take the field.

• Options
    DawgFan2008DawgFan2008 Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ Junior

@RockSpringDawg Me too on the rule. That's why I thought to mention that penalty. Also @Bankwalker true the coaches should have had the play call in and players lined up . No reason ever for delay of game.

• Options
    mattmd2mattmd2 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭ Graduate
    edited September 2018

Disregard - answered my own question! Have a nice day.